Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Beer Thread

RedskinsFanInTX

Dude, Sam Adams has been coming out with so many IPA variations that it's hard to take them seriously. White Lantern, Double Agent, Juniper, Whitewater, Rebel...that's just off the top of my head!

It will be interesting, and likely hilarious, to read reviews for their attempt at a "West Coast IPA".

I've tried most of them.  I haven't tried "Rebel IPA" which is why I asked.

• 2 weeks later...

I've tried most of them. I haven't tried "Rebel IPA" which is why I asked.

Alright, I got a 6 pack. Mostly pine, pretty grassy, little grapefruit, not much malt to speak of. Like it a little more than all the other 6 pack shelf IPAs they have.

I really like Sam Adams Black Lager. Had a 6 the other day. They should focus more on dark beer, they're way better at it.

Also had Dominion Oak Barrel Stout and Flying Dog Gonzo Imperial Porter. Very different strengths to these stouts, both superb.

Edited by d0ublestr0ker0ll

Tried a four-pack of these over the course of this week:

Pub Dog's Fubark Imperial Stout (Westminster, MD)

http://www.beeradvocate.com/beer/profile/23058/107724/

I liked it a little better than the reviews on the site, but I agree that it's not amazing.  Solid, and I would drink it again.  I'd probably give it 4 out of 5 or so.

I enjoyed the low carbonation level and the velvety feel.  Nice warming sensation for me without an aggressive alcohol taste.  I agree with the reviews that it's a little heavy-handed on the anise flavor.

Edited by dfitzo53

For all of  you CORONA lovers out there, guess what will be out on DRAFT very soon!!??  CORONA LIGHT!!

Corona has never been on draft in the states until now, look for it soon in bars. I am not sure if the other coronas will be out in kegs or not at this time.

Edited by DButz65

Got Flying Dog's variety 12 pack. Good refresher on their basic stuff.

I totally underrated their Pearl Necklace Oyster Stout. Best beer in the pack. Amazingly roasty, some chocolate and caramel, nice touch of oyster. Love it, getting a 6 pack this weekend.

Raging ****, Atlantic Lager and Snake Dog IPA are the other beers. I underrated the Snake Dog too. It's pretty darn delicious.

Got Flying Dog's variety 12 pack. Good refresher on their basic stuff.

I totally underrated their Pearl Necklace Oyster Stout. Best beer in the pack. Amazingly roasty, some chocolate and caramel, nice touch of oyster. Love it, getting a 6 pack this weekend.

Raging ****, Atlantic Lager and Snake Dog IPA are the other beers. I underrated the Snake Dog too. It's pretty darn delicious.

Agreed - that stout and the snake dog are solid.  For any that haven't been - going on the brewery tour at Flying Dog is worth the trip at least once.  Fun to see their set-up and they usually have some cask beers that aren't in stores - but are at the brewery to try.

So, I helped my neighbor shovel out his area during the big snow.  Just 'cause they are good people, and we help each other out w/ stuff all the time.  He surprised me by dropping off a sixer-of Blue Moon yesterday!.  Beer - always a great gift!

Has anyone ever had mead?

As someone who is gluten free, it seems like the best beer alternative - especially to most gluten free sorghum based beers. Just wondering if it's hoppy enough..or if its more honey tasting. 

I love mead. Unfortunately most mass produced mead is not great. Some of the best I have had is homebrewed mead.

But I will say so far the best meadery I have tried is B. Nektar out of MI. You are starting to see some of their stuff in Virginia.

They have some smaller bottles that are really good, though not traditional. For example, they have one that is a mead that is made with black peppers and mango. They have on that is made with cherries, hops, etc. My favorite I have had of theirs I found in MI, was a classic style mead made with vanilla and cinnamon. It was out of this world. So if you see B. Nektar, try anything they make.

As someone who is gluten free, it seems like the best beer alternative - especially to most gluten free sorghum based beers. Just wondering if it's hoppy enough..or if its more honey tasting. 

I've tried a few on the NY wine trail, none to my tastes so far

Wow. I like to go world class a few times a year. Wish I could have an endless supply of Trappist Rochefort 10.

I would like an endless supply as well. :-D

Im super excited about the Westleven 12.

Here is some of the stuff I have in my beer fridge right now that I have accumulated:

Just posted a picture of a B. Nektar mead below. Its an example of some of what they make which isnt classic but still very good. Its mead that was made with Raspberries, Cloves, and orange rind.

post-156219-0-91571800-1393877012_thumb.

post-156219-0-86639800-1393877019_thumb.

post-156219-0-16379600-1393877026_thumb.

Edited by MisterPinstripe

I was just reading up on B Nektar...glad to see someone who has tried it and liked it.

My problem is, I don't live in Virginia anymore..and oddly enough, I'm having a hard time locating any bottle (of mead) to try...and it looks like B Nektar is only on the mid west and east coast though (according to their website).

Bah.

My quest continues. 

edit..actually, I stand corrected. I can get it nearby according to another page on their website. Now to plan a trip :)

Edited by The Evil Genius