Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Beer Thread

RedskinsFanInTX

We may not be on the same page as the Cherry Chocolate Bock was probably my least favorite of their seasonal box! :lol: The cherry flavor was a little overpowering and sweet for me.

Fezziwig isn't my favorite winter warmer/spiced beer by a long shot, and I'd rather go with something stronger, but if someone brings a box to Turkey day on Thursday, I'm snagging that one first!

Eh, I actually had the regular Chocolate Bock from that variety pack a few years ago. Sam Adams has had more beers than I can shake a stick at. I like them, but it's tedious to keep up with their flavors of the week. That regular Chocolate Bock was great. Best of the pack by far.

Back to Sam Adams Boston Lager/Ale, those beers go well with Turkey, as do most dark lagers and amber ales. Good if you don't want to overwhelm the flavor of the dinner. Marzens and Pumpkin Ales go perfectly with the typical flavors you eat that day as well. I'm brainstorming on what to get.

Got a 6 of New Belgium Rampant Imperial IPA last night. Love earthy Imperial IPAs, this one compounds the less-bitter approach with an especially strong caramel malt. Kinda reminds me of the Southern Tier Un*earthly, not as absolutely scrumtious though. Still, amazing bang for the buck here. New Belgium makes very good hoppy beers, their malt and yeast driven beers don't match up, IMO.

We may not be on the same page as the Cherry Chocolate Bock was probably my least favorite of their seasonal box!  :lol:  The cherry flavor was a little overpowering and sweet for me. 

Fezziwig isn't my favorite winter warmer/spiced beer by a long shot, and I'd rather go with something stronger, but if someone brings a box to Turkey day on Thursday, I'm snagging that one first! 

I thought the Cherry Chocolate Bock was pretty good actually. Not a big fan of chocolate beers, but this one wasn't too bad. The only one I still haven't had yet in the variet back is the Juniper. Hope it's good.

FYI.  www.liquorama.net is doing a Black Friday through Cyber Monday special.  $10 flat rate shipping on all orders.  Not a huge beer selection but a good opportunity to try some new beers you might not get in your area.

Edit:  Even better, just got an email from www.holidaywinecellar.com  They are once again doing a free shipping promo on Cyber Monday.  Free shipping on everything.  No minimum.  Huge selection.  Good opportunity to get beers from Knee Deep or Russian River.

Edited by Southtown

Currently drinking a Duclaw Sweet Baby Jesus chocolate peanut butter porter. This had so much potential but is incredibly disappointing. It's a bit watery and bitter, not traits that should be present in a porter. The peanut butter taste is a little off too. I couldn't describe it, but several people on beeradvocate described it as chemical-y and fake. Can't say I disagree.

Damn, DuClaw is local too. I sense that people like Heavy Seas, Flying Dog and Port City more on the whole. Speaking of which........

I got a 6 of my most beloved beer, Flying Dog Double dog.

"Beloved", as in, I get this beer the most of any crafty. Brings the nostalgia, fell in love with this stuff early in my craft brew life. Tasty as heck, just a beast of a brew. For the drinker with a strong palate, you love hops. All of the characteristics. Citrus, pine, grass, earth. Strong caramel, strong body. Gets the job done quickly at 11.5% abv.

I have a bottle right around 4 years old. Old lable and everything. Could be the night it opens.

Currently drinking a Duclaw Sweet Baby Jesus chocolate peanut butter porter. This had so much potential but is incredibly disappointing. It's a bit watery and bitter, not traits that should be present in a porter. The peanut butter taste is a little off too. I couldn't describe it, but several people on beeradvocate described it as chemical-y and fake. Can't say I disagree.

I had one of these on tap locally a couple months ago.  (I think I posted about it.)

I couldn't agree more about the disappointment.  I didn't find so much of a chemical taste, or bitterness.  My problem was that it was overly sweet.  It didn't taste like beer, just peanut butter (and a little chocolate).  It was basically like getting some kind of shake from Dairy Queen, except not frozen.

Definitely had high hopes when I tried it a couple months ago. Was definitely disappointed. I dunno what it was, but it didn't taste like beer.

Picture of the beers/tap handles I took care of the other day at one of my offices, pretty nice lineup they have at this bar, they rotate different ones in and out all the time

969435_10152076464093307_143132743_n.jpg

Magic Hat Circus Boy

Peak Organic

Magic Hat #9

21st Amendment Back in Black

Dogfish Head 60min

Long Trail Ale

Lagunitas Pale Ale

Not pictured, Rogue Dead Guy Ale, Guinness

Edited by DButz65

If you are ever out in San Diego try Karl Strauss's peanut butter cup porter.  To me they managed to make a porter with just the right amount of peanut butter cup flavor yet it still tastes like you are drinking a beer.

I had it on tap at the Karl Strauss brewery at the Universal City Walk outside of Universal Studios in Hollywood, but you can probably find it in San Diego at Karl Strauss as well.

If they happen to have it on hand.

Yeah...it ain't that good.    Don't let the Sweet Baby Jesus deter you from DuClaw.  They have some really solid beers.   If you like hops, try the Hellrazer or the Serum.    If you like imperial stouts, you will absolutely love the Retribution.    It's a seasonal offering, and it's wonderful.

Like I said on here a few days ago, Dominion makes an amazing Espresso Stout, an amazing DIPA, an amazing Oak Barrel Stout and an amazing Pale Ale (Hop Mountain). That brewery is very underrated.

havent had the DIPA yet, but ive seen it. i do love the oak barrel stout- maybe my favorite stout. and i like the hop mountain. 

picked up some flying dog "the truth" imperial IPA yesterday. at 8.7% its strong, and the alcohol is noticeable, almost taking over the beer. theres something about flying dogs IPA's- i find them to be kind of 'thin'. not alot behind the initial hop kick. bitter, without the satisfying body to back it up. 

not my favorite, but not bad. 

havent had the DIPA yet, but ive seen it. i do love the oak barrel stout- maybe my favorite stout. and i like the hop mountain.

picked up some flying dog "the truth" imperial IPA yesterday. at 8.7% its strong, and the alcohol is noticeable, almost taking over the beer. theres something about flying dogs IPA's- i find them to be kind of 'thin'. not alot behind the initial hop kick. bitter, without the satisfying body to back it up.

not my favorite, but not bad

You don't think there's anything behind the hop kick of the Raging B*tch or Double Dog? The only other IPA I can think of is the Snake Dog. I agree that the Snake Dog isn't that good. The other two have great backbones of yeast in the Raging B*tch and caramel in the Double Dog. Edited by d0ublestr0ker0ll

You don't think there's anything behind the hop kick of the Raging B*tch or Double Dog? The only other IPA I can think of is the Snake Dog. I agree that the Snake Dog isn't that good. The other two have great backbones of yeast in the Raging B*tch and caramel in the Double Dog.

havent had the double dog yet. 

the raging **** ive tried twice. i'm convinced that there is a fault in my taste buds that makes it taste like (not kidding here) those plastic band aids. now, its entirely possible that i somehow managed to get two bad batches of it, because i always used to have a few classic pale ales stuck back in the fridge, and i got an oxidized sixer of that once. 

so it could be i got a bad batch, or it could be the same stuff that causes me to have a bit of a gag reflex when i drink a wheat beer. i know- its weird. i like all kinds of different beers, but when it comes to wheat beers, i gag. i dont get it. 

i've had the snake dog. it was just ok for me. 

havent had the double dog yet. 

the raging **** ive tried twice. i'm convinced that there is a fault in my taste buds that makes it taste like (not kidding here) those plastic band aids. now, its entirely possible that i somehow managed to get two bad batches of it, because i always used to have a few classic pale ales stuck back in the fridge, and i got an oxidized sixer of that once. 

so it could be i got a bad batch, or it could be the same stuff that causes me to have a bit of a gag reflex when i drink a wheat beer. i know- its weird. i like all kinds of different beers, but when it comes to wheat beers, i gag. i dont get it. 

i've had the snake dog. it was just ok for me. 

Maybe you should stop licking plastic band-aids. ;)