Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Beer Thread

RedskinsFanInTX

So I had the Necromangocon last night.

It was...interesting.

necromangocon_sm.jpg

Having not had mead and/or honeywine before..I wasn't sure what to expect. I honestly think it might take me awhile to figure out if I like it. Is that weird?

No, not really. Its definitely a different style of drink. Keep in mind the one you had is... Not normal. I wouldnt make a decision on mead completely until you have been able to have a classic example of a mead, which a mango and black pepper one is not.

B.Nektar also has one called Evil Genius which I feel you should try. :D

Its a hopped mead, very light, perfect for the summer, but again not an example of a classic full bodied mead. Though it is one I enjoy.

If you see something by Redstone Meadery out of Colorado try them out, they will be a decent example of a more classic mead. While not as good as B. Nektars traditional meads, they are the only other decent commercial meadery I have had.

Total Wine & More has Redstone..I'll have to check it out sometime. 

Thanks!

edit..they have 4 of them..any you recommend?

http://www.totalwine.com/eng/search/redstone

I would advise you get the Redstone Meadery Honey Wine which would be their classic orange blossom honey mead. That should at least give you an idea of if you will like mead, as that should be a good example of the style.

• 2 weeks later...

Bumping beer thread from third page, tisk tisk.

I've had a few new ones lately.

Dogfish Head 61: Currently having this. It's the 60 Minute IPA with grape must. This is great for a spring day cookout. Will pair great with chicken and pork.

Shock Top Applecrisp Honey Wheat: Tastes a lot like sour apple Jolly Ranchers/Blow Pops. I'm a sucker for blatantly simple flavors. Shock Top is a lot like Leinenkugels.

Shock Top Honey Bourbon Wheat (I think that's what it's called): Not bad, might get again next winter. Honey and bourbon stand out nicely. It's like Jack Daniels Honey Light.

Killians Irish Red & Smithwicks Irish Ale: Had these on St. Patty's day and Killians Irish Red wins. Smithwicks was truly boring. Killians is cheap as heck, and a solid Irish Red. Underrated.

I've had a few new ones lately.

Dogfish Head 61: Currently having this. It's the 60 Minute IPA with grape must. This is great for a spring day cookout. Will pair great with chicken and pork.

Saw that in the store the last time I was there, and I'll have to give it a try the next time I buy some.

Killians Irish Red & Smithwicks Irish Ale: Had these on St. Patty's day and Killians Irish Red wins. Smithwicks was truly boring. Killians is cheap as heck, and a solid Irish Red. Underrated.

Best St. Patricks Day beer this year for me:

Great_Lakes_Conways_Irish_Ale.jpg

I'm hoping they promote it to a year-rounder instead of just a seasonal.

I actually had the Smithwicks Irish Pale Ale yesterday (pint can from a variety pack) and it was good imo, nothing to brag about, but solid.  I was a firm advocate for Killian's Irish Red for years, then about two years ago, I bought a six pack and it tasted different, not as good as it normally did, but not bad at all by any means.

The Coors/Miller vendor I spoke with the next time I was shopping told me that they changed the recipe and feedback was that it wasn't as tasty as the one they had used.  However, they were supposed to be tweeking it more towards the original Irish recipe that George Killian used himself.  

http://www.bizjournals.com/milwaukee/news/2012/02/17/millercoors-makes-changes-to-killians.html

I haven't bought any in a long time.  Maybe they went back to the original recipe?  

I do have a question, what happened to St. Pauli Girl Special Dark?  It was one of my favorite beers and one day it just got removed from the shelves at my local groc. store.  I noticed that it was removed from just about every grocery store around me.  The only style I can find is the regular St. Pauli Girl Lager and the Non-Alcoholic version (who wants that piss water?).

It's still listed on their website and it was never a seasonal beer, I used to buy it year round for years.  If anyone that lives in or near the Charlotte area reads this thread can confirm sightings/stores that carry it, let me know.  I haven't pushed for it at the local grocery store because, having previously worked in the grocery business for 12 years, they have to go by store sets and each vendor is allotted x amount of space and pretty much told what variety they will carry.  

I'd like to find it again.  I also wish Heineken Special Dark would make a comeback, love my dark German beers/lagers.

Heineken Dark is still around. I only see it at a couple stores though. I shamelessly love chugging that stuff.

The Killians is like $7.50 for a six pack. A steal.

I had the Brooklyn Lager last night. Drank it out of the bottle, but saved two of 'em to pour in to glasses and go full beer snobbery mode on. I enjoyed the four I had, for sure. Seemed amber...nutty, little caramel and biscuit. Hefty body for a lager. Good stuff.

they still sell it here....not that it helps

Yeah, I looked on one beer finder website and the closest store was something crazy like 450-500 miles away from my zipcode.  It's good, but not 450 miles good lol.  There is one specialty beer store called Mike's Discount Beverages, I'm sure I could get it there, or he would order it for me, but its a good 45 min drive into hell traffic.  I'm lazy, so was hoping to find it nearby.  

Guess I'm gonna have to get off my ass and look/try harder.

With my job, I get to drink beer all day, well not totally true, I get to TASTE beer all day :P

Along with corona light, corona extra is out on draft now, its slowly coming into the market, in nova anyway.

But of course you have to go to Mexican restaurants to find it on draft

Edited by DButz65

Roughly how much does it cost?

(Yeah I know, if you have to ask...)

Well, when they released it for that short time in the US they were selling 6 packs that came with 2 glasses for 85. So they probably averaged around 12-14 a bottle or so. Since its so hard to get it would probably run anywhere from 20 to 30 now, but I still would not hesitate to pay it if you can find it, thats how good it was.

Lucky for me, I have a good buddy that enjoys beer as much as me, and he came across the bottle and he was super generous and we cracked it open together. So I didnt have to pay a dime for it. Lets just hope that the monastery has to do some more repairs soon so they release it in the US again to pay for it. :-D

Im going to pay him back by opening the Harviestoun Ola Dubh 30 year with him, thats the closest I can get. :-D

Listen up Sam Adams fans. They've knocked one out of the park. Their "Cold Snap" spring seasonal is delicious. Why pay about 2x as much for the DFH Midas Touch, when you can get this beer that mimics it very well. Corriander and beer get along SO well.

You'd think a spring beer would be slammable, but this is a pretty classy feel. Milky body is very filling, as well.

• Like 1

I just had Dogish Head's World Wide Stout at a local burger joint. Holy Bejesus.  It is 18% abv which I think technically makes it a barley wine, but who's paying attention right?   It had the bold flavor of a nice dark stout with bourbon tones from brewing in the empty bourbon barrels.  So good.

http://www.beeradvocate.com/beer/profile/64/2392/

Edited by NoCalMike
  • Like 1

Love me the WWS, have you had their 120 Minute IPA? It's one of my favorite beers. It goes beyond the flavor of an IPA, tastes sort of like bourbon.

I've been drinking four beers every Sunday ritualistically. I buy them in six packs thru the week, drink some, share some, but am always sure to save one of each for Sunday. Here are some examples:

image-8.jpg

image-9.jpg

image-10.jpg

I just had Dogish Head's World Wide Stout at a local burger joint. Holy Bejesus.  It is 18% abv which I think technically makes it a barley wine, but who's paying attention right?   It had the bold flavor of a nice dark stout with bourbon tones from brewing in the empty bourbon barrels.  So good.

http://www.beeradvocate.com/beer/profile/64/2392/

Yeah I had that on tap at the Dogfish Head Alehouse and it was awesome.

Barley wines can be as low as 8 ABV and still be a barley wine. Its more the sweet ale aspect with the balance of the hops that makes it a barley wine. Though typically most barley wines are above 10.

I was mostly impressed that even at that high ABV the World Wide Stout didnt have an overwhelming alcohol taste to it. Was very nicely balanced.

Listen up Sam Adams fans. They've knocked one out of the park. Their "Cold Snap" spring seasonal is delicious. Why pay about 2x as much for the DFH Midas Touch, when you can get this beer that mimics it very well. Corriander and beer get along SO well.

You'd think a spring beer would be slammable, but this is a pretty classy feel. Milky body is very filling, as well.

Cold Snap is amazing. The downside is that they're starting to phase it out in some bars and liquor stores in favor of Summer Ale. So if you see a few 12-packs of it around, but it now before it's gone.