Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Beer Thread

RedskinsFanInTX

Waited 'til some warm weather to try the new Flying Dog The Truth Imperial IPA. Double Dog is one of my favorite strong ales, so I have very high hopes for The Truth. Will report back.

Bottle of Shiner Cheer will kick off the evening, because if I have the Imperial IPA beforehand, I probably won't be able to notice any flavor in the Cheer.

Edited by d0ublestr0ker0ll

Personally, I love really rich, dark beers for the holidays rather than seasonal spice type stuff.

I'd go with something like Southern Tier Choklat, Spaten Optimator, Aventinus or McEwan's Scotch Ale.

If that doesn't suit your taste, feel free to disregard.

• Like 1

Cinnamon spices in beer? Sam Adams Old Fezziwig is a dark malt beer with cinnamon spices. Meaning you'll taste dark chocolate and a roasty, char flavor with the cinnamon (and other spices.

Blue Moon Caramel Apple Spiced Ale has cinnamon in it, but I've never had it. Shiner Cheer seemed like it had cinnamon, I was pleasantly surprised by that beer. Shiner has disappointed me all the way up 'til I had that beer last week.

Sam Adams Winter Lager is probably the easiest to find, and it's a must-have every winter for me.

Personally, I love really rich, dark beers for the holidays rather than seasonal spice type stuff.

I'd go with something like Southern Tier Choklat, Spaten Optimator, Aventinus or McEwan's Scotch Ale.

If that doesn't suit your taste, feel free to disregard.

Agreed, this is Imperial Stout season for me. Other types of Stouts and Porters work well, too. Dark brewskies in general. Doublebocks, Altbiers, Winter Warmers, Belgian Dark Strong Ales. Even a black & tan works for me.

Tonight is a big night at my parents' house. My brother is in town and we're having a poker game with 8 players involved. More friends, who don't play poker, should be mingling as well. It's a bring your own alcohol - and share some kind of deal.

Got 12 Yuenglings, a 6 pack of Dominion Morning Glory Espresso Stout, and a bottle of Jim Beam Honey Flavored Whiskey. The fellas always bring Captain Morgan, Jack Daniels, various vodkas, Heineken, Sam Adams, wine...we have a fun crew :).

just got back from lancaster, PA (aka, alcoholic HELL). what the hell is up with that state? went out around 5:30 sunday night to find a six pack of something good. drove around for an hour after encountering spirit store after spirit store closed. and its not like there were a ton of them.

went out the next day and found one that looked like an abandoned shack. no heat. the place was freezing. nothing taken out of cases, including things like gum and tobacco products at the register. it was like another planet. what a dump. oh, and forget 6 packs. singles?! HA! no sir- we only sell by the case here. 

****ers.

wanted some wine for new years, since they dont sell wine at beer distribution centers in PA (duh, of course!). found a couple that were open, only to find lines in both that were at least 25 people long (no kidding).

what a mess of a state. 

mental note- next time i go to PA, bring my own. 

Edited by grego

Went to the store thinking Sam Adams Winter Lager, came out of the store with Brooklyn Brown Ale. Roasty flavor with a mild hop background that gives the beer a nice sweetness. Bitter from so much roasted malt, might think it's a stout in a blind taste test. Good for winter, enjoying.

I'm telling you man, isn't Brooklyn's Brown Ale really good!

For some holiday get togethers, we also had Sam's Winter Lager - a good, general crowd pleaser.  And Sam's White Christmas.  I never had that before - the bro-in-law bought it on a whim.  Pretty good - a lighter, crisper version of the winter brews.

I moved to San Diego a month ago and I can't even begin to tell you guys how many kick ass little breweries are around here. So many different ones to try out that I can't even post them all. Its craft brew and IPA mecca out here. I went to Stone in Escondido on Xmas eve and it was the most impressive brewery I've ever been to.

Didn't someone else who posted in this thread regularly live out here? Sebowski maybe? I'd love to meet up with them if possible.

I moved to San Diego a month ago and I can't even begin to tell you guys how many kick ass little breweries are around here. So many different ones to try out that I can't even post them all. Its craft brew and IPA mecca out here. I went to Stone in Escondido on Xmas eve and it was the most impressive brewery I've ever been to.

Didn't someone else who posted in this thread regularly live out here? Sebowski maybe? I'd love to meet up with them if possible.

Sebowski, yes. I haven't seen him on ES for a while. Used to post here and especially in the MMA thread...he was the west coast version of me on here :ols:.

He said the same thing as you about the amount of amazing breweries over there. That it's the IPA paradise, too. Sebowski did say that one brewery stood above the rest when it came to IPAs, and that was Alpine Brewing Co.

• Like 1

Sam Adams winter variety 12'er. Wow...

Let's start with one of the worst beers I've ever had in my life. The Juniper IPA is exactly the beer Westbrook36 was speaking of when he made the "IPAs are for hipsters" thread. I was close to pouring it out. I don't pour anything out, but this time, I almost did. A disguisting bitterness that's super strong, absolutely no malt. Salty, chalky, paper flavored. I remember gettin that stuff in my mouth in preschool after drinking the Juniper IPA.

Fezziwig is in here, decent beer, but overrated. The Cream Stout trounces it for winter time. Trounces it. Cherry Chocolate Bock is more interesting than Fezziwig as well. Cherries can make beers medicinal flavored, but this one has a load of dark fruit in it that is really tasty. Chocolate is the subtle background, the fruits are dominant in the Cherry Choco, it's the best beer in the pack. Not as good as the regular Chocolate Bock.

The Christmas Ale in here is lame. Spices are okay, slightly Christmasy, but simply a weak flavor. Alot of emptiness, the carbonation is what stood out most, and it wasn't even that strong.

Winter Lager and Boston Lager were the other two beers.

1) Cherry Chocolate Bock

2) Winter Lager

3) Boston Lager

4) Old Fezziwig

5) Christmas ****

6) Juniper Salt Water

Edited by d0ublestr0ker0ll

I'm drinking a Black & Tan made with Flying Dog Kujo poured over a Yard's IPA draft.

It sounds like an over the top Black & Tan, but it works.

Given that the ABV for the Kujo is  8.9%, and the Yard's is 7.0%, I won't be drinking a lot of them.....

Edited by Skinsfan1311