Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Beer Thread

RedskinsFanInTX

I thought the Black Cannon was 50% Loose Cannon, 50% dark malts. So if you poured a glass half full of Loose Cannon, then half with Black Cannon, that would be 75% Loose Cannon in your concoction. Sorry if I'm not following, but I will try this combination soon.

Thanks, you're so lucky to have access to Three Floyd's beers.

Tonight I'm having a beer tasting around the fire pit. Here's the stash, people are BYOB'ing as well. They know to bring the crafties, too.

image-12.jpg

Not trying to speak for Rick or Chris, but I think the idea was take a glass that's mostly Black Cannon and add just a little Loose Cannon to it.  So 3/4 of the glass is Black Cannon and 1/4 is Loose Cannon.

And yeah, Double Cannon or Double Barrel or Broadside or something like that would be a cool name for it if they ever do it.

I think the upper midwest is underrated for beers.  You hear a lot about the West Coast and the East Coast, but there was some pretty good stuff available back when I was at Purdue.  Three Floyds, Goose Island, Upland, lots of different places.  And I seem to remember a lot more varieties of Leinie's available out there than here.  I hear some people knock Leinenkugel's, but they're inexpensive and very drinkable if you ask me.

Why do people degrade themselves and drink Miller and Bud? I don't understand how someone could have that little self respect. Keep your head up people things will get better!

I just buy Milwaukees Best or Natural when it comes to the basic American Lagers. The difference in taste between those and regular Bud or MGD aren't worth a few extra dollars. In fact, I literally enjoy Beast and Natural more than MGD and Miller High Life. If I'm going light beer for some reason, you're damn skippy I'll be getting Beast Light. The prices of Miller Lite and Bud Lite make me want to tell people not to buy them when they're walking out of the store with a pack. Commercials are a powerful drug.

Edited by d0ublestr0ker0ll

You gotta give me something here so I know what to look for

DC area? 

like a month or year in the future?

Northern Virginia, Ill definitely post specifics once I can. My father-in-law grew up with the owner that handles the beer side of things and is on the board so he will tell me.

They are working on stuff now so depending on how stuff goes it may be within the year.

Edited by MisterPinstripe

Why do people degrade themselves and drink Miller and Bud? I don't understand how someone could have that little self respect. Keep your head up people things will get better!

I'll drink Bud Light if I'm out at a party or something or even a bar if they don't have anything good on tap. But if I'm sitting at home and drinking beer while watching TV/game/grilling/etc. then give me a Sam's, Flying Dog, Dogfish Head, Heavy Seas, whatever. I definitely prefer craft beer, but I don't mind a Bud Light every now and then.

Spring Beers Ranked according to Deadspin

3. Jack's Abby Sunny Ridge (Framingham, MA; 5.1 percent ABV)

This lovely number is one of the better-looking beers in its class, with a simultaneously bright and hazy golden body and a fluffy white head. It smells like bready malt and grassy pepper. The taste is clean and assertive, with the big barley character augmented by strong, dry hops on the finish.

2. Deschutes Pine Mountain Pilsner (Bend, OR; 5.2 percent ABV)

This one shows a spicy lemongrass nose, a bold hop bite all the way through, and a longer, crisper finish than most. Deschutes Pine Mountain Pilsner is fantastic.

1. North Coast Scrimshaw Pilsner (Fort Bragg, CA; 4.4 percent ABV)

Scrimshaw has a deep orange-tinted honey color, aggressive carbonation, and more body than its peers. It displays excellent balance, with a floral-citrus opening tilting slightly malty through the middle before the dry, tingly finish. This is remarkably well-rounded for a 4.4-percent-ABV pilsner, and I can't recommend it highly enough.

Edited by MattFancy

Houston has great restaurants and craft beers. I'd recommend most of Karbachs beers if you can get youre hands on em.

Yesterday I went to the anniversary of a highly rated German restaurant in the Houston area. Beers were on tap and on point and the menu was half off.

Started off with a krombaucher dark pilsner. Easy drinking but delicious. Next up was a go to of mine, the spaten optimator. The draft version kills the bottle version imo. Finished with a dunkel of some sort which was pretty good as well.

currently sipping on a lone pint jabberwocky double IPA. It's very good and surprisingly fruity but about as bitter as I can stand for ipa's.

Edited by sportjunkie07

I thought the Black Cannon was 50% Loose Cannon, 50% dark malts. So if you poured a glass half full of Loose Cannon, then half with Black Cannon, that would be 75% Loose Cannon in your concoction. Sorry if I'm not following, but I will try this combination soon.

LOL! I don't know what the Black Cannon recipe is...all I know is that they poured 3/4 a glass with Black Cannon, and topped it off with Loose Cannon...and it was really, really good.... :)

Not trying to speak for Rick or Chris, but I think the idea was take a glass that's mostly Black Cannon and add just a little Loose Cannon to it.  So 3/4 of the glass is Black Cannon and 1/4 is Loose Cannon.

And yeah, Double Cannon or Double Barrel or Broadside or something like that would be a cool name for it ifthey ever do it.

You, Sir, are correct!

They actually have a seasonal "Belgian" style IPA, called Dubbel Cannon. I don't care for it, but I'm not a fan of Belgian style beer.

At the brewery, they simply call Black & Loose Cannon mix, "The Chris"

Houston has great restaurants and craft beers. I'd recommend most of Karbachs beers if you can get youre hands on em.

Yesterday I went to the anniversary of a highly rated German restaurant in the Houston area. Beers were on tap and on point and the menu was half off.

Started off with a krombaucher dark pilsner. Easy drinking but delicious. Next up was a go to of mine, the spaten optimator. The draft version kills the bottle version imo. Finished with a dunkel of some sort which was pretty good as well.

currently sipping on a lone pint jabberwocky double IPA. It's very good and surprisingly fruity but about as bitter as I can stand for i

Can you get Jester King where you are? They do some interesting stuff.

I love Old Bay and I love beer. Just not sure how they'll work together. But from Flying Dog, I do have decent hopes.

I hear you, and I'm with you on digging Old Bay.  I just don't have the same hopes. :D  I love jalapenos and tacos too, but I wouldn't try to make beer flavors out of them.  :lol:

• Like 1

I hear you, and I'm with you on digging Old Bay.  I just don't have the same hopes. :D  I love jalapenos and tacos too, but I wouldn't try to make beer flavors out of them.  :lol:

I'm definitely skeptical of how it will turn out. But considering most Flying Dog beers are pretty solid and their a local MD brewery, I think it has a chance to be good. I'm definitely going to give it a try.

currently sipping on a lone pint jabberwocky double IPA. It's very good and surprisingly fruity but about as bitter as I can stand for ipa's.

I go there mostly for the beer and being able to smoke (patio), nice selection of German beer, I prefer the Alpine Brauhaus for food.

luv the liter mugs, the das boot is too much of a good thing  :P

the beer wenches ain't bad either

king-s-biergarten-and.jpg

Edited by twa

Flying Dog posted this on Facebook today:

10246645_10152363640533970_4755206215619

"For 75 years, OLD BAY has been your staple seafood spice. Now, we've developed a beer that will quickly earn its spot right alongside that iconic blue, yellow, and red tin."

Can anyone suggest a top of the line wheat beer? Only ever see fat tires, shock tops and blue moons and I'm really done with those. Want to find something better. Can anyone help me out?

Wheat beers are plentiful. Look for Hefeweizens for the tastier German Wheat style. Usually says it on the labels. Paulaner Hefeweizen or Franziskaner Hefeweizen, for a couple of examples.

More common ones you didn't mention are the Harpoon UFO Hefeweizen, Flying Dog In Heat Wheat, Red Hook Hefeweizen and the Sam Adams Coastal Wheat. That's just off the top of my head.