Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Beer Thread

RedskinsFanInTX

Alright. Either tomorrow or Saturday I'm hunting for a case of Dead Rise. If I don't find it, I'm liable to buy the Flying Dog In Heat Wheat and mix Old Bay in it.

Had some Sam Adams Summer Ales, and Shock Top Lemon Shandys last night. Summer Ale is way more a Wheat beer, Lemon Shandy's lemonade flavor is even more pronounced when compared to another lemony beer. Damn near tastes like lemonade. For some reason I love this stuff, and could chug it all Summer.

I loved the shocktop lemon shandy too, but recently had Leinenkugels Summer Shandy... off the chain! Shock what?  :)

I'm going to the Beer, Bourbon & BBQ Fest tomorrow at the National Harbor. Excited to see what kind of beers they have.

http://www.beerandbourbon.com/national-harbor/drink-menu

• Like 1

I loved the shocktop lemon shandy too, but recently had Leinenkugels Summer Shandy... off the chain! Shock what? :)

Lol! Shock what? It's almost embarrassing that I enjoy beers from Shock Top and Lenie's. Is what it is though. That Lenie's Sunset Wheat is my stuff, man. Their Summer Shandy is def a good lemon chugger, but the Sunset Wheat is the bomb. Tastes exactly...EXACTLY...like Fruity Pebbles.

Lol! Shock what? It's almost embarrassing that I enjoy beers from Shock Top and Lenie's. Is what it is though. That Lenie's Sunset Wheat is my stuff, man. Their Summer Shandy is def a good lemon chugger, but the Sunset Wheat is the bomb. Tastes exactly...EXACTLY...like Fruity Pebbles.

Sunset Wheat is phenomenal! But agree with DButz, Summer Shandy is one of my favorite, if not my favorite, summer beers. Just something about sitting outside on a hot day drinking those screams summer to me.

Last night was:

Lagunitas - IPA Maximus

Lagunitas - Little Sumpin' Sumpin' Ale

love lagunitas- those two brews in particular. really awesome stuff. 

I loved the shocktop lemon shandy too, but recently had Leinenkugels Summer Shandy... off the chain! Shock what?  :)

good stuff. gonna be having me some of that on a pontoon boat on the bay around this time tomorrow :)

got a 12 pack of the sam adams 'deconstructed latitude 48 IPA' yesterday. so far, i've only had the zeus, but it was really good. i like their rebel IPA more than the latitude 48, but still looking forward to trying the rest. 

Latitude-48-Deconstructed.jpg

http://www.brewbound.com/news/samuel-adams-latitude-48-ipa-deconstructed-variety-pack-available-this-month

Edited by grego

Belby Beer and Wine has now told me three weeks in a row that the Dead Rise will "be in next week." I give up. Maybe I'll see it in August. Just gotta try to forget about it. The initial excitement has now worn off. I'll be happy with the Loose Cannon I just bought.

Also got Lenie's Summer Shandy. Will compare with the Shock Top and Sam Adams at the same time later today.

Yeah I've been using that.  It's unreliable, to say the least.  It lists Total Wines, but then you call and none of them have it.  Same with Whole Foods.  At least the ones near me.

Where are you located? If it's not too far of a drive, the Dulles/Sterling Wegmans had a bunch (two weeks ago). Not sure when they were restocked though. The Fairfax Wegmans is local to me, their guy said it would be another week or so before they got Dead Rise. 

Edited by skinsfan_1215

Where are you located? If it's not too far of a drive, the Dulles/Sterling Wegmans had a bunch (two weeks ago). Not sure when they were restocked though. The Fairfax Wegmans is local to me, their guy said it would be another week or so before they got Dead Rise. 

Thanks.  Fairfax Wegman's is within range.  I'll try them next week... 

I'm really surprised Total Wine doesn't have it.  They are like the Library of Congress for beers.  They seemed to have dropped the ball on this.

Flying Dog is our beer (premium) and most retailers are on a 2 week delivery schedule I believe. Which is why if someone runous out pretty

quickly... you have to wait until they get more in. This falls on whoever orders at every location... they simply dont order enough for the demand.

BTW Premium is based out of chantilly but you cant go by there and buy beer :)

Edited by DButz65
  • Like 1

I haven't even thought about getting the Easy IPA.  A light IPA?  Afraid I'd run right through it.  Let us know how those beers are.

Sure sure. I figured with company coming over, I'd stray away from the slobberknocker ABV beers. Though I love a FD Double Dog DPA!

Sure sure. I figured with company coming over, I'd stray away from the slobberknocker ABV beers. Though I love a FD Double Dog DPA!

You're right. When craft beer neophytes come over to my place, I stock up on the easier stuff. Yuengling, wheat beer, lagers...I'll gladly be the only Loose Cannon drinker.

10359137_10154210834420290_8952337059351

Had a few new beers this weekend.  I recommend all of them if you like these kinds of brews.  Admittedly, I'm not a beer snob by any means.  I love good beer, but I'm just as happy drinking Pabst on a hot day. :)

St. Peter's Cream Stout - Dark and delicious.  I personally don't like the bitter finish with some dark ales or stouts, but this didn't have that.

Horny Goat Chocolate Peanut Butter Stout - Tastes like it sounds.  The saltiness of the peanut butter was there, but it wasn't as sweet as I thought.  Brilliant.  I had three pints and could've taken a couple more.

Wexford's Cream Ale - I'd had this beer before, but wanted to list it here because it's a hard find.  The beer & wine bar I was at had it in stock, so I drank a few.  Light, creamy, refreshing.  Some of the cream ales have a bit of a sour taste, but not this one.  One of my faves.

Aloha Coconut Brown Ale - I'm not a huge "flavored" beer guy, and I'm not even a big coconut fan.  But there's something about the coconut flavor that brings out the awesome side of this dark beer.  You know a beer has made an impression when you're still thinking about it a few days later.  

And I'd like to add, if any of you get a chance to buy some Snyder's Pretzel Pieces "Salted Caramel" flavor, do it.  If you eat those with a Guinness or any dark beer of your liking, you'll literally laugh at how smart you suddenly feel. :)

Cool recap, Double.  I've had Leine's Shandy and Sam's Summer ale at cookouts recently.  Both hit the spot for me outside in the heat.  I'll have to try the other two.

This is a Belgian wit style, but I like Port City's Optimal Wit for a refreshing brew on a hot summer day....

Haha, this thread really does attract like-minds.  When I have non-craft types over, I usually stock up on Yuengling and similar too!

• Like 1

The Beer, Bourbon and BBQ Fest at National Harbor was a great time. 2 beers I had that I really liked were Buffalo Bills Brewery Orange Blossom and Shock Top Pretzel Wheat. The Orange Blossom was really refreshing and would make a great summer beer. Nice subtle taste of orange. The Pretzel Wheat was really good. Tasted just like a pretzel. Asked if they sold any and apparently it's just a festival beer. I'd recommend giving it a try if you ever come across it.

I tried the Shock Top Honey Crisp Wheat beer over the weekend and was pleasantly surprised. It's basically a mix of hard cider and wheat beer. I couldn't drink more than a couple but on a hot day they're pretty refreshing.

• Like 1

I need to try that Port City Optimal Wit.  Have passed on it for years now.

The Honey Crisp Apple Wheat from Shock Top is awesome if you like sour apple candy.  Tastes just like it.

I had the Shock Top Raspberry Wheat today.  Definitely the worst of their 3 fruit beers.  Also had the Leinenkugel's Berry Weiss.  Holy ****, worst beer I've had in a while.  Why did I even buy these?  I was thinking about comparing them, but they're both bad.  Actually, the Shock Top is WAY better than the Leinenkugel's.  Still not very good.