Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Beer Thread

RedskinsFanInTX

Dammit, the shipment of Dead Rise got delayed a week. I counted my chickens before they hatched, and bought some crab meet before I went to get beer. So instead of a case of Dead Rise, I got Flying Dog Irish Red, Dogfish Head Piercing Pils, and a bomber of Stone's Old Guardian Barelywine.

Stupid question.......what the heck is "old bay"? lol

At first I was like WOW!  Haven't heard of Old Bay?  It was kind of a staple in my house growing up.  It is great on crabs.  I grew up in D.C., and Florida so it was always available.  My buddy throws it on ribs, which I don't recommend.  It is o.k, but there are way better seasonings for ribs.

Got to try the Dead Rise.

d0ublestr0ker0ll, is that a Border Collie Mix?  I have a Border Collie, mostly white, and an Australian Sheppard, boy do I love those dogs!  They are my kids.

I kind of dive from beer to beer, always loving something different and always moving to the next thing.  I don't consider myself any kind of expert though. 

Lately I have been enjoying Oskar Blues Old Chub.  I am not great at identifying beers taste, but to me it has that whiskey taste that some beers are going for today, but it is not that strong of a taste.  It's not like you drink it and say, well I might as well have bought some whiskey.  That is what I always say to myself while drinking those.  Anyways935343_10151586723662752_1679678003_n-72..... 

Flying Dog Lucky SOB Irish Red - Not very good. Brewed with four leaf clovers? I see what you did there. Almost a task drinking this stuff, TBH.

Dogfish Head Piercing Pils - Thank goodness I got this. Fantastic. Pilsener brewed with pears. Amazingly refreshing dammit. Too bad it's quite expensive. Would be an absolutely amazing session beer.

Pure Border Collie. I have an Australian Cattle Dog and two Chihuahuas to boot. Dogs are one of my passions, my career is based on taking care of them.

My buddy has a blue heeler and he doesn't pay any attention to it. The dog is nuts and uncontrollable because it needs to have something to do. He thinks the dog is a jerk, but it is him. I keep telling him this, we have had many arguments over the dog because it kills me to see such a smart energetic dog not being worked and loved on a daily basis. I am going to try to talk him into giving the dog to me, but I don't think he will give him up.

Edited by Fan since a Fetus

Such a common mistake. People get working breeds, and don't put them to work. My ex-girlfriend's father had a border collie that he paid no mind. She was 4 years old and didn't understand the concept of playing. I taught her how to have fun. She was so uncoordinated, opposite of the 3 border collies I've had through my life.

Then all of a sudden he gives her up. At least she went to a place with a big yard. By the time she left, I taught her how to run full speed. So mission accomplished I guess.

Maybe any time you go over to his place, you can treat it as a quasi-training session for his dog. Even a few minutes of interaction would help a lot.

Edited by d0ublestr0ker0ll

Premium distributors has picked up a couple of breweries over the past month or so (btw we have like 70% of the beer market in all of va)... DC Brau and Allagash. So they should have more of a presence in the market place by now. Old Busted Head is getting out there more as well. One of our products I love is Foothills brewery, not many people have heard of or tried them, but they make some good stuff. The Torch Pilsner is pretty damn good!

Evening Star in Del Ray always has it on tap.

Edited by DButz65

A little OT but how is old bay on steak? Or is it just a chicken thing?

Originally it's a seafood thing.

I love it on crabs, but other than that it's not my thing, frankly.  I certainly wouldn't put it on steak.

I'm interested in trying Dead Rise for the heck of it, but my guess is it'll be a one-time deal.

Originally it's a seafood thing.

I love it on crabs, but other than that it's not my thing, frankly.  I certainly wouldn't put it on steak.

I'm interested in trying Dead Rise for the heck of it, but my guess is it'll be a one-time deal.

It's good mixed into the flour coating for fried chicken.  Never tried it on steak. 

Tried to get some Dead Rise at Whole Foods just now... no luck.  Old Bay in beer doesn't sound good off-hand, but the testimonials here have me curious...

It's good mixed into the flour coating for fried chicken. Never tried it on steak.

Tried to get some Dead Rise at Whole Foods just now... no luck. Old Bay in beer doesn't sound good off-hand, but the testimonials here have me curious...

I thought the idea of an Old Bay beer sounded awesome. Saisons and Herb/Spice beers are almost always good. Definitely hard to screw up. Hate that they're not abundant. Edited by d0ublestr0ker0ll

I thought the idea of an Old Bay beer sounded awesome. Saisons and Herb/Spice beers are almost always good. Definitely hard to screw up. Hate that they're not abundant.

Here's what the Post had to say about it:

Flying Dog’s Dead Rise Old Bay Summer Ale doesn’t hit you over the head with Maryland’s most iconic spice. The seasoning adds a subtle bitterness and oceanic aroma to what is otherwise a golden-hued, crisp summer ale, developed to celebrate Old Bay’s 75th anniversary. It’s a very drinkable beer — perfect for a Memorial Day crab boil or an afternoon on the water.

DSC_3396-copy.jpg

http://www.washingtonpost.com/express/wp/2014/05/15/what-to-expect-from-flying-dogs-new-beer-dead-rise-old-bay-summer-ale/

Edited by Dan T.

Alright. Either tomorrow or Saturday I'm hunting for a case of Dead Rise. If I don't find it, I'm liable to buy the Flying Dog In Heat Wheat and mix Old Bay in it.

Had some Sam Adams Summer Ales, and Shock Top Lemon Shandys last night. Summer Ale is way more a Wheat beer, Lemon Shandy's lemonade flavor is even more pronounced when compared to another lemony beer. Damn near tastes like lemonade. For some reason I love this stuff, and could chug it all Summer.

• Like 1