Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Beer Thread

RedskinsFanInTX

So who has tried Flying Dogs Dead rise ?

I've had it. It's not bad. I personally couldn't taste much Old Bay in it, but other people I know said they could. It's a pretty good summer beer IMO. Pretty light, but you can taste the hops. I'd give it a B.

I've had it. It's not bad. I personally couldn't taste much Old Bay in it, but other people I know said they could. It's a pretty good summer beer IMO. Pretty light, but you can taste the hops. I'd give it a B.

Picked up a sixer the other day . I actually liked it. Kinda surprised me , as I'm one of the only people in the world who doesn't love the summer, wheat type beers.

You can taste the old bay, but it's not overpowering at all. Just the right amount.

Would be very refreshing on a warm summer day, for sure.

Edited by grego

Picked up a sizer the other day . I actually liked it. Kinda surprised me , as I'm one of the only people in the world who doesn't love the summer, wheat type beers.

You can taste the old bay, but it's not overpowering at all. Just the right amount.

Would be very refreshing on a warm summer day, for sure.

This is good to hear. I'm not much of a wheat beer guy either, but I was hopeful that Dead Rise might be an exception. Really need it to be, I've got go-to beers for all seasons except summer. 

This is good to hear. I'm not much of a wheat beer guy either, but I was hopeful that Dead Rise might be an exception. Really need it to be, I've got go-to beers for all seasons except summer. 

i visited some relatives years ago in england and they love their shandy. here, its a little different, as the mixer is more of a carbonated lemon soda, not really a sprite (im sure i could find something a little closer to it, like that sundrop soda or something)  but last summer i was enjoying some home made shandys fishing on the chesapeake bay.

any kind of cheap ale or lager and some lemony soda. not too shabby. 

my wife is chilean- instead of lemon soda, they mix beer with orange soda. its a little wacky and takes some getting used to, but you could do worse. 

picked up a sixer of St Arnolds Santo, a pleasant enough black kolsh attempt,but overall it leaves me hanging

sorta like a lightweight New Castle with smoky malt

it seems to taste better after you drink it rather than during

Ok since I have it now I can spill the beans. The two Total Wine locations closest to my office (Chantilly and Sterling) both had Dead Rise and have sold out. Wegmans off Waxpool in Dulles/Sterling has a good bit left though, the manager said 50 cases. I grabbed a case while I was there about 30 minutes ago. 

For folks not close by, Flying Dog's beer tracker is handy. http://flyingdogbrewery.com/beer-finder/

Just make sure you call to confirm it's still in stock. 

Edited by skinsfan_1215

Ok since I have it now I can spill the beans. The two Total Wine locations closest to my office (Chantilly and Sterling) both had Dead Rise and have sold out. Wegmans off Waxpool in Dulles/Sterling has a good bit left though, the manager said 50 cases. I grabbed a case while I was there about 30 minutes ago. 

For folks not close by, Flying Dog's beer tracker is handy. http://flyingdogbrewery.com/beer-finder/

I work for premium distributing, who carrys flying dog, and im not sure of the delivery schedules of the retail stores, but the bars and

restaurants are on a 2 week delivery schedule.. they get enough product for two weeks.

I do know for sure that Fish Market in old town Alexandria (at the end of King St, corner of union st) has Dead Rise in bottles if anyone is close and wants to

go try it :)

Dead Rise: initial reaction was that the Old Bay flavor was surprisingly distinct. Spot on really, I'd be able to easily identify it if it was a blind tasting and I'd never heard of Dead Rise. Very smooth ale, quite satisfied with it. This will be my go-to summer beer.

Edit- my beer sitting in front of a case of its brothers:

10308561_10201848685649938_2049618617910

Edited by skinsfan_1215
  • Like 1

Aw man, your post has me itching to get my hands on some. I've been putting it off because I want to drink it while eating some blue crabs first. My go-to crab feast beer is the DFH 60 minute, but I'm open to change. The 60 will be hard to beat. I don't enjoy it too much by itself, but with seafood it's gnarly.

• Like 1

i know 'the winery' in kent island ( http://thewineryki.com/ ) was sold out this past weekend. (great beer store, btw) the lady in front of me was looking for some while i was picking up some terrapin IPA. as it happened. i had a couple of dead rise in my truck.

should have asked how much she was willing to pay.

I've had a few of Flying Dog beers, harder to come by in HBG, PA but that Dead Rise sounds phenomenal.

Different note Troeg's brewery ( right down the street from Hershey Park) is making alot of noise around here and the Perpetual IPA is great for hop lovers like me

Went Dead Rise hunting and it was sold out everywhere. If they have it on tap at Joe's Crab Shack I'll eat there soon. Was going to get some blue crabs if I found it. Damnit!

Instead, I got Lagunitas Undercover Investigation Shut-Down Ale (that's a long name), and the new Sam Adams Longshot variety 6 pack. Has the "American Stout", "Pineapple IPA", and "Gratzer", which is a Polish smoked wheat beer. Will have this with some chicken leg quarters seasoned in Old Bay.

Stupid question.......what the heck is "old bay"? lol

My aunt married an Australian guy and has lived there for 20+ years. She grew up in Maryland though, and is fully aware of Old Bay. She says she's never seen it on a store shelf in Australia. Come to find out, it's not widely distributed on a large scale. How can the world exist without Old Bay?

It's the red/orange spice Maryland blue crabs are covered in. It's a mixture of celery salt, red and black pepper, and paprika.

My aunt married an Australian guy and has lived there for 20+ years. She grew up in Maryland though, and is fully aware of Old Bay. She says she's never seen it on a store shelf in Australia. Come to find out, it's not widely distributed on a large scale. How can the world exist without Old Bay?

It's the red/orange spice Maryland blue crabs are covered in. It's a mixture of celery salt, red and black pepper, and paprika.

Yea, i dont think i have ever heard of it before...not a lot of crab eating in upstate NY. lol

Had some Dead Rise on draft last night. Definitely better than when I had it in the bottle. Could taste a smidge more Old Bay in it.

Where did you have it on tap?

, "Pineapple IPA.

I gotta hear more about this

Nothing to write home about really because they all are just regular beers, but my work gave everyone free

cases of beer to say thank you for memorial day... we all got 4 cases free! All bottles.... 1 case of miller light

1 case of corona extra, 1 case of blue moon, and 1 case of newcastle brown ale. Im not a huge beer drinker

to begin with...so looks like I wont have to buy any for a while :ols:

I think I'll drink the newcastle and give the rest away :)

Edited by DButz65

I gotta hear more about this

The Longshot Pineapple IPA wasn't as good as it sounds. Hint of pineapple, typical IPA. The American Stout is good, the Gratzer wasn't memorable. The Lagunitas Undercover Investigation Shut-Down Ale is your typical American Strong Ale. I love me some Lagunitas, but this is the least-impressed I've been towards one of their beers. Maybe I'm just sick of American Strong Ales. Hate to be Debbie Downer, but I'm underwhelmed by my purchase today. Thought I was getting Dead Rise and blue crabs, ended up getting beers that kinda let me down.

This is the beer I've brought home in the past week. The Pub Dog Cherry Porter (next to the Longshot pack) is one of the craziest beers I've ever had. Ridiculously carbonated, mega-charcoal flavored brew. Imagine eating grill resin, and washing it down with sparkling water.

image-16.jpg

This was today:

image-17.jpg

Edited by d0ublestr0ker0ll
  • Like 1