Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Beer Thread

RedskinsFanInTX

I picked up a bottle of this tonight.  

Undead-Party-Crasher.jpg

Clown Shoes brewery is out of control with the concoctions they are churning out. To their credit, they work though.  I've had the Chocolate Sombrero (Haven't seen the other Mexican style Chocolate Porter out here yet though), & The Vampire Slayer.  Both really good.

Fairfax Wegmans got a nice shipment of Dead Rise. I took 5 six packs off their hands.

The past 2-3 days your area got a whole bunch of it. While I won't divulge how many cases each store bought, these guys got enough that they should last a bit. Posted in order, with Wegmans in Sterling getting the most. There are several other stores that bought decent amounts, but these guys got a LOT. 

Wegmans 45131 Columbia PL, Sterling

Wegmans 8297 Stonewall Shops SQ, Gainesvile

Wegmans 101 Crosstrain Blvd SE, Leesburg

Total Beverage 13055 Lee Jackson HWY STE, Chantilly

Wegmans 11620 Monument DR, Fairfax

Safeway 9596 Old Keene Mill RD, Burke

Giant Food 1454 Chain Bridge RD, Mclean

Whole Foods 4501 Market Common DR, Fairfax

Total Beverage 46301 Potomac Run PLZ, Sterling

Total Beverage 9484 Main St, Fairfax

Safeway 22350 Sterling Blvd, Sterling

Edited by skinfaninny

Haven't drank for a few days. Even with all the beer I buy, I've become more of a collector and giver. I like to introduce beers to people and let them have what they like, and I especially like collecting the lables off the beer bottles. Need to get a scrapbook.

That said, tonight I'm having a session of Dead Rise.

• Like 1

Had a few good beers over the weekend.

Had the Dogfish Head Namaste. Really good summer beer. Very light and crisp with a hint of orange and lemon to it.

Also had Flying Dog Agave Cerveza. This one wasn't bad, not as good as the Namaste, but still a solid summer beer.

Then I finally had the Dead Rise and crabs combo. Still wasn't feeling the Dead Rise. It really does taste different from the bottle compared to the tap. I much prefer the draft Dead Rise to the bottled Dead Rise. I still can't decide if I really like it that much or not. It's not bad, but it's not my first choice for a summer brew.

A dead rise signage/display at the office/warehouse today

Also im with Matt, dead rise on tap tastes 10x better!

deadrise_zpsfe46d2dd.jpg?t=1404170698

With very few exceptions, as long as it's dispensed out of a balanced system with clean beer lines,  every beer on tap tastes better.   

With very few exceptions, as long as it's dispensed out of a balanced system with clean beer lines,  every beer on tap tastes better.   

If you're in northern va, hell most of va and are drinking premium distributors beer, the lines are cleaned every 2 weeks! I cant

say the same for the "other" distributors out  there and wont name names :) But we have about 70% of the beer market out there

in VA. I could list all of our beers but I have to go to bed now cause I get up at 4am to go clean lines lol

Edited by DButz65
  • Like 1

Thought DFH Namaste was a waste of money. Very light flavor, and carbonated to the moon. Seriously, what's with the champagne level carbonation? Felt like I was drinking a mix of vinegar and baking soda.

Really? I didn't get hardly any carbonation in the ones I had. Maybe you got a bad batch or something?

Thanks for the head's up, fellow brew dudes!  Got Dead Rise at the Fairfax Wegman's last night.  They still had a huge display, so, it looks like they have a good stock.  Hooray, second shipments, hahaha.  Anyways, I too, thought it was good.  To me, it had a good kick of old bay spice, w/o being overbearing. 

A couple weekends ago, me and friends hit up the Nova Brewfest.  As always, a good time.  A couple of local Nova breweries I hadn't had before that I really liked:

http://www.adroit-theory.com/beers

The Scorpion Black IPA was really good

http://www.oldbusthead.com/bit-about-beer

I really liked their chestnut porter

Look for a brand new brewery named Old Ox Brewery out of Ashburn VA to hit shelves around July 14th. I know nothing about them

or what they have made so far, just got a company wide email about it. Their kickoff party is july 8th at their brewery we all got invited to,

we will be distributing them.

Also you people in the NOVA areas.... have you tried OLD BUST HEAD yet? If so how do you like it? They are in Warrenton Va, quite a few

of my accounts have it on tap https://www.facebook.com/OldBustHead?ref=br_tf

How about Heritage?? out of Mannassas https://www.facebook.com/HeritageBrewing?ref=br_tf

Edited by DButz65

Is it just me or does anyone else think Dead Rise is a tad overrated? It's a good beer don't get me wrong, but it's not good enough to be constantly sold out everywhere.

I like it. Overrated? Likely. I got a 6 pack in OC over the weekend for $10. Ouch. Although, all the beer there was overpriced.

I do recognize it's an acquired taste. My Brother in law didn't like it at all. But hey, I hope more and more people buy it. Keep the $ flowing into Maryland breweries. Frankly, it's the only thing out of Flying Dog I've really enjoyed. I've found a lot of their stuff to be average.

New Belgium has a seasonal summer helles that is really good.  Think of a typical American lager but with taste, no overpowering hops.  Perfect at the end of a hot dry day.  They are my go to brewery now, the pils will always be my main choice but I like this helles too.  

Edited by KAOSkins
  • Like 1

I like it. Overrated? Likely. I got a 6 pack in OC over the weekend for $10. Ouch. Although, all the beer there was overpriced.

I do recognize it's an acquired taste. My Brother in law didn't like it at all. But hey, I hope more and more people buy it. Keep the $ flowing into Maryland breweries. Frankly, it's the only thing out of Flying Dog I've really enjoyed. I've found a lot of their stuff to be average.

Like I said, I like it and have bought probably a case worth since it's been out, but it's not really a go to beer for me. I definitely like it better on tap than out of the bottles. I just don't think it's good enough to be sold out everywhere. Seems every liquor store I go to, it's always sold out.

I've been drinking a good amount of Flying Dog brews lately. I have a buddy that works for them as a brewer, so he's been giving me a heads up on stuff. He's coming down this weekend and I'm hoping he brings me a good mix of new stuff to try.

New Belgium has a seasonal summer helles that is really good.  Think of a typical American lager but with taste, no overpowering hops.  Perfect at the end of a hot dry day.  They are my go to brewery now, the pils will always be my main choice but I like this helles too.  

After yesterday, I hate everything associated with Belgium lol

• Like 2

Well there's a huge newness factor with the Dead Rise. And we're dealing with Marylanders here. It's like a Spaghetti flavored brew being released in Italy. Of course it sells out. Is it overrated? No. Nobody is saying it's a world beater. In fact I've seen quite a few detracting views, a good amount in this thread.

It's an extremely hot topic and that's being confused with it getting A's in the grade department. I love it because I'm legitimately addicted to Old Bay as it is. I think the hop presence is tuned very well, it's got a simple AND classy feel to it at the same time. It has something more IPA's should be infused with, spices. Not that it's an IPA, but it clearly has characteristics of one. I've always wondered why there aren't more Veggie/Spice and Saisons made by breweries. Usually always tasty.

Matt, come to think of it, maybe it was a bad bottle of Namaste. It out-carbo'd the notorious Duvel, and when I sipped on it, it blew up in my mouth, almost overflowing. Had to sip it very slowly. That, combined with it being a $12 bomber around these parts, pissed me off.

Edited by d0ublestr0ker0ll

Don't get me wrong, I've been drinking my fair share of Dead Rise, I just don't think it's anything special. And I'm as big of a Flying Dog and Old Bay fan as you'll find.

My buddy that works at Flying Dog is coming down tomorrow. I'm hoping he brings me some interesting stuff to try. I saw that now have a Mango Habanero brew. Not sure how I feel about that, but if he brings one, I'd be willing to give it a try.

Still no dead rise in upstate NY. Said it would be here mid June....still nada

I was under the impression it would be sold in the DMV exclusively (or near exclusively). Anyway, they can't keep up with demand here right now so I doubt you see any for awhile.

I was under the impression it would be sold in the DMV exclusively (or near exclusively). Anyway, they can't keep up with demand here right now so I doubt you see any for awhile.

I'm pretty certain it is limited to DMV. I was in Delaware over the weekend visiting my parents/vacationing in OC, they don't have it in DE. My dad had to get some in OC

I saw that now have a Mango Habanero brew. Not sure how I feel about that, but if he brings one, I'd be willing to give it a try.

I was in Philly a few years ago with some friends. One bar we were at had a Habanero beer. It tasted ok. And wasn't overly hot, but I wouldn't drink it again. It's weird. Not at all refresing. Just odd.

Look for a brand new brewery named Old Ox Brewery out of Ashburn VA to hit shelves around July 14th. I know nothing about them

or what they have made so far, just got a company wide email about it. Their kickoff party is july 8th at their brewery we all got invited to,

we will be distributing them.

Also you people in the NOVA areas.... have you tried OLD BUST HEAD yet? If so how do you like it? They are in Warrenton Va, quite a few

of my accounts have it on tap https://www.facebook.com/OldBustHead?ref=br_tf

How about Heritage?? out of Mannassas https://www.facebook.com/HeritageBrewing?ref=br_tf

Yeah, Old Bust Head is good.  I actually linked to it in my post above yours, haha.  A friend of mine went on their brewery tour and had a good time and tried more of their line.  Looking forward to heading out there one Sat...

Good tips - I'll be on the lookout for Old Ox Brewery.  Be sure to report back on what you think about 'em! ...  Heritage looks good.  Will have to check them out sometime as well.

Is it just me or does anyone else think Dead Rise is a tad overrated? It's a good beer don't get me wrong, but it's not good enough to be constantly sold out everywhere.

I think its novelty coupled with its initial scarcity inflated demand.  I was curious to try it, but I kept striking out finding it.  Getting hold of it became a quest bigger than the prize. (BTW, thanks to Skinfaninny for helping track some down.)

I finally bought a six pack at a Whole Foods.  And it's... okay.  Interesting, but not a go-to-beer for me. They've used the Old Bay wisely in the beer, so you get just a subtle hint of pepper and celery salt.   But it is still Old Bay, a pretty powerful combination of spices that doesn't seem to mesh with beer.   They pulled it off as well as could be expected, I guess.  I had two the first night and my stomach was rumbling a bit after.  I popped another one last night while waiting to see if Ian Desmond's shot was going to be ruled a homer.