Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Beer Thread

RedskinsFanInTX

Right? Highs in the mid 70s to mid 80s all August long in D.C. No sign of a heatwave in the forecast. Been an autumn nip in the air for weeks now.

Local deli just stocked Blue Point beers. One of them is their fall seasonal pumpkin ale. Think that's the next one I try.

Yep...if it were in the 90's im sticking to the summer stuff. But the leaves are already changing here so bring on the fall beers. Ready for some pumpkin/octoberfest and football. lol

And on a side note local beverage center currently has dead ryse on tap. 8.99 for a growler. Might finally be able to give that a try

Edited by S.T.real,lights,out
  • Like 1

Warlock and PumKing....two ****ing fantastic beers. Does Southern Tier make Zombie Dust too?

No Zombie Dust is by Three Floyds  it is a fantastic beer  the beer rating is 100 on  beeradvocate.com  it is very hard to find outside Chicago/Indiana area   Also Daisy Cutter is by Half Acre brewing in Chicago  also very good session beer

Good to see some Pumking fans in this thread. I was beginning to second guess myself after having a ton of it the past few years. Haven't had the Warlock, I imagine it being a lot like The Fear from Flying Dog...a bit more of a syrupy body. I'll get it if I see it.

Spaten Oktoberfest for the game tonight. Really good, not Americanized much at all. Something you'd expect to taste at an actual Oktoberfest.

spaten-oktoberfest-000.jpg

I am stopping my beer binge tonight, swear to god and cross my heart. Had to get some more Shock Top Honeycrisp Apple Wheat, and wanted to try the Blue Point Pumpkin Ale.

Blue Point Pumpkin Ale

WOAH, this stuff has a really good initial kick to it. Nice and heavy roasted caramel and pumpkin pie spices. Finish is a little abrupt, empty and bland, but every sip is a blast of classic fall flavor. Now this is a beer that will taste amazing in late October. It's like a Octoberfest/Pumpkin Ale hybrid. Recommended for you pumpkin ale lovers, this is one of the better ones for sure.

P1020077.JPG

Good to see some Pumking fans in this thread. I was beginning to second guess myself after having a ton of it the past few years. Haven't had the Warlock, I imagine it being a lot like The Fear from Flying Dog...a bit more of a syrupy body. I'll get it if I see it.

Spaten Oktoberfest for the game tonight. Really good, not Americanized much at all. Something you'd expect to taste at an actual Oktoberfest.

spaten-oktoberfest-000.jpg

Warlock is kind of like The Fear. It doesn't have quite the spice that The Fear does and its boozey factor isn't as noticeable either. Both really solid beers though!

Do you want beer that tastes fresh, like it was just brewed at the brewery? Well sooner or later, every beer on tap at bars and

restaurants will have kegs that will give you that freshly brewed taste! Right now, its just Heineken and NewCastle, and these new

keg systems dont use any C02 or gas mixtures to push the beer to the faucet. No air gets in these kegs and doesnt touch the liquid

until it hits your glass/mug. Well maybe not every bar/restaurant because it costs about 452$ to install 2 lines, but the yield per keg

is almost 100% compared to about 90 for your traditional steel kegs, which means more profit per keg for the owner/bar and less wasted

beer from each keg.

We had a training session today on this with a rep from Micro matic, and Heineken

http://brewlocksystem.com/landing.php

Watch the overview video

Awesome new technology in the beer world, I know I know, now we need better beers than a Heiny and newcastle lol

• Like 1

So far out here in CA the few Pumpkin beers that are on shelves are the ones that show up every year. The local shop said Dogfish Head Punkin will be in next week, 25 cases.

It really sucks we can't get Southern Tier out here as I constantly hear about Pumking and Warlock every year.

I find Sam Adams hit or miss for the Oktoberfest. They are fantastic on tap, but bottle, they miss more often than not.

I have a local brewery here called 'Straight to Ale' It is fantastic!!! Some of my favorite beers. They just released a Pumpkin Spice Ale. I have never had a Pumpkin beer as fantastic as this!!!

Do you want beer that tastes fresh, like it was just brewed at the brewery? and these new

keg systems dont use any C02 or gas mixtures to push the beer to the faucet. No air gets in these kegs and doesnt touch the liquid until it hits your glass/mug.

http://brewlocksystem.com/landing.php

Awesome new technology in the beer world, I know I know, now we need better beers than a Heiny and newcastle lol

I like it! Brewery fresh is the best.

I was always under the impression that CO2 is used to equalize the pressure in the keg, not push it to the faucet. I seldom have issues with my system, but it wouldn't hurt my feelings to do away with the pressure side of the equation.

Those kegs look pretty small. Are they sixtels? If not, and without going through all of the attachments & videos, how much beer does one of those kegs hold? Did they mention potential issues?

With that system, do you think that the CO2 still come out of solution, if the temp of the beer exceeds 38 degrees? It seems like a great system for lagers and beers meant to be served real cold.

Thanks!

Edited by Skinsfan1311

I find Sam Adams hit or miss for the Oktoberfest. They are fantastic on tap, but bottle, they miss more often than not.

I have a local brewery here called 'Straight to Ale' It is fantastic!!! Some of my favorite beers. They just released a Pumpkin Spice Ale. I have never had a Pumpkin beer as fantastic as this!!!

Yeah, I went for some good pumpkin ale and oktoberfest right off the bat. The Sam Adams has been the most underwhelming so far. Still pretty good though, didn't expect it to be better than the beers I've been drinkin.

Got 3 more left for tonight.

I like it! Brewery fresh is the best.

I was always under the impression that CO2 is used to equalize the pressure in the keg, not push it to the faucet. I seldom have issues with my system, but it wouldn't hurt my feelings to do away with the pressure side of the equation.

Those kegs look pretty small. Are they sixtels? If not, and without going through all of the attachments & videos, how much beer does one of those kegs hold? Did they mention potential issues?

With that system, do you think that the CO2 still come out of solution, if the temp of the beer exceeds 38 degrees? It seems like a great system for lagers and beers meant to be served real cold.

Thanks!

C02 does both actually... w/o the co2 beer will not flow... try turning your gas off, bet it wont flow for more than a few seconds until the pressure in the line drops :)

They are 5 gallons.. they are about the same size as a 5 gallon micro matic line cleaning can 201-420.jpg

C02 is not what they use to pressurize the keg or the beer, the beer doesnt have any gas's added to it what so ever.... the bladder inside is what holds the beer, the outer bladder around the actual beer is pressurized. Think of it like a paper bag inside, when beer starts to leave, the bladder will start to shrink little by little. A actual compressor installed outside of the keg room/cooler is what pressurizes it

These new kegs can not be layed on their sides, but their foot print is MUCH smaller than a traditional steel keg,but is about a 1/6 bbl i would say

BuCoTEWIMAAtgot.jpg

If too small to read ^^

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/BuCoTEWIMAAtgot.jpg:large

Edited by DButz65
  • Like 1

C02 does both actually... w/o the co2 beer will not flow... try turning your gas off, bet it wont flow for more than a few seconds until the pressure in the line drops :)

They are 5 gallons.. they are about the same size as a 5 gallon micro matic line cleaning can C02 is not what they use to pressurize the keg or the beer, the beer doesnt have any gas's added to it what so ever.... the bladder inside is what holds the beer, the outer bladder around the actual beer is pressurized. Think of it like a paper bag inside, when beer starts to leave, the bladder will start to shrink little by little. A actual compressor installed outside of the keg room/cooler is what pressurizes it

Thanks!

As a professional, how do you like it?

IMHO, (based on nothing at all :)), it sounds like this will go the way of the MiniDisc or Betamax tapes.  Great idea, took off for a while, then died.  I don't see any of the domestic brewers, (the big boys and craft brewers), going for it.

I would think that it would be a hit in many of the European bars, and in certain niche markets, (like cruise ships),because of less waste, and the smaller footprint as a result of smaller kegs & no more gas cylinders. 

It'll be interesting to see how this plays out. 

Edited by Skinsfan1311

^^^ They only had Newcastle tapped with these kegs the day of training, and I hate that stuff so I didnt drink it lol Right now its just Heineken and that available.

Oh I think one day every brewery will jump on this bandwagon, domestic, import and craft, and what restaurant owner or bar owner wouldnt want more profit per ounce AND less wasted beer? and the kegs are totally recyclable aka green. This just hit the market, ie available to retailers, the one installed at Crystal City Sports Pub in Arlington was the first on the entire east coast, thats how new it is.

• Like 1

Gotta love beer and gotta love some beer makers. 99 pack. LOL. 

http://www.nydailynews.com/news/national/austin-beerworks-99-packs-beer-sell-day-article-1.1922386

DButz that's a cool system there. About time the old keg system got an overhaul.  Storage space and apparent ease of change is are a couple of good reasons for that system.  The bars I worked at and managed had only so much room for keg storage and some of that storage required lifting those ****s up on shelves. I can see how that system could alleviate some of that. Can see how that would also help bars and such up their variety on draft,which these days,is very important I think. 

Beer O'clock btw. :)