Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Beer Thread

RedskinsFanInTX

Hit up a few breweries with a bud on Sunday in the northern VA area..

Heritage Brewing in Manassass. http://www.heritagebrewing.com/  Really good selection.  My fav was King's Mountain (Scott-American Ale).  They had an oak-barrel aged version on tap that day - awesome.  Cool, new brewery.  The staff there was fun to chat with and let us know that it was founded by 2 special-forces guys!

Bad Wolf Brewing also in Manassass.  http://www.badwolfbrewingcompany.com/  Solid, but honestly, I was not "wowed" by anything.  But overall good stuff.  It was also literally across the main road from Heritage.

Lastly, we hit up Old Bust Head in Warrenton.  http://www.oldbusthead.com/  They were really good! Their new taproom is really well done.  Spacious, had live music when we were there and just had a really professional, yet welcoming set-up.  They have a good selection as well, but we thought their darker beers, the stout and porter were the home-runs.  Good stuff!

Def worth the effort, if you ever decide to go brewery hopping! 

I am in Houston for the game, and the first thing I did once I got here was check to see if Southern Tier has distribution here! Yep!

Happy to say I picked up 2 bottles of Pumpking, and a bottle of Warlock.  Have heard about these beers for a few years now and was on the verge of giving up having any realistic hope of drinking them.

Just cracked open the first Pumpking and it is glorious!  It is the most pumpkin pie/pie crust-y pumpkin beer I have had. It tastes a lot different than most other pumpkin beers that I have had.  I will probably crack open the Warlock tonight after the Redskins Rally event.

• Like 1

I need to get me a Pumpking and Warlock very soon.

All yall mofos are WRONG about the DuClaw Sweet Baby Jesus. All I keep hearing are negative reviews over and over and over again, and wouldn't ya know it - I love the stuff. Reminds me of a Southern Tier, where the flavor is thick. It's a friggin' Resee Cup beer, what's not to like? *drool*. Definitely getting a second sixer very soon.

Also had the Sierra Nevada Red IPA, which is another fall seasonal from them. It's alright, but comes off as a double pale ale, which I've grown a distaste for lately. Meh. I usually love hoppy beers from Sierra Nevada, and yeah, it's good...have 4 left from a 6 pack I got on Friday, I'm not exactly chomping at the bit to drink it.

Edited by d0ublestr0ker0ll

Picked up my first sixer of the Fear over the weekend. How I've missed thee!

Dang! Haven't seen it! Jealous.

Btw, I have a 3 year old bottle of it. Wonder how long I should age it. 3 sounds good, but taking it to 4 or 5 would be more interesting I think.

Thinking of aging a bottle of something for 10 years. My oldest beers are 5 year old bottles of DFH Midas Touch and FD Double Dog.

Dang! Haven't seen it! Jealous.

Btw, I have a 3 year old bottle of it. Wonder how long I should age it. 3 sounds good, but taking it to 4 or 5 would be more interesting I think.

Thinking of aging a bottle of something for 10 years. My oldest beers are 5 year old bottles of DFH Midas Touch and FD Double Dog.

It was soooo good! I have a buddy that works at Flying Dog. I'll ask him what he thinks about aging it.

So I won a season long bet with a Braves fan co-worker today. The Nats won me a 12 pack of 12oz bottles. This cannot be substituted for three 4 packs or anything like that.

So... Recommendations for the 12 pack? Looking for higher quality/price. I'm considering a Stone or Dominion mixed pack but any other suggestions would be appreciated.

I am going to the Cal Brew Fest tomorrow, I am sort of starting to be turned off by brew fests because it seems like too many breweries are phoning it in and merely pour their standard beers you can find in stores.

I remember a few years ago when I was going to these kinds of things, breweries would bring all sorts of seasonals and limited edition stuff to sample.

Perhaps it is coinciding with the push to make the events tokenless because they probably don't have enough to give it out unlimited, but the WCBF solved that pretty easy by only pouring certain beers at certain times of the day.  Doing that easily separated the folks there to actually try the good stuff, from the ones simply there to drink as much as possible and get wasted.

So just about sick of Pumpkin beer right now. lol

Picked up a 12 of this. Not sure if you guys are able to get this stuff in the DC area or anywhere outside of upstate NY area but this brewery (Adirondack Brewery) has a lot of good beers. Really enjoy this one and the Dirty Blonde the make..

348s.jpg

Edited by S.T.real,lights,out
  • Like 1

picked up a mixed harpoon 12 pack. some IPA, rye PA, pumpkin and octoberfest. been trying really hard to expand outside of my love of hops with mixed results.

the octoberfest was ok. the pumpkin was sweet and not really my thing. 

doublestroke- i had the terrapin rye too. it was pretty good, but my favorite rye is still the sierra nevada. the honey crisp wheat sounds really good. 

I like a GOOD fruit flavored beer. A BAD fruit flavored beer is probably the worst kind of beer there is. The Shock Top Honeycrisp is a really straightforward, in-your-face flavor, that I could guzzle the rest of my life. It's a little like a hard cider, but trust me, I hate hard cider. The Shock Top Honeycrisp is a sour apple BEER for sure.

I got some more Dead Rise (because I'm worried it's going away)...and some Fordham Spiced Harvest Ale. Peeps at the store keep telling me it's good.

Btw...

Sam Adams Pumpkin Harvest > Sam Adams Octoberfest.

Mhmm Amber Ale season fo sho.

How many good fall beers are there? Hard to find a bad one, IMO. Worst I've had this year is the Sam Adams Octoberfest, and I actually promote the stuff on here! Need to see if I can find a lame one. Haven't had Yuengling Octoberfest...the problem is I bet it's decent. Best beer season is upon us.

So are they really cutting off Dead Rise until next Spring? My purchases alone should convince them otherwise. Stuffs been selling well still. Stores are out of stock every few weeks here.

If you really like the Dead Rise that much, save yourself some serious money and rim a pint glass with Old Bay & fill it up with your favorite lager or lighter ale. I'm serious..they were doing that at a bar in Pasadena, with Natty Boh. They called them "Bohtini's". I was skeptical, but they were damn good & at a fraction of the price of the cost of Dead Rise.

• Like 1