Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Beer Thread

RedskinsFanInTX

(Walks by fridge while coming inside for a moment).   df-samuel-adams_300.jpg              Hmmmmm. Nah. Better wait until done out there. 

*Clicks on this thread* 

Pop fizz.....   ;) 

Oh yeah. Saw this on Salvage Dawgs the other day. Way cool what they did with the front of that old bus. 

busbar.jpg

• Like 1

Tried the St Arnold brown porter today, not bad

A bit light for my preference ,but creamy with chocolate and nut tones with a light malt...good session beer with interesting nuances

Black Butte porter is much better , but I'll try another tomorrow in case the Optimator was clouding my buds

Ever had one of Black Butte Porter's anniversary editions?  I had last year's and it was incredible. It was pricey at $12 for a pint & 6 oz, but considering the standard BBP is one of my favorites, I decided to splurge.

Ever had one of Black Butte Porter's anniversary editions?  I had last year's and it was incredible. It was pricey at $12 for a pint & 6 oz, but considering the standard BBP is one of my favorites, I decided to splurge.

not that I recall, hard enough to find the regular here....I've heard good things

they just opened a well stocked pub close by though,so my selection should improve

ls.jpg

We have a German exchange teacher staying with us this week.  I went to the liquor store after work and picked up a six pack of Yuengling and a four-banger of Midas Touch.  

As hot as this afternoon felt after the winter we had, I was sorely tempted to crack open a Yuengling in the parking lot.  Naturally I didn't, but man I wanted to.

Score. I will drink what is mine, with fire and blood...

Well that was disappointing. I've only had 2 of the 3, but the Ommegang Game of Thrones line in general has been a disappointment. The Take the Black Stout was generic and this Fire & Blood was underwhelming. Not really a red as described and the ancho chiles they pimp out don't really appear but faintly at the back end.

Ommegang's a great brewery otherwise so this is irksome.

Polliver...

Ilyn Payne...

Joffrey...

Cersei...

The Tickler...

The Mountain...

Ommegang...

Hosting another poker game tonight. Same deal as always, everyone brings alcohol to share. We don't bogart each other's stuff, but everyone samples everything. Rum, vodka, whiskey, beer. I got some Newcastle, and will leave a couple of Sam Adams Imperial Whites in there for whoever wants it.

Was able to try some of Flying Dog's Dead Rise last night. I thought it was pretty good. Could taste a hint of Old Bay in there, but it was a pretty light hoppy beer. Definitely a good summer beer and would go great with crabs.

Knew it was gonna be light. Ehh, whatever. Makes sense, but I ****ing love Old Bay. I season my chicken, beef and salmon with it all the time. The chicken I will grill today is marinating in an old bay dry rub. An imperial pilsner, or an IPA with Old Bay would be awesome

Knew it was gonna be light. Ehh, whatever. Makes sense, but I ****ing love Old Bay. I season my chicken, beef and salmon with it all the time. The chicken I will grill today is marinating in an old bay dry rub. An imperial pilsner, or an IPA with Old Bay would be awesome

I'm the same way with Old Bay, I put it on my eggs, chicken, potatoes, fries, corn, burger, you name it lol. It really is a pretty solid summer beer. My brother said to him it tastes like Sam's Summer Ale with Old Bay. I didn't really taste any citrus in there. To me I got some hops and a hint of Old Bay. Enough that you know it's in there, but not enough to over power it. It was a solid beer. I'd give it a B-.

• Like 1

B-!? Damn man. Flying Dog had two golden opportunities with the mint chocolate stout and the dead rise. Extreme flavors turned in to light accents. Why not just put mint and chocolate in to the Gonzo? That'd be insane.

Still hadn't found the Mint Chocolate but a buddy of mine had it and said he didn't taste any mint in it. Said it wasn't bad, but tasted more chocolately than minty.

Dead Rise is good, don't get me wrong. Maybe a B- was a little low, I'd say B.

Is it rare to get a bad bottle? I got a 6 pack of Fat Tire which is one of my favorites and the 4th one just tasted like absolute ass. Could not even drink it.

rare? yes. 

impossible? no. 

i used to keep a sixer of flying dog classic pale ale in the fridge. i definitely got a bad six pack once. and i'm convinced i've gotten 2 bad six packs of their raging ****. tasted like band aids.

rare? yes. 

impossible? no. 

i used to keep a sixer of flying dog classic pale ale in the fridge. i definitely got a bad six pack once. and i'm convinced i've gotten 2 bad six packs of their raging ****. tasted like band aids.

It happens in kegs too.. the wrong beer gets put in the keg... they are labeled raging **** but really arent, have had a handful of customers complain their raging **** tasted "burnt" or just "bad" , get over there, pour a little and was like ewwwwww lol had to tag them so they could get new ones :)

Got my hands on the elusive Cigar City 5 Beers for 5 Years Imperial Oatmeal Cream Porter.  

5_beers.jpg

Comes in at 11% but its hidden fairly well.  An excellent porter.

Last Friday we did our annual draft party...which has turned more so into a beer tasting over the years.  Here is the graveyard:

draft_party2.jpg

Some random nonsense...from left to right:

Fat Head's Head Hunter:  A great IPA I've mentioned in this thread before.  They started distributing in FL about a year ago.  Ranked as one of the best IPAs in the country.  Worthy of its reputation.

Knee Deep Imperial Tanilla Porter:  All beers from Knee Deep are great.  Its a 10% porter than drinks very easily.

Hoppin Frog Double Pumpkin:  Never had much luck with Hoppin Frog beers but this one was OK. Got it on clearance at Total for $3.99.  Worth it at that price.  (though I think retail is like $9.99)

Cigar City Good Gourd:  My favorite pumpkin.  Needed to get it out of the closet since it was about 6 months old.  Still tasted fantastic.

Knee Deep Batch 138:  Knee Deep seems to nail all their IPAs.  While this one isn't on the level of the Hoptologist...its still excellent.  

Moylan's Hopsickle:  A great DIPA.  If you're a hoppy/high ABV IPA fan you will love this one. (its on the level of Maharaja for me)

Bogota Brewing Septimazo IPA:  This one was pretty good.  A co-worker went down to Colombia and brought it back for me.  I've had a few beers from Bogota Brewing and this one is by far the best I've tried.

Hair of the Dog Fred:  A strong ale.  Very good...especially if you like that style.  

Terrapin Hopzilla:  Love this DIPA.  (great name and label too)  The price point isn't there though.  $13.99 for a 4 pack is crazy. ($9.99 is more in line)  Its only out about a month a year so still good for an annual tasting.  

Maine Brewing Company Lunch IPA:  Just an all around excellent IPA.  So smooth and drinkable.