Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

your first car?

kevin11

First car I ever owned was a 78 Jeep CJ5. Spent a few thousand more dollars than what it was worth, but oh well. Learn by doing.

Ahh, a fellow JEEP lover. I had a CJ5, Wrangler, and an 81 CJ7 that I completely redid. Frame off restoration. I painted it 81 corvette yellow and had 38' ground hawgs on it. That thing was a show stopper. I drove it to Haynes Jeep in Richmond to get something for it and every employee in the place came outside. Then I grew up and learned to appreciate not having it snow inside the vehicle as much as it was outside.

1966 Ford Galaxie 500.

Best car evar! Could fit about 12 people for a day of skipping school and going swimming at Difficult Run. Broke 200k miles until it went out of commission when my sister wrapped it around a tree.

Oh, that poor tree. Did it survive. My buddy had one of those. We called her the tank.

• 4 years later...

Selling my first car tomorrow . . . 2003 Honda Accord LX It's a 2-door. It's got about 161K miles on it. I bought it when I was in my twenties brand new (most likely never buying another new car ever again). Now I'm mid 30s with a kid and another on the way and the 2-doors just won't cut it (we already bought a minivan)—never thought when I bought it that I'd be in this stage of my life.

3Ga3K53Ja5K65Fe5J5cb361b922d25e67136b.jpg

Oh, that poor tree. Did it survive. My buddy had one of those. We called her the tank.

Had a buddy named Eddie, whose dad had a green Galaxy 500, or whatever that tank was. No joke, like the previous post, we could fit about 11-12 of us in it and run around "town". The late 70s-early 80s were the best. Even when we got in trouble, it was just extra chores. Knock 'em out, show your "ability to look toward your future", and you're back on the phone in no time flat.

(cuz believe it or not, the phone was all we had then. seriously.)

1982 or 83 Grey Toyota Tercel technically.

1983+Toyota+Tercel+Hatchback.+-+3.jpg

It died soon after I started driving it so I barely got to know it.

Then it was a blue 1991 Toyota Camry.

1_1991_toyota_camry_clunker.jpg

This was back when they had those awful automatic shoulder strap safety belts in the front seats. Well, the driver's side one didn't work. So I spent, what? two years driving around with that thing obviously broken and hoping no policeman was paying attention to me. It also had a bad belt somewhere under the hood and that thing squealed like a banshee.

I lived in fear of breakdowns but other than that, it was great. I was blessedly unconcerned with my utter shabbiness in High School. Now that I've moved to an actual city and am not such a hayseed, I'd be embarrassed to drive a hoopdee like that around.

Got it when I was 16(?) and it was a Hyundai Accent from like 2001 I think. A few months after I got it, the accelerator went dysfunctional and the car would pick up speed by itself. I would have to drive by monitoring the break pedal more than the accelerator. Didn't tell my parents because I didn't want it taken away and to end up without one. Looking back in hindsight, it was a really moronic thing to do.

Bare bones 4-door turquoise pontiac sunfire until I totaled it after about 3 months. Then I upgraded (there was nowhere to go but up from that one) to a white cavalier z-24. When my nephew totaled that one, I got a chevy cobalt. So 3 cars, each slightly better than the other, but all pretty much exactly the same for all intents and purposes.

Got it when I was 16(?) and it was a Hyundai Accent from like 2001 I think. A few months after I got it, the accelerator went dysfunctional and the car would pick up speed by itself. I would have to drive by monitoring the break pedal more than the accelerator. Didn't tell my parents because I didn't want it taken away and to end up without one. Looking back in hindsight, it was a really moronic thing to do.

Your accelerator wasn't sticking.

Archived