Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

How many would flock to a new party?

Hubbs

The Democrats and the Republicans have a strangehold on the federal government that doesn't seem destined to fall apart anytime soon, even with the apparent fractures within the GOP at the moment. And while much of America seems to accept both the system and the two parties that dominate it without much of a second thought, my personal interactions have led me to believe that if a strong third party were to emerge, and there was a general consensus that it really could establish itself as a major player in national politics and perhaps even replace one of the older parties, a large number of people would be very interested in this new party, simply because it would not be one of the big two. So many seem to be sick of both the Dems and the Reps that they want a realistic different choice simply for the purpose of sticking it to both of the older groups, nas long as the policies aren't completely absurd (the Communist Party of America doesn't count, for example).

Like I said, however, this feeling comes more from my personal experience than anything else. So I want to toss an open-ended question to ES and see what others have to say. If a legitimate challenger to the Democrats and Republicans were to arrive on the scene in the next, say, 20 years - let's pretend that it was backed by a few famous, very committed billionaires who really had the capacity to overcome many of the hurdles typical third parties face - and that party had policies that Americans could generally agree with, do you think there's a large chunk of the population that would be open to changing its voting allegiance? Or do you believe that the two mainstream parties are too ingrained in our collective political train of thought to really give anyone else a fighting chance?

When it comes right down to it, probably very few. Whatever the third party took on some issues, it would not make some people happy. Given the choice to stay with a party they aren't completely happy w/, but know, most people aren't going to make the effort to switch to another they aren't completely happy with.

The problem is that since we have first past the post voting you invariable have to chose the lesser of two evils.

I would support a party solely on their basis to implement IRV or some other Condorcet voting system in the federal elections.

Exactly, it is impossible for more than 2 parties to be competitive in our system. There isn't really any point.

You're going to find a lot more disillusioned Republicans right now with whom you can form your party. If you want to know who they are on ES they're the ones saying "all politicians suck and are corrupt." LOL I don't blame them given the circumstances. I'm quite happy with the Democrats at the moment and I'll be even happier with liberals dominating the house, senate, whitehouse, and hopefully the supreme court. America seems to agree.

It would depend on that party's platform.

However, I am all for a three-party or four-party system. If we had a legit third party and fourth party, I think that would get both the Democrats and Republicans off their complacent high horse and get back to what they are supposed to do, which is serve the people of this country.

And with a legit third and fourth party, we would have more of a true democracy.

The Democrats and the Republicans have a strangehold on the federal government that doesn't seem destined to fall apart anytime soon, even with the apparent fractures within the GOP at the moment. And while much of America seems to accept both the system and the two parties that dominate it without much of a second thought, my personal interactions have led me to believe that if a strong third party were to emerge, and there was a general consensus that it really could establish itself as a major player in national politics and perhaps even replace one of the older parties, a large number of people would be very interested in this new party, simply because it would not be one of the big two. So many seem to be sick of both the Dems and the Reps that they want a realistic different choice simply for the purpose of sticking it to both of the older groups, nas long as the policies aren't completely absurd (the Communist Party of America doesn't count, for example).

Like I said, however, this feeling comes more from my personal experience than anything else. So I want to toss an open-ended question to ES and see what others have to say. If a legitimate challenger to the Democrats and Republicans were to arrive on the scene in the next, say, 20 years - let's pretend that it was backed by a few famous, very committed billionaires who really had the capacity to overcome many of the hurdles typical third parties face - and that party had policies that Americans could generally agree with, do you think there's a large chunk of the population that would be open to changing its voting allegiance? Or do you believe that the two mainstream parties are too ingrained in our collective political train of thought to really give anyone else a fighting chance?

So what you're trying to say is that there isn't another smaller party already that encompasses your views? Considering the breadth and scale of the different parties in the American landscape, I find that hard to believe.

You're going to find a lot more disillusioned Republicans right now with whom you can form your party. If you want to know who they are on ES they're the ones saying "all politicians suck and are corrupt." LOL I don't blame them given the circumstances. I'm quite happy with the Democrats at the moment and I'll be even happier with liberals dominating the house, senate, whitehouse, and hopefully the supreme court. America seems to agree.

Not if you look at congress approval ratings which has gone down since the democrats retook control

It'd be nice if this new party could actually gain power in some states through grassroots movements. With that, getting seats in Congress and holding them wouldn't be such an obstacle to their long-term survival. Money alone won't cut it, though it helps a lot.

I know it will probably never happen, but I'd love to see our government made up of people with absolutly no political party affiliation. True, pure independents. They already have other politcal parties, but they don't seem to take electiond as seriously as the Dems or Republicans. I remember thinking to myself when Nader announced he was running again, "what the hell took you so long? Your late!".

Archived