Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Last update on my Mom's fight with cancer (05/10/12)

SnyderShrugged

Dear ES bretheren,

A couple of hours ago I received a phone call from my younger brother. He asked me to sit down. My mother had what we thought was a fairly easy and routine surgery to remove part of her thyroid. She had been told they wanted to do a biopsy just in case. When in surgery the Doctors found that her entire thyoid and the surrounding area were filled with cancerous cells. They were unable to remove the cancer. There is a 50/50 chance that my mother has anaplastic thyroid cancer, which from research, I've learned has a low 5% survival rate and an 80% chance of not making it past a year. My father, who has had issues with high blood pressure and stroke is doing very poorly since he got the news. I fear I will lose both of my parents.

I am literally lost in despair right now. I live 800 miles away and feel so utterly alone and helpless in dealing with this horrible news.

I simply dont know what to do, think, or say. I have very few close friends locally whom I can turn to.

I know that my politics and points of views have alienated me from many of you here, but I dont know where to turn to for support.

I need you.

Man SS that is terrible news. I'm just sorry to hear that. :(

At times like these I wish I was better with words, but your mom, dad, and entire family will be in my prayers. I hope that you find the strength that you need. From what I know of you I'm sure you will.

Your family, will be in my prayers bro.

When I go through difficult times, I read footprints in the sand. It helps comfort me.

One night I dreamed I was walking along the beach with the Lord. Many scenes from my life flashed across the sky. In each scene I noticed footprints in the sand. Sometimes there were two sets of footprints, other times there were one set of footprints. This bothered me because I noticed that during the low periods of my life, when I was suffering from anguish, sorrow or defeat, I could see only one set of footprints. So I said to the Lord, "You promised me Lord, that if Ifollowed you, you would walk with me always. But I have noticed that during the most trying periods of my life there have only been one set of footprints in the sand. Why, when I needed you most, you have not been there for me?" The Lord replied, "The times when you have seen only one set of footprints in the sand, is when I carried you." Mary Stevenson

I know that my politics and points of views have alienated me from many of you here, but I dont know where to turn to for support.

I need you.

Snyder you do not have to defend your positions you are entitled to them so don't think people do not like you because of them.

Your family is in my prayers, I wish you the best and hope the best for both your mother and father.

In a time like this it doesnt matter what your race is, what your beliefs are, what your political affiliation is. All that is set aside. We are here for you brother.

Agreed. I've given you a lot of grief about that sort of stuff but this kind of thing is what's really important. My wife and I are going through the same thing right now with her Sister who's at the end of the road with lung cancer. I'll be pulling for your Mother to make a full recovery and for your Father to handle things well no matter the outcome.

I'm really sorry to hear this dude.

Oh man, I'm so sorry to hear about this SS. And seriously, even though we all get into trivial debates about politics and other inane crud here in the tailgate, that does not negate the fact that we are all human and we need to support each other and help lift each other up during hard times. I just want to send out my heartfelt thoughts to you and your family and I will add every one of you to my prayer list. Stay strong buddy, your family needs you now more than ever.

And like S.O. said, if you get a chance and happen to believe in Christianity, read through the "Footprints" poem...it's my favorite poem and really captures how I believe God gets us through the lowest points in our lives.

Archived