Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Poll: Should Tailgate Posts Count??

Tarhog

What do you think of the new site?  

63 members have voted

1. 1. What do you think of the new site?

• Amazing
    • Cool
    • Could be better
    • A letdown

This poll is closed to new votes

Where have I heard that before? Oh wait.......

:)

:slap:

I think post count should be counted in the Tailgate. Why not? The experiment to bring the primary focus towards the Stadium by eliminating the post count all together in the Tailgate Forum was flawed from the gate. Naturally and in hindsight, this is obvious. However, at the time of the 'ruling' it was not that easy. Blade and his staff did not have the power of hindsight when they came up with this idea. How are they to know what will or what will not work? And to what extent of the progression or regression this type of ruling would result in? They can't/won't/obviously didn't. They made a decision and went with it. I don't fault them to any degree.

As someone who openly admits to being one of 'those guys' whom posts a reply that is not of the highest standards on the 'quality over quanity scale. I just do not know how you can limit, or try to anyway, someones opinion and where they can have it. It just seems, in the grand scheme of things, is being done with the limiting of 'counting' of ones thoughts in a certain portion of this board. Remember, the idea was to direct people to the Stadium and make that the primary focal point.. Do posts matter? Not to all but, I find it difficult to believe that it doesn't matter in even the smallest regard to the greater majority of this board.

To me? I guess the 'outrage' was a result of the principle of the matter and not about the concrete idea of sporting a cool avatar. The members who spoke out against it, were not angry that they no longer get to up their post count by participating in the Tailgate forum. Certainly not that they can't get that cool avatar that they have had their eyes on. :silly: If anything, there was a small minority that had attitude towards it.

I guess what I am trying to say is that it made them feel less important.

It seems that the general consensus is that post count does not matter. And if that is true, they why wouldn't it count towards post count? You can argue both sides and have a damned good argument.

Basically, if post count does not matter, why are we debating this? Why is this a thread? Why is this even an issue?

To be honest, post count, matters. Just in different ways to different people.

Make it count. Whether it completely matters or not. Just give the members what they have been asking for. It won't hurt either way and it has been proven, IMO. :2cents:

Since there is a ticker indicating each of our's post count why not count the tailgate?

For the argument about who cares about post count, I don't disagree. If that is the case though why not get rid of post counts all together since they don't matter? If that happened perhaps the Stadium will improve, since some will have less motivation to post their thoughts just to up their post count????

A couple of years ago, a staff decision was made to modify the board software so that only Stadium posts would 'count' in a member's total post count history. The intent was to encourage posting in the Stadium, in recognition that this was, first and foremost, a Redskin's fan forum. Whether or not that decision accomplished anything or not, I don't know. But I do know the decision was widely unpopular among a lot of members, and I've wondered why, in light of that, we've insisted on keeping that in place despite the knowledge that the vast majority of members would prefer that Tailgate posts 'count'.

So, for the record, I'd like to know what the membership consensus is on the subject.

Should Tailgate posts 'count'?

Being quite the rebel nowadays I see :D;)

Another thought on this issue. Just my opinion, but I see the Taligate as a "service" provided to ESers that is subservient to the primary purpose of the board, which is to discuss the Redskins.

For example, I was once in the market for a space heater for my house, and I wanted to ask around to see which heater I should buy. So I started a thread asking for advice. I got some great feedback, and ended up purchasing one of the heaters someone recommended in the thread. The feedback I got was a big help to me, and I sincerely appreciated it.

But having said that, I don't expect a thread I started about a space heater, of all things, to boost my post count on a Redskins message board. In fact, that very thought seems pretty silly to me.

I'm also not crazy about the idea that someone could theoretically achieve (if that's the proper word) a "Ring of Fame" avatar featuring a Redskins great like Art Monk, John Riggins, or Sonny Jurgensen, without ever making one single football-related comment on the board.

One thing I notice in this thread is that a lot of those who are advocating for counting tailgate posts, are saying things like, "I voted yes because I want a better avatar," or "I want a Darrell Green avatar," instead of discussing the actual issue. Who wouldn't want a better avatar? But that's not a reason to change a rule.

As I mentioned before, I won't object if the rule is changed. But just wanted to share my opinion.

Perhaps there's some way to reward longevity on the site, rather than rewarding sheer volume of posts?

If spam threads are the issue, perhaps a new board is in order? Call it the bar. All picture threads, "rate my" thread, "top ten" threads, "blank of the day" threads, "Ask MSF" and so on would go in there and not have a post count. Tailgate, on the other hand, would contain threads of intellectual value such as religion, politics, economy, cultural topics, basically anything that can harbor intellectual debate and isn't just posting for the sake of posting. I modded a board with a similar system and it worked quite well.

But having said that, I don't expect a thread I started about a space heater, of all things, to boost my post count on a Redskins message board. In fact, that very thought seems pretty silly to me.

I'm also not crazy about the idea that someone could theoretically achieve (if that's the proper word) a "Ring of Fame" avatar featuring a Redskins great like Art Monk, John Riggins, or Sonny Jurgensen, without ever making one single football-related comment on the board.

two great points here. kind of my feelings on this too.

Chom (a Pat's fan) got his HOF Avatar thru 10,000 posts claiming Bush is the debil.

Who Del (Eagles fan) got his HOF Avatar thru 10,000 posts such as "lolz u suk".

Both are not worthy to wear a B&G HOF'er imho :) Football avatars should be awarded for football posts. And I think fans of opposing teams should have their own avatar, like a generic 'visitor' avatar or something similar.

If spam threads are the issue, perhaps a new board is in order? Call it the bar. All picture threads, "rate my" thread, "top ten" threads, "blank of the day" threads, "Ask MSF" and so on would go in there and not have a post count. Tailgate, on the other hand, would contain threads of intellectual value such as religion, politics, economy, cultural topics, basically anything that can harbor intellectual debate and isn't just posting for the sake of posting. I modded a board with a similar system and it worked quite well.

kind of seems redundant to me.

Is it not possible to make posts in all threads count, except ones where a Mod could flag it otherwise (Word Association, Game Threads etc)?

Post count only mattered to me in the very beginning, when I wanted to get rid of the cheerleader. Back then it seemed like it took forever to get to 100 posts. Nowadays, it seems like posts flow like water. It would take a while for me to reach 10k at this rate, and I don't really care.

When I post in the Stadium, I recognize names here and there but there's also a lot of 'white noise' going on.

When I post in the ATN, which is far less frequent, it's fun but I know that I'm jumping in on pre-existing dynamics of regulars and often just need to sit back and watch Bubba do his thing. :)

When I post in the Tailgate, it's like going to a big room with a bunch of friends. The settings are smaller, the topics varied but usually interesting. I think I spend more time there now than the other sites. A lot of the folks that I enjoy tailgating with at FedEx are in there, so it's almost an extension of the real thing.

If the TG post start to count then great, but not big deal if they don't. I don't hang out in TG for the post counts anyways, just there for conversation with friends.

Who Del (Eagles fan) got his HOF Avatar thru 10,000 posts such as "lolz u suk".

For what it's worth, he really wants either an eagles BirdMan avatar or a fat Andy Reid avatar. We won't give it to him because 1) he's realy a closet Skins fan & 2) we like to torment him by declining his request. :)

For what it's worth, he really wants either an eagles BirdMan avatar or a fat Andy Reid avatar. We won't give it to him because 1) he's realy a closet Skins fan & 2) we like to torment him by declining his request. :)

Perfect! :)

It was much like the inevitable escalation of any thread with half-nekkid girlie pics :D always getting pushed to the point where it gets closed (though we've been ignoring the paradeskin link :silly: ).
lolz < -- this will not be included in my post count, no worries :)

http://extremeskins.com/forums/showthread.php?t=240119&page=4&pp=15 < -- see post 57

Speaking of Who Del, my daughter has been speaking with him on the phone. He seems to be okay - his usual goofy self, she says. (she says that only in the most affectionate way, of course)

Okay, back to topic...

Yes posts in the tailgate should count. It was highly irregular to allow the "bash the other team threads" in the stadium where posters were racking up several hundred posts at a time *cough hazzard, bubba cough* after deleting posts in the tailgate.

Although I do agree with Bob to eliminate post counts totally and allow all members to select any avatar they choose and/or create custom avatars. It's funny how many of the members say that they don't care about post counts and avatars, but you don't hear them saying do away with the hirarchy system.

ATN posts count. Tailgate posts don't. Therefore we're discriminating against many Redskin fans around here, and catering to the fans of other teams. It won't be long before we're truly second-class citizens (if not worse) on our own board.

Damnit. Can I please be a minority in something??? :silly: :laugh:

Now, now Jumbo. That thread is good information for every Redskins fan to have. Next time your crotch is itchy, don't come around here looking for answers or sympathy!
WTF was that about.:laugh:

Unbelievable.

But this could go somewhere....

SM907Itchy-Scratchy-Posters.jpg

:doh: come on i was bleeding, thats what concerned me!

Archived