Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Poll: Should Tailgate Posts Count??

Tarhog

What do you think of the new site?  

63 members have voted

1. 1. What do you think of the new site?

• Amazing
    • Cool
    • Could be better
    • A letdown

This poll is closed to new votes

I keep hearing the argument about this being a football message board and I would agree

But it is also a community and all parts of this community is important because we are for the most part Redskins fans. It should not matter if some grow tired of the Stadium.

Also if it was just formed for talk of Redskins football the why does post count in ATN section. Seems same logic should follow there.

I am for the post counting but if they don't it will not change how much or when I post

Posts that are far more useless occur far more often in other parts of this forum, especially the stadium. I don't think we really had post "abuse" before the posts in the stadium stopped counting...we still have the forum games on here, a few stupid threads where people spam crap.

I don't know why people care so much about post counts...like the bigger it gets, the larger your e-penis is. Sure I like being able to quickly distinguish between the posts of people who have been here a while and have the good avatars vs. some guy who has the water boy avatar and is talking about trading Jason Campbell for Ed Reed or something crazy like that, but people place undue amounts of respect or importance on people who have been here posting longer than others... I never understood people's need to get a huge post count, but I guess if you don't get one some people might not take you seriously around here...

Whatever. I say make the posts here count but change the forums so nobody's post count is displayed and they have have one of a certain tier of avatar, then again my opinion is probably unpopular.

I think Die Hard's original intent was to encourage posting - period. Funny thing is, its been wildly successful. People love the avatars, and want to post to get to a higher level - its human nature. Its kind of ironic that some now argue 'people are just posting to get to the next level!'. I think thats what was wanted all along. The creators of the board never said they wanted people to post nonsense to get to the next level, but they definitely wanted people to post energetically.
I'd be interested in hearing Die Hard's opinion on this - now. But I haven't seen him around lately. Does anybody know what the specific story is on that? And be willing to share?

My thinking is - is it necessary at this stage of the evolution of this board to be wildly successful at promoting posting?

And is it possible that some of the members on this board don't know what's good for them? I know that sounds arrogant, but bear with me...

How often do I look at a member's post count? Not often. But when I do, it's almost always when reading a football thread. If I'm reading a football thread, and the poster is making a point about something and he has several thousand posts, I figure he probably knows at least a little about what he's talking about. If he has very few posts, his opinion is suspect.

If the tailgate posts count, then the post count becomes moot regarding football.

That's my point.

On the other hand, I also agree with Tarhog that the members' wishes should be respected, since this is a board for members. So there's the dilemma.

I voted no, and I'm sticking with it. I know I'm in the gross minority here, and so I'm prepared to get slammed. Go ahead.

I'd be interested in hearing Die Hard's opinion on this - now. But I haven't seen him around lately. Does anybody know what the specific story is on that? And be willing to share?

My thinking is - is it necessary at this stage of the evolution of this board to be wildly successful at promoting posting?

And is it possible that some of the members on this board don't know what's good for them? I know that sounds arrogant, but bear with me...

How often do I look at a member's post count? Not often. But when I do, it's almost always when reading a football thread. If I'm reading a football thread, and the poster is making a point about something and he has several thousand posts, I figure he probably knows at least a little about what he's talking about. If he has very few posts, his opinion is suspect.

If the tailgate posts count, then the post count becomes moot regarding football.

That's my point.

On the other hand, I also agree with Tarhog that the members' wishes should be respected, since this is a board for members. So there's the dilemma.

I voted no, and I'm sticking with it. I know I'm in the gross minority here, and so I'm prepared to get slammed. Go ahead.

i'm with you!!!1

down with avatars and post counts :cheers:

IMO post counts and avatars are for noobs - get over it

Or a tailgate post could just count for 3/5ths of a post. I hear that kind of compromise has worked well in the past.
:laugh: Yeah, that's the ticket.

What do you say guys? Deal or no deal.

If the leaders of our country thought it was great, why should we be any different? ;)

*This was my 119.6th post.

Interesting thing about post counts, the ones that 'don't matter' - have you noticed that there are all kinds of assumptions being stated here about what might happen in the Tailgate forum if we started counting posts. Those statements are almost universally coming from guys who've been here a very short time, and don't know that we used to count Tailgate posts with no ill effects of any kind (in fact, like in the Stadium, quality of threads there has probably diminished as we've gotten larger). The moderation of the forums has nothing to do with whether posts count - thats irrelevant. I think keeping track of post counts and join dates is helpful in putting the member's comments in perspective, but maybe thats just me.

That's my point.

One slam coming up. First off this whole post is an excesize in poorly disguised mod brown nosing, which isn't unusual for you :silly:. Second, judging

someone's football knowledge by how many posts (in the stadium) that they have is utter nonesense. Third, you don't post in the tailgate much so why do you care, and what weight should your comments have?

I'm also not crazy about the idea that someone could theoretically achieve (if that's the proper word) a "Ring of Fame" avatar featuring a Redskins great like Art Monk, John Riggins, or Sonny Jurgensen, without ever making one single football-related comment on the board.

One thing I notice in this thread is that a lot of those who are advocating for counting tailgate posts, are saying things like, "I voted yes because I want a better avatar," or "I want a Darrell Green avatar," instead of discussing the actual issue. Who wouldn't want a better avatar? But that's not a reason to change a rule.

I will respond, because I was the one who wanted a Darrell Green avatar. While this may seem like a shallow reason to reinstate post counts, you must realize my personal reasoning behind it.

I am a diehard Redskins fan. I am a bigger fan than many of the people that post in the Stadium...you can believe me or not, I know I am. Just because I choose to post here does not mean I like or root for the Redskins any less than the people over there. I have met other Redskins fans through this site that I consider good friends, and I have met them through the tailgate. In 2005 I bought tickets to every home game from someone I met on the site, and I didn't go into the Stadium once.

I understand your notion that people not participating in Redskins discussions should not receive Ring of Fame avatars. But this is a fan board. The people in the Tailgate are no less fans than those in the Stadium, and some of these people in here are bigger fans. What about other teams' fans that post in the Stadium? Does Tom_The_Giants_Fan deserve a Darrell Green avatar because he posts there, even though he is not a Redskins fan? (No disrespect, Tom, and congrats to your Giants). Also, my post counts went up when I posted in Around the NFL during the playoffs. I was talking about the Chargers....so, theoretically, people who spend all their time in there talking about another team can have their post counts go up. I'm not sure if post counts go up in the baseball threads, I'll hang out more there when the season starts.

What I'm trying to say is, yes, the argument that I want a D.Green avatar sounds trivial and shallow. But I love Darrell Green. He has been my favorite player for over a decade (more than half my life). I want the avatar to show my love and respect for him, and I think posting in the tailgate (where HUGE Redskins FANS congregate) should be worth something. There are many ways to show your support for a team. Just because I'm not sitting here poring over the craziness that is the Stadium on a day to day basis does not mean I (or any other fan that posts in here) cares about the Skins any less.

ES is a fan site, and there are many ways to show allegiance.

I really do not care about post counts at all. I mean, yea, I would like to get into the Hall of Fame so I can choose a cool avatar, but it's not that big of a deal to me...and actually, I think the avatars should go by the length of time you have been a member of the community. If you are a noob, then you get a rookie avatar...if you've been around for a few years then maybe you choose from a selection of veteran avatars....work your way up to a Darrell Green by sticking around and being part of the community over an extended period of time.

I'm always amazed when I venture over to the Stadium (on days when I am feeling brave :) ), and I see a post from someone I never heard of before...then notice he has 8,000 posts. And I think "how the hell have I missed 8,000 posts from this guy?"

Now, back to the post count decision...when the decision was made I was against it. If it was decided that post counts would be eliminated across the board, then that would have been fine with me. But it seemed to me at the time as if the Tailgate was being singled out. I seem to recall at the time it was said that Tailgate posts were fluff (lots of short replies that added nothing to a topic like "I agree." or smiley faces and that's it). That was one of the reasons for dis-counting Tailgate posts. Well, this place at it's worst has never been half as bad as The Stadium is on a regular basis.

Honestly, in my opinion, the Tailgate is what "makes" Extremeskins what it is today (for me anyway). When I first became a member I was simply amazed at the football knowledge of many members on this board (in the pre-merger days). I hung around for a bit and eventually worked up the nerve to join in on the discussions...all the while feeling so inferior. In the process, I got to know more of you through interactions in the Tailgate. That's what built this place into a family for me.

So, that's the long way of saying...yes, tailgate posts should count (or eliminate post counts altogether).

Interesting thing about post counts, the ones that 'don't matter' - have you noticed that there are all kinds of assumptions being stated here about what might happen in the Tailgate forum if we started counting posts. Those statements are almost universally coming from guys who've been here a very short time, and don't know that we used to count Tailgate posts with no ill effects of any kind (in fact, like in the Stadium, quality of threads there has probably diminished as we've gotten larger). The moderation of the forums has nothing to do with whether posts count - thats irrelevant. I think keeping track of post counts and join dates is helpful in putting the member's comments in perspective, but maybe thats just me.

Why not change your original post to reflect that only certain people's opinions matter. :doh:

Why not change your original post to reflect that only certain people's opinions matter. :doh:

Because we like to make you think the Noobs opinions matter....but....actually they don't.

The intent was to draw you into the thread and wait about 100 posts before we let you in on the secret....Noobs don't matter to us. :)

QFT! :point2sky

But seriously. I understand if that was Die-Hard's initial reasoning behind it. However, do we really need them now? Chances are, if you join, it's because you want to post. I know that I lurked for a few weeks and only joined when I saw a topic that I wanted to reply to.

FWIW, I definately remember scampering REALLY quickly to get to 50 or 100 posts to get rid of those weak avatars. I think people have veered away from posting, just for posting's sake towards posting for a sweet avatar.

So why can't we choose our own again?

Guest ComebackKing

For what it's worth I'll post the same in both sections if they both had post counts or both had no post counts.

When ya got stuff to say, say it.

Archived