Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Poll: Should Tailgate Posts Count??

Tarhog

What do you think of the new site?  

63 members have voted

1. 1. What do you think of the new site?

• Amazing
    • Cool
    • Could be better
    • A letdown

This poll is closed to new votes

A couple of years ago, a staff decision was made to modify the board software so that only Stadium posts would 'count' in a member's total post count history. The intent was to encourage posting in the Stadium, in recognition that this was, first and foremost, a Redskin's fan forum. Whether or not that decision accomplished anything or not, I don't know. But I do know the decision was widely unpopular among a lot of members, and I've wondered why, in light of that, we've insisted on keeping that in place despite the knowledge that the vast majority of members would prefer that Tailgate posts 'count'.

So, for the record, I'd like to know what the membership consensus is on the subject.

Should Tailgate posts 'count'?

I never understood why anyone cares?

I know I am in the minority, but I don't understand the obsession with Post counts.

The guy who posts 1000's "I agree" and "That's not true" has less value then the guy who posts a really good point only once every 2 months.

Is there a way to have members with "over" a certain amount of post count in the Tailgate?

Like if you already have 2k posts, they'll count here.

If there was, I would be in favor, but I'de rather keep the riff raff out of here and leave the conversations to the already semi childish levels they are now.

I never understood why anyone cares?

I know I am in the minority, but I don't understand the obsession with Post counts.

The guy who posts 1000's "I agree" and "That's not true" has less value then the guy who posts a really good point only once every 2 months.

I'm asking who DOES care, and who DOESN'T. I don't care about my post count either personally - I just wonder if there's a significant majority of people that would prefer they count, and if so, why not go back to the original status where all posts contribute to overall post count? In other words, give members what they want.

The only thing that posts show me is that you have a cool little picture up as an avatar.

During the off-season I rarely go over to the stadium. Too many people in there think too much of their "knowledge" and it just turns into a name calling free agency thread explosion. There are people in the tailgate that are actually social and I have become really cool with. I wouldnt have met the people and made the connections for Canton if it wasnt for the 'gate.

So honestly, they can take my post count away totally and it wouldnt bother me. I just want a picture of Sean Taylor or John Riggins as an avatar..

Is there a way to have members with "over" a certain amount of post count in the Tailgate?

Like if you already have 2k posts, they'll count here.

If there was, I would be in favor, but I'de rather keep the riff raff out of here and leave the conversations to the already semi childish levels they are now.

What does one thing have to do with another Koolblue? I'm not sure I understand what 'making Tailgate posts count' and how many people post in Tailgate or the quality of those posts have to do with one another. Thats been the question I've had all along.... People who enjoy the Tailgate are going to post there - period. Why not acknowledge those posts if thats something the membership overall wants - thats what I'm trying to find out here - how many people would prefer the original approach.

Yes.

People that don't care about post count will post just the same. As I've seen happen.

People that do care about post count will see that large contingent of the board follows the old mantra of the stadium, ie "read more post less", while gettting to know fellow skins fans in areas outside of football where inane posts are the rule. They might learn some good habits were they to spend some time here. Then again some of the treads I've seen here blow that theory out the water. :P

I vote no. What happens in the tailgate stays in the tailgate.

Even when you post in the tailgate, the count never shows up, so it's like you were never there, and you can deny everything...in theory anyway, and if some reason you ever had too, don't know when that might be though. I'm starting to ramble aren't I? See this is why my posts shouldn't count...LOL

The only thing I like about post counts is being able to change your avatar. If they just had a list of avatars everyone could choose from they could drop post count for all I care. But that being said, I voted for them to count, cause I want a new avatar.

I've always been in belief that post should count in the tailgate as well. Considering many many posts in the stadium also are nothing more than "I agree" "WTF smiley" and so forth. It's just a cool way to measure I think how active you are period, it's not a guage of quality of posts because whats a quality post to one is not to another. there's my ramble for now.

I voted yes just because I think post count in general isn't really important, so I feel giving posts in one forum a value and not in another makes post count seem more important than it really is. In other words, I think it encourages more nonsensical posting in the stadium as opposed to less in the tailgate.

I've always been in belief that post should count in the tailgate as well. Considering many many posts in the stadium also are nothing more than "I agree" "WTF smiley" and so forth. It's just a cool way to measure I think how active you are period, it's not a guage of quality of posts because whats a quality post to one is not to another. there's my ramble for now.

I agree totally with this SkinsOrlando.

I for one mostly stay out of the stadium, because it tends to get into a real pissing contest and also by the time you want to post something, it's already been posted about 20 times over. The fact that a post of: "Coooooolllleeeeyyyyy" can count in the stadium and a rather intellectual post do not count when posted in the tailgate has kind of bothered me.

There are some really interesting topics thatare discussed in the tailgate. It's just to bad the past week or so it has turned into "Top Ten" and "Rate my Hotness" threads :laugh:

So I voted yes, most definitely.

I voted yes just because I think post count in general isn't really important, so I feel giving posts in one forum a value and not in another makes post count seem more important than it really is. In other words, I think it encourages more nonsensical posting in the stadium as opposed to less in the tailgate.

Interesting take - thats quite possibly true - in other words, the current setup might encourage more Stadium posting, but not of the kind desired?

I think all posts should count, period.

People post so much irrelevant BS, because they want the better avatars, not because the count matters.

I think a good solution would be to make all posts count, and allow members to be able to choose their avatars just like staff can. I believe doing both would solve any problems and stop all ****ing.

I voted no. Apparently, I'm in the minority.

While we're on the subject, I might support some kind of minimum post size to be counted. So

"hahahahahha" would not count as a post. But a longer (implying quality) post would count, regardless of what forum it was in.

Completely agree with this, and I voted no. It's too bad there isn't some software that could filter out all the "LMAO:laugh: " and "QFT" and "In before close" posts and everything else that doesn't contribute, and not count those. Then count everything that's actually meaningful, regardless of what forum it's in.

Of course, this would slice my post count in half. Not because I do any of that QFT crap, but most of my recent posts have been trash talk in the fantasy football thread, which is basically meaningless. However, like many have already said, I don't care what my count is. I do believe there are folks in these forums who just drop two word answers in various threads for the sole purpose of inflating their counts, and I wish that would stop.

Actually, I have an idea. If there some way to scan for "In before close" and stuff like that, and then automatically drop that persons post count down by 500 or so? We'd have a ton more cheerleaders around here. I like that idea best.:D

What does one thing have to do with another Koolblue? I'm not sure I understand what 'making Tailgate posts count' and how many people post in Tailgate or the quality of those posts have to do with one another. Thats been the question I've had all along.... People who enjoy the Tailgate are going to post there - period. Why not acknowledge those posts if thats something the membership overall wants - thats what I'm trying to find out here - how many people would prefer the original approach.

Well, it seems that people who do post here, will continue regardless. I think not having the posts count would deter some people, who would otherwise not post here or have an interest in some of the things we talk about, stay away.

I guess what i'm saying is the Stadium gets down right rediculous at times and I would hate to see that happen over here. I somehow think counting our posts might change that.

The threads from Noobs asking when avitars change or asking clearly answered in the rules questions get on my nerves and I like that seem to be confined to the Stadium.

Personally, I enjoy having my posts count, but it has zero influence on when and where I post.

I think having a higher post count does give you a bit more validity when you post in the Stadium. I read things from some members and then look at who said it and their posts count. I tend to agree with some of the Vet posters and if I see something I disagree with, I look.

It might be the wrong thing to do, but judging on how my own personal perspective has changed after conversing with the members(and usually the Vets) it does seem to be relivent.

The idea that you could implement software to determine 'quality' posts seems silly to me. The tradition here has always been, you make quality posts and you get positive feedback and encouragement, post silly, inane, non-contributing posts, and you get other kinds of feedback and discouragement. Thats the way the world is, and its the way the board is.

The sole thing I'm trying to find out here is do the majority of members think all posts should count in total post count (why they feel that way isn't important to me). If so, I would argue that since the site is here solely for its members, it should revert back to the previous policy if its clear thats whats desired.

You only have 81 posts??? NOOB! :silly:

ohhhhhhhhh called out by "old faithful" aka "Absinthe NOOB" :laugh: :silly:

And I guess based on my post count now and the fact that I joined in 2005 might suggest that the original intent of the mods and staffers of ES was never accomplished, and again that of course was to persuade people to post more in the stadium. I believe I've posted maybe 20 or less posted in there in the 3 years of being a member....... I like my tailgate crew:cheers:

Archived