Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Poll: Should Tailgate Posts Count??

Tarhog

What do you think of the new site?  

63 members have voted

1. 1. What do you think of the new site?

• Amazing
    • Cool
    • Could be better
    • A letdown

This poll is closed to new votes

To be honest, I'm of the I don't care category. Never have. And a search of my posting history will tell folks that. If anyone wants to bring up my post count now, don't bother. I have no idea of how many there are and you can have them. It simply isn't that important and I have no idea of how adults can get so caught up in something as trivial as something like this.

That said, I do agree with what Tarhog has stated about the membership at large. I admit that I'm probably in the minority when it comes to the post count thing and if the majority of the membership wants posts in the Tailgate to count, then so be it. We are here for the membership, not the other way around.

Also, let's get this taken care of right now. Tailgate is every bit as loony as the Stadium, it's just a matter of volume. Always has been and probably always will be.

One man's trash is another one's treasure. If I put myself out there and make a bold statement and someone comes behind me and just posts the hands clapping or "QFT" that is positive and helping add to the conversation in my opinion by reaffirming.

I dont believe we need "quality post police" to determine whether what I said counts as good enough or not. It seems like that will just put a big wedge between poster and MOD and that will not be pretty.

edit: I just figured out my posts in the 'gate havent been counting. thats too funny!! :laugh: And PCS is right, we are as looney as the stadium.

I voted yes,if the posts in other parts of the forum are counted, the tailgate should as well.

Not that I really care, either way I will post where I'm interested in the discussions..

Interesting take - thats quite possibly true - in other words, the current setup might encourage more Stadium posting, but not of the kind desired?

Well I think that's the case. Think about the game threads. People pad their count in the stadium and only the stadium so you've essentially watered down the stadium and talk regarding this site's mission.

Well I think that's the case. Think about the game threads. People pad their count in the stadium and only the stadium so you've essentially watered down the stadium and talk regarding this site's mission.
True, but in threads like the Dem debate one the other night, we had posts like Damn, she owned him on that.

There are comments made everywhere that aren't important.

Would people be more inclined to post in threads like "what are you listening to right now"? Who cares.

I actually kind of find it a little funny, that as it gets later in the day that the poll results have changed dramatically. I think the majority of the people that would vote yes have just climbed out of bed or will not be on ES until Monday sometime due to partying and to be honest, ES, at least in the tailgate, slows down DRAMATICALLY during the weekend.

since the mods are asking for the opinion of us on forum rules...i say ask us if we think we should get $500 when we say dallas sucks :) but seriously i think if this gets approved a guideline should be that you should get NNT'ed if you start threads to get more posts out of nowhere.

I've always been in belief that post should count in the tailgate as well. Considering many many posts in the stadium also are nothing more than "I agree" "WTF smiley" and so forth. It's just a cool way to measure I think how active you are period, it's not a guage of quality of posts because whats a quality post to one is not to another. there's my ramble for now.

I agree. :wtf:

I essentially never post in the Stadium any more and hardly ever go over there. If there is any chance it would increase the number of idiots posting in the Tailgate, then I say don't let them count.

Tailgate posts used to count the same as posts anywhere else. The quality of the average Tailgate post at that time far surpassed whats posted there these days. So I don't think there's any basis for that idea.

I essentially never post in the Stadium any more and hardly ever go over there. If there is any chance it would increase the number of idiots posting in the Tailgate, then I say don't let them count.

I agree with that,but has the lack of post count improved quality of posts in the tailgate?....not that I saw(but I'm sure the quality of posts in the tailgate are not the #1 priority of the board)

added

tarhog, nailed it.

Tailgate posts used to count the same as posts anywhere else. The quality of the average Tailgate post at that time far surpassed whats posted there these days. So I don't think there's any basis for that idea.

Agreed. And might I add there are folks who post primarily in The Stadium who feel the same way about The Tailgate as those who do so here about The Stadium. :rubeyes: Or something like that.

Here's another point:

Place this same poll in the Stadium. I think there's a decent chance the results will be dramatically different than what we're seeing here.

The point is Mark, the whole idea of the change was to encourage Stadium posts and to make that forum the focal point of the board. The truth is, people are going to post where they want to post (as your point implies) - some post equally in both forums, some primarily in the Stadium, many primarily in the Tailgate. Some may even post exclusively in one area only.

Given that pretty obvious fact, limiting post count to one forum has zero impact on whether someone posts in the Stadium, or on the quality of posts.

It really hasn't accomplished anything from my vantage point - and if the overall membership prefers the previous approach, thats what should happen.

The only thing I like about post counts is being able to change your avatar. If they just had a list of avatars everyone could choose from they could drop post count for all I care. But that being said, I voted for them to count, cause I want a new avatar.
Seconded.

I think the original reason for post counts was to help folks determine who was an experienced or veteran poster. But as someone noted, they could also have ten thousand posts saying "I agree" or :cheers:.

I think they should count. Or not at all in any forum.

Here's another point:

Place this same poll in the Stadium. I think there's a decent chance the results will be dramatically different than what we're seeing here.

Excellent point. I like having only Stadium posts count.

I would find it strange that someone who only comes to ES to talk about politics and never says a word about the Skins could "rise up through the ranks" on a Redskins board.

I think that posts should count in every section on the board. It would be a good way to reinforce that "Your posts count, so make them good ones." Post padding should be discouraged anyway in every section of the board (unless its a one word response that hits it perfectly).

I also think that posts counting would encourage participation in all sections of the board, which would strengthen the board-community.

It really hasn't accomplished anything from my vantage point - and if the overall membership prefers the previous approach, thats what should happen.

But are you accurately assessing what "the overall membership prefers" when you only post the question in the Tailgate?

For all I know, you might get the same or similar results by posting the question in the Stadium. But if we understand that many people only post in the Stadium, we're not accurately assessing what the overall membership prefers by only posting the question in the Tailgate.

Seconded.

I think the original reason for post counts was to help folks determine who was an experienced or veteran poster. But as someone noted, they could also have ten thousand posts saying "I agree" or :cheers:.

I think they should count. Or not at all in any forum.

I think Die Hard's original intent was to encourage posting - period. Funny thing is, its been wildly successful. People love the avatars, and want to post to get to a higher level - its human nature. Its kind of ironic that some now argue 'people are just posting to get to the next level!'. I think thats what was wanted all along. The creators of the board never said they wanted people to post nonsense to get to the next level, but they definitely wanted people to post energetically.

But are you accurately assessing what "the overall membership prefers" when you only post the question in the Tailgate?

For all I know, you might get the same or similar results by posting the question in the Stadium. But if we understand that many people only post in the Stadium, we're not accurately assessing what the overall membership prefers by posting it only in the Tailgate.

I'm not going to post a non-football thread in the Stadium. If a staff member wants to put one there as well, they can. I'm betting the breakdown will continue to be 3:1 for posts counting equally everywhere, and I think its highly unlikely that'll be drastically different in the Stadium - I think regardless of which forum you post primarily in, most people are inclined to ask 'why would you count posts in one forum but not others? Don't you want to encourage people to post in the Tailgate?'

Archived