Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Poll: Should Tailgate Posts Count??

Tarhog

What do you think of the new site?  

63 members have voted

1. 1. What do you think of the new site?

• Amazing
    • Cool
    • Could be better
    • A letdown

This poll is closed to new votes

Why not change your original post to reflect that only certain people's opinions matter. :doh:

Do you even try to follow the conversation, or do you already have your opinion ready to go, unhampered by what someone's actually said?

Do you know what 'context' means? My only point was that its obviously helpful in some conversations to know how long someone's been here, what their messageboard experience is, whether they know the history of certain conversations.

How you can twist what I'm trying to find out - what board members really want - into something biased, ugly, or restrictive, thats coming from you, not me. I've always tried (within the constraints of my own inner biases) to treat every member with the respect they deserve based on how they behave and post.

All I want is a Sean Taylor avatar.

At least I know that he will ALWAYS be a Redskin.

I have ol' noodly as mine right now.

To me the post count thing is what it is. If you spend anytime on the board you know who's posts to read and whose to stay away from. Some use the ignore function (MSF) and others just staty away from certain posts or posters.

you forgot the who cares option in your poll.

i dont need to have a high post count to feel important, nor do i feel the need to post smilies and other worthless crap in the stadium so that i will be looked at with more respect on this forum.

No I didn't :)

I just applied common sense - that whether or not Tailgate posts counted should be determined by the folks who DO care.

Make sense?

i wasnt deliberatly trying to direct that at you and if it came off that way i apolagize.

I just see no reason in having a post count at all other than to subliminally rank people in the order of there importance and level of respect they should command.

Its obvious that people care because posts are connected to avatar options.

If you didn't have that, then nobody would care.

Me personally, I don't because unless there is another level to reach. I'm maxed out. But, I voted yes because its all connected.

If you let people load their own avatars. I think it would be more enjoyable, and you'd have the same find folks who were making sigs, make avatars.

A ton of #21 tributes, plus tons of other cool stuff.

I don't think they should count. The tailgate is ancillary to the Stadium. A guy who spends 90% of his time in the Tailgate and then goes to the stadium with a large post count is misrepresenting himself to the people wanting to discuss football. This is a site about the Redskins after all.

If one chooses to use a football site to discuss religion and politics instead of football then why should their posts count? The avatars are all football related, so any post count changing that avatar should be of a football related nature.

I think the mods got it right.

i wasnt deliberatly trying to direct that at you and if it came off that way i apolagize.

I just see no reason in having a post count at all other than to subliminally rank people in the order of there importance and level of respect they should command.

I agree with your larger point - if this kind of polling reveals that the majority would much rather get rid of public post counts, and give them the option from day 1 to pick their own avatars, then thats the direction we should go.

I agree with your larger point - if this kind of polling reveals that the majority would much rather get rid of public post counts, and give them to option from day 1 to pick their own avatars, then thats the direction we should go.

You mean from pre-loaded choices, or load their own?

I don't think they should count. The tailgate is ancillary to the Stadium. A guy who spends 90% of his time in the Tailgate and then goes to the stadium with a large post count is misrepresenting himself to the people wanting to discuss football. This is a site about the Redskins after all.

If one chooses to use a football site to discuss religion and politics instead of football then why should their posts count? The avatars are all football related, so any post count changing that avatar should be of a football related nature.

I think the mods got it right.

This is precisely what i was talking about.

How is someone, who is trying to make a point in the stadium misrepresenting themselves because of there inflated post count, unless you are using there post count to determine wether they are posting an intelligent thought instead of just reading what they wrote without misconcieved notions based on there number of posts.

If post counts were so valued. Then wouldn't other rules be in place? Like people under (X) posts not being able to start new threads? If you're trying to up the quality in the stadium. That would be your starting point.

Trolls would need hundreds of quality posts before flaming. Most are too last to wait that long.

This is precisely what i was talking about.

How is someone, who is trying to make a point in the stadium misrepresenting themselves because of there inflated post count, unless you are using there post count to determine wether they are posting an intelligent thought instead of just reading what they wrote without misconcieved notions based on there number of posts.

Did I say anything about intelligence?

On a football board, the only posts that should count towards anything should be football related. Whether it be just for avatars, or whether it be respect from your fellow posters. If a guy with ten thousand posts about football posts in the stadium, I'm gonna give him more respect than somebody who has 100 posts about football until I can get a real handle on the guy's thoughts.

I think that's just normal. You walk into any themed forum, and you will automatically give more recognition to the guy with a big post count. If I walk into a forum about medicine, and I get a response from a guy that has 10,000 posts, I'm automatically gonna assume he's been around a while, and probably knows what he's talking about. Now lets say this guy actually posted in the sports section of that forum expept for the few off instances where he ventured into the main forum. I'd say his post count misrepresents him.

I mean whichever version of choices the membership wanted. Why not give the members what they want? Seems pretty simple to me.

Your next poll should be.

Would you rather have........

a bunch of choices for your avatar

or

the ability to load your own (within our guidelines to avatar size and nothing ummmmmm, rude"

Mark-The-Homer,

Since you asked... here is my take.

When I originally created the website.... I wanted to stimulate conversation. You have to have to have a "draw" to get people to come to the website and post (besides seeding the forums). At the time, the current avatar system was completely unique and unheard of on the internet. I take great pride in that fact :)

With that being said... naively, I never thought that the forum would be over-run (by the moderating staff) by members - particularly young kids of the video-game generation that are more pre-occupied with titles, recognition, level-advancement and accomplishment..... RATHER than simply discussing Redskins football.

Am I coming down on the mods? Sure. That's perhaps the main reason why I left. Because I had hard-line fundamental principles I wasn't willing to compromise... and I was willing to take difficult, drastic measure if need be, to preserve the integrity of my principles. And this is where I began to "clash" with most, if not all, of the rest of the staff about my judgment and methods.

And I was reminded that ExtremeSkins was "bigger than me"... and that all of a sudden, the guy who's vision/finances/blood/sweat/tears (try approximately 40-60 hours a week IN ADDITION to a full-time job and wife) were poured into this website for the past 5 years.... knew LESS about what it took to build/maintain a successful website than a few people who contributed no more than a few hours total each week of open/closing/merging threads -- of which I logged more hours moderating than almost all of them combined (except TK :) ).

Blade, myself and Tarhog were the guys working around the clocking doing the crappy work (like designing t-shirts, putting money up front, taking orders and shipping hundreds of items, trading game DVDs... hundreds at a time, shipping them back and forth, etc. etc). And TK puts in a crapload of time with moderating... and I respect him for that. And if you want to give credit for ES merging with the Redskins... you can thank Art for that :) For the record, I was the only ES staff member opposed to it... but I relented because I was outvoted 7-1.

But hey, I wasn't in the spotlight and featured as a prominent staff member among the public's spotlight (as a normal moderator who would get public recognition among the membership).... because I was too busy in the background building the friggin website from the ground up... doing all the tedious and mundane work (coding, graphics, data entry, research and development, beta-testing, hiring/firing programmers, etc). So obviously I didn't have a pulse on the community :rolleyes:

That's why I left the staff.... and let them decide the direction of the site since the merger. I wasn't posting most recently because I was banned.... by a former ES member which I have utterly no respect for as a human being. It's personal :)

A few things you have to recognize:

1. A lot of the ideas provided by members are great. However, what MOST never consider is that.... these types of modifications to the software are simply NOT possible from a programmer's perspective.

A lot of "hacks" are buggy to begin with (because the code for them aren't written by the original programmers).... and they cannot co-exist with other new functions or the whole software will be completely unusable and buggy.

It's not a matter of snapping your fingers... it's a matter of logistics. You can't just add 100 new functions to an existing software (again, written by programmers.. most of them sloppy to begin with).... with bogging down the software and causing problems in other areas (or bugs).

Some functions, given the way the code is already written.... simply can't be added.

(2) Good luck finding someone who wants to take on the project (software built by a company). Programmers have their own way of writing code. They have to spend time reading through all the code and familiarizing themselves with it to understand how it is written and how they would manipulate/edit it... to add new functionality. They HATE that.

Not to mention... how do you know you've even found a programmer that is a good programmer that can write efficient code without bugs?!?! :) Impossible... and they all lie about the abilities... they promise they can deliver and then every day they say it can't be done unless you make a concession here and there (until it doesn't even resemble what you originally ask for). And worst of all... I haven't met a programmer that can meet a deadline.

#3. Part of the problem with the Redskins is this. ES doesn't have the ability now to even access the code any more. They have to go through the Redskins IT staff -- the team was rightly worried about letting a few strangers (ES staff) access to Redskins.com servers :)

Their staff doesn't have a priority to help program and build ES.com. As long as it's online and functional... they've met their objective. It isn't about building it. And even if ES staff wanted to hire somebody to do it (and pay for it out of their own pockets)... the team isn't going to let these strangers have access to the servers to perform these upgrades.

#4. You ask me.... and right now, there's the functionality already within the software to do this. Go by the "rating" system.... were avatars are assigned by how members rate each other. That's how you eliminate these "kids" posting non-sense. They'll be judged by their peers.

People can argue cliques can help rate each other higher.... and I'd argue that wouldn't be the case with so many people having the option to vote and rank members.

But that's just my opinion... and what do I know?! :)

FTR, I love Blade and Tarhog like brothers. I respect Art/TK for what they do and offer... but we generally disagree on most things :) Most of the rest of the mod staff are good people... but in my opinion... never lived up to my expectations (a lot of it was availability... but not sure why).

Archived