Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

DIY Home Improvement Thread..

PleaseBlitz

Starting my patio and barshed today. I'll try to post pics as I go.

Patio is roughly 15 x 18 with a firepit and fridge/bar area.

Shed will be at the end of it and will have bar, 4 stools, small love seat, tv, and of course the bar.

• Like 1

There are two ways to do things. Right, or again

Or as my dad said. "Do it the right way the first time or don't do it at all." 

Yeah definitely post pics.  Duckus I think the nook looks great!

Agreed. Look forward to seeing this. And yeah Duckus,I forgot to add earlier that's an excellent use of space as well. :)

The longer I live in my home (3 years now), the more certain I am that I will punch the previous owner. Just a lot of lazy half-assed work done in the house. 

Sloppy painting along the trim is forgivable. Dumb stuff like shorting the hardwood floors under kitchen cabinets so you can see sub floor. Poor measuring of various pieces so they come up laughably short—stuff that I just missed during the walk through (either because of the having so much to look at and inexperience). 

Today's debacle was replacing a deadbolt. The guy chiseled back the wood behind the faceplate instead of just resetting the adjustable backset length of the latch. 

Just maddening little **** that even my novice DIYer ass knows to do better. 

• Like 2

Oh man do I feel for you, I keep finding things that make me wonder what drugs exist to make some one do the **** I've had to deal with. I tell friends about the gutters glued up w/ LiquidNails, and done so that the inside corner was the low point of the run and everything funnelled down the wall- if you'll do that then anything's possible.

But you have to let it go EL, it will consume you. I took pictures of the insanity here and some people still can't believe it, I had to move on or accept that there were  ulcers in my future.

daveakl, mattock and rototiller, there's just no easy answer.

• Like 1

Alright folks.  I have one that's been bothering me for a while...

Two winters ago, one of my pipes froze and broke, started leaking water into my house.  I had the water shut off but there must have been some water remaining in the pipe when i tried to clear it before the hard freeze.  I believe that it is broken right at the spigot.  The problem is the location of the spigot.  On the outside, the heat pump is in the way and on the inside the wood stove is in the way.  For this reason, I haven't done anything with it yet.

Any ideas?  Pictures incoming...

Outside

18074391666_5e808eeb70_z.jpg

17914660169_9946e7512c_z.jpg

Inside, directly adjacent to the spigot.

18097455712_139d290d8e_z.jpg

17914660149_3522521304_z.jpg

Now on the inside, that isn't real brick obviously.  It's some sort of particle board or dressing of some sort.  I cut out a section of dry wall above the fire place and there was no pipe, so it must be behind that fireplace area.  The problem is that I don't want to destroy that brick stuff if I don't have to because I would think I'll be able to find a suitable or matching replacement.

Any ideas on how to fix this cluster****???

I have an electrical issue.

I have a circuit breaker that trips overtime the switch is set to off. The breaker can't be reset either. 

I looked up some troubleshooting... Change lights, check fixture connections. Anybody have any advice?

My wife wants my wish list for Father's day. I need a new drill. Some of you guys have been talking up impact drivers is that correct?

Since we have a battery pack for Ryobi tools, I'd probably ask her to stick to that. 

Thoughts? And it's an impact driver and not a hammer drill, right?

correct, impact driver.  it's a  power ratcheting screw driver, basically.  they're great. 

to be clear, if you need  a new drill that you plan on using to drill holes...you don't want in impact driver.

Edited by Major Harris

My wife wants my wish list for Father's day. I need a new drill. Some of you guys have been talking up impact drivers is that correct?

Since we have a battery pack for Ryobi tools, I'd probably ask her to stick to that.

Thoughts? And it's an impact driver and not a hammer drill, right?

You won't be happy with a Ryobi

Buy a two piece combo. Drill and impact

i use porter cable.  made by dewalt / black and decker, sold at lowe's.

some jackass gave me a set.  it's great.

Is there a significant difference in quality between those three brands?  (Speaking in general here.)

Anyone ever have problems with the release/drain valve on their water heaters?

We have hard water at our house so we get a lot of calcium (or whatever) build up to the point where it sounds like rocks banging on the inside of the water heater after you've run the water for awhile. 

So I usually hook up a garden hose to the release valve and drain it as much as I can, once or twice a year. 

Here's the problem. I think I have stripped/damaged the valve as it won't completely shut (very very very infrequent drip but annoying nonetheless).

Any ideas on what to do? Do I need to replace the valve? It's an old water heater..so I'm thinking maybe it might be time to upgrade anyways..but still. 

Is there a significant difference in quality between those three brands?  (Speaking in general here.)

yes.

dewalt would be for contractors / builders that use their tools heavily.

porter cable is light industrial.

black and decker is light duty.

zoony may correct me here.

for the average DIY'er, Porter Cable is plenty tough.

• Like 2