Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

DIY Home Improvement Thread..

PleaseBlitz

You sure you didn't just take a piss against the wall after drinking last night?

I can see why you would think that considering how high the stream had to have been. 

Good thing it wasn't a few feet to the right where the bookshelf is.  

Good luck, man.  We had water come into our (mostly finished) basement a few years ago.  Managed to catch it as it was happening and wet vac it up before it hit anything important.  Thankfully it entered on the side of the laundry room, not the Skins cave.  We considered options and paid pros to come out and take care of it, and it's been solid for several years running now, knock on wood.

What kind of pro did you call? I'm not even sure who to call at this point to come take a look.

Moving/extending the spout is a definite like others say. For anyone else, and hopefully not you, I had this issue in my basement also and all I needed was new gutters. The gutters I had looked fine to me but water was actually getting between them and the fascia and coming straight down. I would go out in storms and look, but I could never really see it. I was getting quotes from foundation people and basement waterproofing contractors, and about to spend a ton of money on that. One day I saw a couple leaves stuck between the fascia and back of the gutter and thought that's kind of odd. Decided to replace the gutters first and the problem never happened again. Saved myself 10+ grand by just getting new gutters.

Edit: Guess I should have mentioned  I got fancy modern gutters w/ caps. The old standard ones that were there and had been doing their job fine and just stopped doing that one day. It was kind of a needed upgrade that I had been thinking about anyway. Very high steep roof, very not into ladders for gutter cleaning at that height.

Edited by SoulSkin

We used a company that specifically does basement waterproofing.  Our issue looked worse than yours though, and wasn't related to the downspout location.  During Sandy we had water visibly dribbling in through several cracks in the wall.

I can see why you would think that considering how high the stream had to have been.

My judgement was based off the 2.5 pound plates on your bar there. I estimated the top of the waterline to be 30.4 inches off the ground. I stand by my reasoning and statement.

• Like 1

So, bees in the siding.  Just found out.

Where my heat pump line goes through the siding the sealant is torn away from the siding so the bees can get in and out.  Saw many going in and out this evening.  I also saw one in my laundry room (where the interior heat exchange unit is) about a week ago but thought nothing of it until today.

Questions.

Do they have easy access to the interior of my house at this point?

How difficult is it to remove the nest since I can't see exactly where it is in order to spray it?

Exterior photos:

18848919358_847587ba1f_z.jpg

18848854080_37a15e8777_z.jpg

Interior photos showing heat exchange and void above heat exchange:

19031040172_c10c651512_z.jpg

19031040222_30b696338f_z.jpg

Moving/extending the spout is a definite like others say. For anyone else, and hopefully not you, I had this issue in my basement also and all I needed was new gutters. The gutters I had looked fine to me but water was actually getting between them and the fascia and coming straight down. I would go out in storms and look, but I could never really see it. I was getting quotes from foundation people and basement waterproofing contractors, and about to spend a ton of money on that. One day I saw a couple leaves stuck between the fascia and back of the gutter and thought that's kind of odd. Decided to replace the gutters first and the problem never happened again. Saved myself 10+ grand by just getting new gutters.

Edit: Guess I should have mentioned  I got fancy modern gutters w/ caps. The old standard ones that were there and had been doing their job fine and just stopped doing that one day. It was kind of a needed upgrade that I had been thinking about anyway. Very high steep roof, very not into ladders for gutter cleaning at that height.

It's always the flow of water

Water cannot be stopped by any wall, period. Not over time. Even a pool liner needs to be replaced every 7 years

Fix the flow of water from above, basement will dry out

• Like 1

My judgement was based off the 2.5 pound plates on your bar there. I estimated the top of the waterline to be 30.4 inches off the ground. I stand by my reasoning and statement.

(sharp enough to notice random sports equip stored in basement, yet can't count cinderblocks)

• Like 1

Holy **** Spring. That's a hack job there for that thing. My guess from the pics is that the next probably isn't too far away from that hole,but they also look like they have access to the rest of the house via that void somehow. May want to call an exterminator for this one. If you try it yourself,spray the **** out of the inside of that hole and do so at sunset or in the morning when the bees,(doesn't look like the king sized hornets we have here btw),are dormant. Be prepared to run like the wind though. I'd be hesitant to do that because the nest could be inside some more and the little ...... may migrate in a hurry. Whatever you do there,when done,you need to fill around that hole in the wall. That's a wide open invitation for all kinds of critters to make themselves at home. Use some foam sealer. After all that,go find who did that installation and punch them in the head. 

Yah agreed with PCS not the greatest install I've seen

HVAC is one of those disciplines where the install is worth 90%. The equipment almost doesn't matter

Companies with a good name brand like Trane are so good mostly because they are very particular about which installers can buy them.

That said, you could buy the cheapest Goodman unit on the market and if it is installed correctly it will outlast any trane/Lenox that isn't.

I have. Mixed reviews. I don't live in a densely populated urban area, so the number of providers is limited on Angie's list for me. 

I had a few come out to give me a quote on a retaining wall and their price was at the high end of the spectrum.