Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

DIY Home Improvement Thread..

PleaseBlitz

Are they painted now or stained?

If stained, I would take the doors off, sand, and restain them. The area around the doors should be fairly easy to clean once the doors are off and at worst can be refaced (easy, but time consuming).

They are lightly stained now. The only reason I was talking about painting them was because I want to either keep them as light as they are (light brown wood color) or even lighter - white/offwhite since the kitchen is getting painted gray/tan color (revere pewter).

Bedazzle them. Cheapest option by far.

You're getting me confused with Predicto.

They are lightly stained now. The only reason I was talking about painting them was because I want to either keep them as light as they are (light brown wood color) or even lighter - white/offwhite since the kitchen is getting painted gray/tan color (revere pewter).

If you are going with that color, I would think you would want to have a dark stain like here:

20130805-KLH_8022-1024x682.jpg

You're getting me confused with Predicto.

I've had pretty good success with Homer Formby products to remove wood finish. The odor didn't force me to do the work in the garage/outside. But it does make kind of a mess depending on the layers of finish being removed. Best part is it reduces the amount of sanding (almost completely). 

If you are going with that color, I would think you would want to have a dark stain like here:

It's odd because the color on the walls look more gray but they also look tan in some light (and pics). I'm sure either dark stain or light paint will work. I just need something done for cheap(ish) to sell the house. The current state of the cabinets (and there aren't a lot of them, thank god) leaves something to be desired.

I've had pretty good success with Homer Formby products to remove wood finish. The odor didn't force me to do the work in the garage/outside. But it does make kind of a mess depending on the layers of finish being removed. Best part is it reduces the amount of sanding (almost completely). 

Thanks for the info. I'll look into it. I was planning on using an orbital sander in the 200 grit range of sandpaper to rough up the cabinets once I take the doors and hardware off. Maybe this will work better or easier?

Thanks for the info. I'll look into it. I was planning on using an orbital sander in the 200 grit range of sandpaper to rough up the cabinets once I take the doors and hardware off. Maybe this will work better or easier?

I think it's much easier. Sanding (at least for me) can leave uneven surfaces when removing the finish on wood. Plus the dust mess & constant wiping with a tack rag to make sure I got every spot is painful. 

Try this stuff (or something similar) - their suggestion to use plastic scraper is sound advice to prevent gouging. Plus, use steel wool to get into any details on the doors if necessary: 

https://www.formbys.com/products/paint_poly_remover/

• 3 weeks later...

I used that when I was refinishing the cabinets in my old condo. Goopy mess,but it did okay but still had to sand. Which I expected. 

We had to rewire some things to accommodate the increased size of the closet and the sliding door. Start opening up outlets and switches,and of course several things were either sloppily done,out of code,or flat out illegal. Sigh. The outlet that was in the middle front wall of the closet acted as a junction box. Main power came down from the attic and down to the outlet. From there, one line went down to the crawl space to power the lights there. 3 lines went back up. 1 line went to the switch for the light in the closet. 2 went back up into the attic. 1 to power the master bedroom and 1 to power the other 2 bedrooms. Crammed all of that into 12 cu in single gang box.  Needless to say,I dumped that. I junctioned everything in the attic and that cleaned things up nicely I think. Wife changed the outlets in the room and we're now up to code there. Drywall up and I'm on what is hopefully the last day of joint compound duty.  While I actually enjoy the remodeling,it's getting to the point where I almost dread what I'm going to find when I open a wall up.

We've decided that several parts of the house will have the drywall completely removed so we can see what's going on. There's evidence of patchwork in several spots and we need to see what folks before us may have screwed up. Including the knuckleheads who built the place. I went down into the crawl space and investigated heavily what they did there. One reason why the floors are uneven in some spots has nothing to do with settling. They were built that way. 1979 string lines and levels. Oh and beers.  :rolleyes:

• Like 2

I installed a storm door on my deck over the weekend. Nothing crazy, just a hide-a-screen full view. Ordered it to size, and put it up. The rain flashing was the biggest pain in the ass. I am going to get some clear outdoor caulk and seal it all the way around this weekend.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Spring season, lots of rain, I see a good opportunity to work on my lawn now.  Here's the problem-  last summer was brutally dry, so much of my grass in the dryer areas was taken over by small weeds (mostly chickweed).  I've done the spring anti-weed fertilizer treatment, and i've also sprayed the lawn with the anti weed stuff.

My goal here is to replace some of these areas with actual grass.  I've done a decent job in my front fixing the patches.  Back is different.  The weeds are done, but if I don't get grass there I feel like in a month they'll be back.  Is sod really the best option here?  I've tried just about everything (ez-seed, top soil with fertizler and grass seed, etc.).  Soil in my area generally sucks (it's actually just sod on top of clay).  Thoughts?

• Like 1

Spring season, lots of rain, I see a good opportunity to work on my lawn now.  Here's the problem-  last summer was brutally dry, so much of my grass in the dryer areas was taken over by small weeds (mostly chickweed).  I've done the spring anti-weed fertilizer treatment, and i've also sprayed the lawn with the anti weed stuff.

My goal here is to replace some of these areas with actual grass.  I've done a decent job in my front fixing the patches.  Back is different.  The weeds are done, but if I don't get grass there I feel like in a month they'll be back.  Is sod really the best option here?  I've tried just about everything (ez-seed, top soil with fertizler and grass seed, etc.).  Soil in my area generally sucks (it's actually just sod on top of clay).  Thoughts?

No, don't waste your money on sod.

It's going to be next to impossible to fix your yard situation this spring, into the hot summer.

Don't spend your money or time on seed, weed and feed, etc.  Cut it and wait for the Fall.

In the fall, lime and aerate your yard and go to a Southern States and get some quality seed.

How many square feet is your yard?

It's going to be next to impossible to fix your yard situation this spring, into the hot summer.

Don't spend your money or time on seed, weed and feed, etc.  Cut it and wait for the Fall.

In the fall, lime and aerate your yard and go to a Southern States and get some quality seed.

i just put about 400 square feet of sod in my yard before the 14 days of rain.  the sod looking amazing down.  Grass seeds suck. 

Late fall is best. It may work out for you with all the rain, but developing a good root bed is hard this time of year.

well putting it down a few weeks ago and then 16 days of rain definitely helped.  plus most of that area is not in direct sunlight either

do you think i should have waited til august to put it in or it will burn by then?

You will be fine as long as you water* religiously (at least every other day). Weed n feed late spring, early fall, and late fall. No aeration this year.

I had sod put down second week of May 2014. It took me a solid 18 months to get seams to disappear, but they did. Then I went and had a patio installed and I am trying to get seed to take in the 4' around the patio.

*water in this case means saturation. Need to soak about 3" deep into the ground under the sod.

Edited by Popeman38

What're you doing?

Have a rectangular room. 11" by 25". Stairs at one of the long ends.

My plan is wire 5 in wall speakers, Polk audio since my budget isn't huge. Install dimmer switches for the existing recessed lighting. Paint ceiling and viewing wall black. Paint other walls a dark blue or red or green (my wife will have input on that color). Have Home Depot contract a carpet installer and install carpet to cover the vinyl floor, dark in color (only thing I won't do myself). 120" or 125" audibly transparent projector screen so the center channel and front left/right speakers can hide behind it. BenQ 3050 projector.

Already have a Yamaha receiver. I'll buy an AV rack for the components to put in the back of the room. Get a couch and a bar height ****tail table to put behind the couch. Some stuff for the walls.

The part I'd like to rehab is about 1000 square feet

Have a rectangular room. 11" by 25". Stairs at one of the long ends.

My plan is wire 5 in wall speakers, Polk audio since my budget isn't huge. Install dimmer switches for the existing recessed lighting. Paint ceiling and viewing wall black. Paint other walls a dark blue or red or green (my wife will have input on that color). Have Home Depot contract a carpet installer and install carpet to cover the vinyl floor, dark in color (only thing I won't do myself). 120" or 125" audibly transparent projector screen so the center channel and front left/right speakers can hide behind it. BenQ 3050 projector.

Already have a Yamaha receiver. I'll buy an AV rack for the components to put in the back of the room. Get a couch and a bar height ****tail table to put behind the couch. Some stuff for the walls.

I built mine out about 6 years ago.  Initially just projected the image against a white wall.  About 3 years ago I made a frame out of brown wood trim, about 120" x 60.  Painted the wall again with some projector paint I bought at lowes, then put up the trim.  Projector sits on a shelf mounted against the back wall.  Thinking about upgrading some things now, just don't have the time.