Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

DIY Home Improvement Thread..

PleaseBlitz

40 minutes ago, twa said:

Need to completely remodel two bathrooms, trying to decide if a contractor is worse than doing it myself. 

Did then 30 years ago, they shoulda outlasted me .

I just demod a tile floor, then took down the old thinset and installed a new tile floor.  **** that, i was sore for an entire week.  Something about working in that position straight up sucks for your legs, knees, and back.  Rest of it was relatively easy, fixtures and toilets and vanities.  Maybe pay someone to do thee floor and do the rest yourself

On the other hand, good luck finding a contractor who does quality work.  Im just about convinced they do not exist

• 1 month later...

Small leak detected. Don't want it to grow into a big leak. Right now it's just drops. But these pictures show evidence of a leak going through the subfloor? Above this pipe, I believe is the commode—not sure if it's directly that or it's the general pipe that goes to sewage from the upstairs. Course of action? Is my diagnosis correct? Next step is to drain and remove the toilet to access that seal?

xuPkta8.png

lR0xjid.png

7oUWbMv.jpg

So, i took some old rough cut lumber that used to be roof joists in our home.   1952 rough cut 2 x 6.

Used a table saw to rip them into 1 x 6.  Then used a planer to smooth them.   

Went back to the table saw used a dado blade to cut a 9/16 inch groove on the 1 x 6.

Took 1/2 inch sanded plywood,  and cut a 24" x 30" sheet.

Then I used  a mitre saw to cut two 25" and two 30" pieces of 1 x 6, with 45 degree cuts at each end.  I slid the plywood into the grooves on 1 the 1 x 6 to make the table top.

Went back to table saw, and ripped  2 x 2  pieces, then put a jig on the table saw to taper them from 2 to 1.5 inches for the legs. 

Stained the whole thing,  then 2 coats of poly over all of it.

I then glued down a legend of zelda puzzle my son and i put together, then poured epoxy over it.  

This was his birthday present...

Attach37622_20170506_141207.jpg

Edited by Major Harris
  • Like 11

• 5 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

This is not a DIY question, but a home maintenance question about hvac.

In short, my house is about 20 years old and the units are original.  One has been leaking refrigerant for a few years.  We've had it refilled twice, but it's a band aid not a solution.  After spending $400+ on a refill last year, that unit went again yesterday.  (bonus - they're phasing out the old R-22 refrigerant, so each time it gets dramatically more expensive to refill).  So we're going to bite the bullet and replace the units.  here's the question:

How essential is it to replace the furnace with the A/C units?  Those things are 20 years old also, but we haven't had any problems with them yet.  Obviously more cost effective to replace everything at once than do it piecemeal, and I know the HVAC guys like to talk about the harmony of the system and whatnot...but is it really in my best interests as a consumer to do both, even if the furnace isn't clearly on the brink of dying?  I'm financially able to if that's the best thing to do, but not looking to drop an extra couple grand that I don't have to.

Thanks!

Edited by Bliz

5 hours ago, Bliz said:

This is not a DIY question, but a home maintenance question about hvac.

In short, my house is about 20 years old and the units are original.  One has been leaking refrigerant for a few years.  We've had it refilled twice, but it's a band aid not a solution.  After spending $400+ on a refill last year, that unit went again yesterday.  (bonus - they're phasing out the old R-22 refrigerant, so each time it gets dramatically more expensive to refill).  So we're going to bite the bullet and replace the units.  here's the question:

How essential is it to replace the furnace with the A/C units?  Those things are 20 years old also, but we haven't had any problems with them yet.  Obviously more cost effective to replace everything at once than do it piecemeal, and I know the HVAC guys like to talk about the harmony of the system and whatnot...but is it really in my best interests as a consumer to do both, even if the furnace isn't clearly on the brink of dying?  I'm financially able to if that's the best thing to do, but not looking to drop an extra couple grand that I don't have to.

Thanks!

Talk to a reputable contractor.  Have them do a load calc for your home.  Check out hvactalk forums

27 minutes ago, Springfield said:

How hard is it to do baseboard?

I dont find it to be too hard.  Buy a protractor amd remember corners are rarely exactly 90 degrees.  That and some caulk for any seams and you should be okay.

Oh and buy a coping saw for in corners.  Its only a few bucks.  Dont try to miter a 90 for an interior corner.

5 hours ago, skinfan2k said:

@Major Harris Where did you buy your cabinets from?  I am purchasing my cabinets tonight from Home Depot.  How did you decide on the cabinet style, and # number of doors?  What brand is it?

I use home depot for everything.  get an order over $1000 and go to the pro desk you'll get a nice discount will also take an additional 4% off. Also even if they aren't running their 24 months zero financing special if you just ask they'll give it to you.

I had to buy the unfinished oak cabinets so that I could stain them to match the cabinets that were given to me. They are made by RSI products I believe that's just the Home Depot brand. As far as what cabinets you need you have to measure out your space and figure out the size of the cabinets and where they're going to fit.

7 hours ago, Major Harris said:

I use home depot for everything.  get an order over $1000 and go to the pro desk you'll get a nice discount will also take an additional 4% off. Also even if they aren't running their 24 months zero financing special if you just ask they'll give it to you.

I had to buy the unfinished oak cabinets so that I could stain them to match the cabinets that were given to me. They are made by RSI products I believe that's just the Home Depot brand. As far as what cabinets you need you have to measure out your space and figure out the size of the cabinets and where they're going to fit.

i just bought shaker white cabinets for my kitchen.  they cost me $6300 for my whole kitchen