Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

DIY Home Improvement Thread..

PleaseBlitz

A good reason to DIY.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/true-crime/wp/2017/12/21/remodeling-contractor-hired-a-hit-man-to-kill-homeowner-the-hit-man-was-a-cop-with-a-video-camera/?utm_term=.83f47082d3c3

Remodeling contractor hired a hit man to kill homeowner. The hit man was a cop (with a video camera).

Many people have an exasperating tale about a construction contractor who didn’t get the job done. Shoddy work. Stopped showing up. Took the money and ran. But those don’t compare to the tale of Daniel W. Jamison, a contractor who had a string of fraud-related convictions when he was hired and paid by a Fairfax County, Va., man to do a $41,000 home remodeling job.

Daniel W. Jamison, home remodeling contractor, convicted of soliciting the murder of one of his clients. (Fairfax County Sheriff’s Office)
Jamison did some work on the home, then vanished. The homeowner had him charged with construction fraud. So Jamison took his own action: He hired a hit man to kill the homeowner.

Jamison agreed to pay $500 for the murder weapon and $10,000 for the killing and then falsely told the hit man that the homeowner had stacks of cash and Rolex watches in the house that the killer could keep after he committed the murder. All of this information is on video, because the hit man was actually a Fairfax County police officer.

Jamison did not end up paying the “hit man” anything, but he did end up charged with solicitation to commit first-degree murder, a crime so rarely charged in Virginia there are no sentencing guidelines for it. And last Friday, after Jamison made a tearful apology in court but claimed he never intended to kill anyone, a Fairfax judge told him “I don’t believe a word of your story” and sentenced him to 10 years in prison.

Video of the dude trying to hire an undercover cop to kill a guy is at link.  

• Like 1

2 hours ago, PleaseBlitz said:

A good reason to DIY.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/true-crime/wp/2017/12/21/remodeling-contractor-hired-a-hit-man-to-kill-homeowner-the-hit-man-was-a-cop-with-a-video-camera/?utm_term=.83f47082d3c3

Remodeling contractor hired a hit man to kill homeowner. The hit man was a cop (with a video camera).

Video of the dude trying to hire an undercover cop to kill a guy is at link.  

Only thing fishy about that whole thing is how Fairfax County PD spared an officer from finding and breaking up teen drinking parties???

• Haha 3

• 4 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...

I have a wall-mounted PTAC unit for AC and heat like you would see at hotels. It is SO damn loud and it's definitely the compressor. I can't reach it so I'm trying to minimize the vibration from inside.

Most anti-vibration stuff is designed to be put under something on the ground which wouldn't work so is there anything I can attach to the PTAC to quiet it down?

• 4 weeks later...
1 minute ago, PleaseBlitz said:

They will, and it’s not too expensive. Good ****ing call my man. :cheers:

I will warn you that depending on the size you get and the quality of the original pic, it could look pixelated.  Try to find a pic taken by a pro full frame dslr.  Probably need to buy a copy from a pro photographer. 

3 minutes ago, TheGreatBuzz said:

I will warn you that depending on the size you get and the quality of the original pic, it could look pixelated.  Try to find a pic taken by a pro full frame dslr.  Probably need to buy a copy from a pro photographer. 

Yea, so it looks like i need an extremely high quality photo and permission from the copyright owner. I’ll reach out to the Caps and see if they’ll help, im pretty sure they are the owner and have the best quality version. 

3 minutes ago, PleaseBlitz said:

Yea, so it looks like i need an extremely high quality photo and permission from the copyright owner. I’ll reach out to the Caps and see if they’ll help, im pretty sure they are the owner and have the best quality version. 

Try that and reach out to DC sports photographers.  I'm sure they have some great pics also.  Let them know what you are trying to do.  They shouldn't charge too much since you aren't trying to make money off their pic.

• 1 month later...

Laying in bed after a long ****ing day and noticed a water spot on my ceiling. That’s a roof leak. 

My roof is about 20-23 years old now. Prob time to replace. I had a smaller leak that was repaired two years ago. We thought we could push it off for a few years and move before it needed replaced. 

The estimate i got was $5k two years ago. So not too bad. But this water spot only showed up after we got biblical rain for 48 straight hours this past weekend. 

I should just go ahead and replace, right?

10 minutes ago, Elessar78 said:

Metal roof or shingles?

If your hoa will allow it, metal roof and not even close.  Make sure you go with an overlapped seam, however.  Will cost a little extrz (i call it overlapped seam, but you might want to research.  Most important thing is you do not want an exposed fastener anywhere on your roof)

Or, you can go with metal shingles.  Best product out there but cost a fortune

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, zoony said:

If your hoa will allow it, metal roof and not even close.  Make sure you go with an overlapped seam, however.  Will cost a little extrz (i call it overlapped seam, but you might want to research.  Most important thing is you do not want an exposed fastener anywhere on your roof)

Or, you can go with metal shingles.  Best product out there but cost a fortune

this is all "if money is not an issue" advice.  :)

12 minutes ago, Major Harris said:

this is all "if money is not an issue" advice.  :)

Or ROI—we may be short timers in this house, under 5 years? I don't see us being in this house for another 10 years. 

With that said, the advice isn't wrong. Buyers, first time buyers like ourselves probably don't think about roofs as part of their investment in a new home.

Edited by Elessar78

5 minutes ago, Elessar78 said:

Or ROI—we may be short timers in this house, under 5 years? I don't see us being in this house for another 10 years. 

With that said, the advice isn't wrong. Buyers, first time buyers like ourselves probably don't think about roofs as part of their investment in a new home.

no it's good advice.  I would've followed it if finances weren't an issue for me.

• 1 month later...

So there were,(my wife and I),excited about the flooring we just bought and ready to get rid of the nasty at least 15 year old carpet out of most of the house,(and the linoleum out of the kitchen). I come home from work and the Mrs. has ripped out the hallway carpet,(starting there since it's a nice tile),and I start giving the hallway(s) the hard eye. Hmmm. Okay. Maybe can avoid taking the drywall out and simply strip the old wall paper,(which previous owners have painted over and then some),and give it a nice paint job and wainscot will cover the lower 1/3.  Yeah right. Considering how much bull**** I've discovered that's never been code in the house I should have known better. Upon further review,two spots in part of the hallway,(bordering the main bathroom),has two bulges in the drywall and one wall has a massive cup to the inside. After removing the drywall,(sigh. Had to be done),we discovered a host of issues that when I'm feeling up to it,I'll post pics of. Examples. Instead of drilling a hole to accommodate the drain pipe for the bathtub,they shorted the drain pipe to about bottom of the sub floor. Then cut a rectangle out of the subfloor about 3 inches wide and 13 inches long and rain the pipe horizontally then elbowed it towards the crawl space. Which,by the way,I can see clearly from above. That's bad. Oh yeah. All the drywall in the bathroom? Standard not moisture resistant,(fortunately this a an arid climate here). Drywall in the hallway hung walls first and then ceiling and all those holes in the floor unsealed. Yeah. We found evidence of all kinds of insects making a home inside the walls. And so on. Back to demo and a growing punch list. 

66be62654461bb21cc7d4502bc68_Gallery.jpe

• Like 1

Not really the right thread for this, but seemed like the best place.

We have an over the oven microwave.  We had a small fire on the range top and a lot of smoke.  The out vent of the microwave now badly smells of smoke.

I've removed the grease filter from the bottom of the microwave and gave that a good cleaning.  It doesn't seem to smell (but have ordered a new one anyway just in case).  I removed the grille from the microwave and removed the carbon filter there (and ordered a new one).  The carbon filter smells badly, but  when you run the microwave or the vent alone without the carbon filter, the air coming out of the vent still smells. 

People talk about boiling things in the microwave to remove smells in the microwave.  I've done water/vinegar mixes, but it certainly doesn't seem to be getting rid of the smell.

Any suggestions?  We're having trouble getting rid of the smell in the house, but the only thing that specifically seems to smell is the microwave.

The microwave is getting older, but I don't want to really have to replace it because of an odor, but I don't think we can get the smell out of the house as long as the microwave smells.

• 2 weeks later...