Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

DIY Home Improvement Thread..

PleaseBlitz

Sod's covered,(keep it watered,should be okay).  

Master Bedroom remodel almost done. Installing the sliding glass door this Saturday and that should just about wrap it up. After that,all those pesky little projects older homes like this have come with them. Though I'll be heading out from time to time to round up material for the next "bigger" project. The pallet shed/shop. :)  

• 2 weeks later...

I have an exterior garage (not attached to the house) that doubles as a workshop and general area for clutter and mess.  I decided I had enough and spent several months on an organization and cleanout mission.

I built shelves out of 2x4's across the entire back of the workshop, then decided I still didn't like the fact you could see everything.  So I built some doors out of plywood and 1x and hung those.  A lot more work than I wanted but I'm pleased with how it turned out and how organized everything is.  I still have a few more details to work on and I might decide to fill / paint at some point, but right now I can live with staple holes no problem.

I bought 16 sheets of 1/2" BC Plywood, and 50 2x4s.  I also used joist hangers for support.  I installed double 2x4s on all the uprights so that none of the shelves are relying on screws for support.  I actually used very few screws, mostly to kind of keep anything from moving.  everything is being held by supporting wood underneath

post-120783-0-78152200-1464801002_thumb.

• Like 1

This is not (all) DIY by any means but I recently purchased a bank owned fixer upper and we're diving into the renovation. On my list for the next few weeks:

-Mold/moisture remediation for the crawl (starting next week)

-Brand new appliances (they had been removed)

-Painting the entire home (was pink and coral throughout)

-Some minor plumbing fixes including new hot water heater

-New carpet in bedrooms

That's pretty much what is getting done now.

After 6mo we'll probably refinance to get some cash out of it to finish the project (purchased for 216k, appraised for 295k). At that point we've got the following on the docket:

-New counters, sink, and backsplash in the kitchen

-new counters and sinks in the master bath

-finishing some attic space for a 4th bedroom/office

-reconfiguring main level to open up the great room more (taking out a jutted out closet and relocating a jutted out half bath

-new hardwood floors throughout (current ones are kinda jacked up from the moisture in the crawl), tile in the kitchen

-new deck (current one is too small and falling apart)

-paved driveway

-paint exterior of the house

Then some other random stuff like new fixtures, etc that will help modernize the place.

So basically I figure we're getting ready to dump like $80k+ into this place. Hope to have before/after pics at some point, but maybe not til it's done.

Edited by skinsfan_1215

I sealed my crawlspace. Posted about it a few pages back. I got quotes that ranged from $10k to $15k.

Did it myself and spent about $3500 in materials. Would have been more expensive but I had access to some tools and materials some people dont. Easily the most difficult project I've undertaken

Awesome zoony! The door isn't supposed to go on the ceiling though. How will you get your car out?

Thanks... and it's a flying car

I sealed my crawlspace. Posted about it a few pages back. I got quotes that ranged from $10k to $15k.

Did it myself and spent about $3500 in materials. Would have been more expensive but I had access to some tools and materials some people dont. Easily the most difficult project I've undertaken

r

We're going with a quote for $10,600. The house is 2150 square feet on one level. That includes the mold treatment and scrubbing, ripping out old insulation and vapor barrier, putting down new heavy duty vapor barrier, sealing the vents, doing spray foam insulation around the foundation walls, and adding a $1500 dehumidifier to permanently fix the moisture issue. Also conditioning the crawl and adding a new door to the crawl space.

Pricey but I'd rather have it done right and never have to worry about it again.

Edited by skinsfan_1215

We're going with a quote for $10,600. The house is 2150 square feet on one level. That includes the mold treatment and scrubbing, ripping out old insulation and vapor barrier, putting down new heavy duty vapor barrier, sealing the vents, doing spray foam insulation around the foundation walls, and adding a $1500 dehumidifier to permanently fix the moisture issue. Also conditioning the crawl and adding a new door to the crawl space.

Pricey but I'd rather have it done right and never have to worry about it again.

zoony and i will do it right for 9k.

We're going with a quote for $10,600. The house is 2150 square feet on one level. That includes the mold treatment and scrubbing, ripping out old insulation and vapor barrier, putting down new heavy duty vapor barrier, sealing the vents, doing spray foam insulation around the foundation walls, and adding a $1500 dehumidifier to permanently fix the moisture issue.

That is a great price for all of that work. Pretty much exactly what I did

I would not recommend the spray foam around the foundation walls, extruded poly sheets would be a better option. However spray around your rim joist is a great idea and will help tremendously. Make sure they leave a gap at the top for termite inspection. Also confirm they are using closed cell spray foam, a dishonest contractor might save money thinking the homeowner doesn't know the difference

The building code for crawlspace was written before central air conditioning existed. It is criminal that they are allowing so many homes with crawlspaces to be built still. The code needs to be changed. Warm moist air being pulled in through the crawl and surrounding a 70 degree air conditioned floor will create instant condensation, which leads to mold growth

If you have a crawlspace, you have mold, and 80 percent of your indoor air is coming from your crawl. My allergies have reduced an amazing amount in the past few years and my son's asthma is a thousand times better

zoony and i will do it right for 9k.

I get to be the boss!
  • Like 1

The building code for crawlspace was written before central air conditioning existed. It is criminal that they are allowing so many homes with crawlspaces to be built still. The code needs to be changed. Warm moist air being pulled in through the crawl and surrounding a 70 degree air conditioned floor will create instant condensation, which leads to mold growth

If you have a crawlspace, you have mold, and 80 percent of your indoor air is coming from your crawl. My allergies have reduced an amazing amount in the past few years and my son's asthma is a thousand times better

!

Absolutely agree with this. I've been complaining about that since we learned of the mold issue and I started doing more research on it.

Is laying sod as easy as it looks?  I've youtubed the crap out of it, it looks pretty straight forward.  We already had our sprinkler system installed so that's done.  After getting a few quotes, I can save a few thousand dollars by tilling it and sodding it myself.    My neighbor on one side spent $15K to get his backyard landscaped (he went all out, though), guy on the other side spent $7K. Screw that noise, I'll do it myself.

We've already got the sprinkler system installed back there.  I'm sodding a 35x40 space.   There is a company in my area that delivers sod for cheap.  I'm just going to lay it in a brick pattern, cut it to fit as necessary, cut out small holes for the sprinkler heads.  Water the living **** out of it for an hour a day for 2-3 weeks.  Then put up my barriers about 3 feet from the fence all around and fill it with river rock.  

Am I not supposed to fertilize until the sod has taken root?

Edited by Chew

Is laying sod as easy as it looks?  I've youtubed the crap out of it, it looks pretty straight forward.  We already had our sprinkler system installed so that's done.  After getting a few quotes, I can save a few thousand dollars by tilling it and sodding it myself.    My neighbor on one side spent $15K to get his backyard landscaped (he went all out, though), guy on the other side spent $7K. Screw that noise, I'll do it myself.

We've already got the sprinkler system installed back there.  I'm sodding a 35x40 space.   There is a company in my area that delivers sod for cheap.  I'm just going to lay it in a brick pattern, cut it to fit as necessary, cut out small holes for the sprinkler heads.  Water the living **** out of it for an hour a day for 2-3 weeks.  Then put up my barriers about 3 feet from the fence all around and fill it with river rock.  

Am I not supposed to fertilize until the sod has taken root?

Soil prep is the hardest part of putting down sod. When I did my backyard, I tilled it, mixed in peatmoss, retilled, and raked it to level it out. Not tough work but it took time. Putting down the sod is pretty much what you said: do it in a staggered pattern so the ends aren't the same across the lawn. Then rent a hand roller (I think those things fill with water) and roll it over the sod to help set it in the soil. Then water, water, water.

If you're in the DMV now's not the time to lay sod. The dog day of August will kill it. 

• Like 1

Soil prep is the hardest part of putting down sod. When I did my backyard, I tilled it, mixed in peatmoss, retilled, and raked it to level it out. Not tough work but it took time. Putting down the sod is pretty much what you said: do it in a staggered pattern so the ends aren't the same across the lawn. Then rent a hand roller (I think those things fill with water) and roll it over the sod to help set it in the soil. Then water, water, water.

If you're in the DMV now's not the time to lay sod. The dog day of August will kill it. 

Thanks for the response.  I've seen peat moss mentioned by several landscaping companies on youtube.  I'll check it out.  Looks like you can rent a hand roller from Lowes/HD.

I'm in Colorado, no extreme heat here lol.  :)

Thanks for the response. I've seen peat moss mentioned by several landscaping companies on youtube. I'll check it out. Looks like you can rent a hand roller from Lowes/HD.

I'm in Colorado, no extreme heat here lol. :)

I've laid a ton of sod over the years I've never rolled it

Put it down, water the ever loving **** out of it. You can't over water it especially in this heat. You shouldn't be able to lift up the pieces in a week without tearing roots. If you can you aren't watering it enough

Did I mention water? That's important.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

So a while ago I posted that I was going to turn my basement into a home theater.

I've made some progress. Projector and screen hung (taken down to paint), speaker wire routed. Started on paint tonight. Here's some progress pics.

Never mind. Can't get imgur to work right now.

Edited by Springfield
  • Like 1

https://imgur.com/a/5h9Jd

This is better. Just wish I could post pics directly here.

***I did, thanks Doc!***

https://imgur.com/a/5h9Jd

Posted this in the DIY thread but I figured I'd post here also. For some reason I can't figure out how to imbed the pics on my phone so I just posted the link.

It's the progress of my movie room over the weekend.

gYxjARY.jpg

Gw0vhjE.jpg

5M50vBN.jpg

H5x59n5.jpg

x8vFEI7.jpg

mrKOtR6.jpg

yHe0slX.jpg

iLMvlQi.jpg

eZrY84r.jpg

Edited by Springfield
  • Like 3