Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

DIY Home Improvement Thread..

PleaseBlitz

On 6/19/2017 at 10:36 PM, Major Harris said:

Got my first cabinets in. 

Looking good Major

Few people understand how much work that is.  Its always the details that take FOREVER.  Demo and rough in is 2 days, installation another two days, and then trim and caulk and detail is 2 years....

We are getting some quotes on our kitchen.  I plan on doing the demo and rough in and tile, but im going to let someone else do the cabinets and countertops.  Too much that could go wrong

• Like 1

1 hour ago, skinfan2k said:

@steve09ru Where did you buy that?  Do you have to cut it?  You seemed to do any amazing job aroudn the window. 

Thanks- yeah had to cut them, hard part was around the windows and stairs (little touch ups still needed.

I got them from Lowes (timberwall xl) - newer product so you really have to look around.  We ran into issues trying to get them because no one put them in the right spot in store so they kept telling us they didn't have any left

1 hour ago, Major Harris said:

Huh ugh it must be different store to store. 

Ive just never been satisfied with anything ive purchased at depot or lowes.  Everything is price point driven for them so you have manufacturers that make cheaper lines just for them, ie Kraft Made cabinets.  Independent dealers they are high quality, lowes sells the particle board version.  John Deere, Cub Cadet, all manufacturers do this

I dont even buy paint there anymore.  Even their deck screws are complete garbage.  Rust thru in a couple years.  They dont sell SS deck screws purely because of price point

Ive never saved money in the long run going poor quality

2 hours ago, zoony said:

Ive just never been satisfied with anything ive purchased at depot or lowes.  Everything is price point driven for them so you have manufacturers that make cheaper lines just for them, ie Kraft Made cabinets.  Independent dealers they are high quality, lowes sells the particle board version.  John Deere, Cub Cadet, all manufacturers do this

I dont even buy paint there anymore.  Even their deck screws are complete garbage.  Rust thru in a couple years.  They dont sell SS deck screws purely because of price point

Stupid question but how do you find an independent dealer?

On 6/24/2017 at 2:56 PM, steve09ru said:

Finally finished up minus on of the spaces between the windows and getting the valences back up

[Timberwall Pics]

Looks really nice!  How well are they adhering?

Not that we were planning on doing any work any time soon, but the reviews scare me a bit.  People saying the boards are starting to warp or come unstuck after as little as one night.

7 hours ago, zoony said:

I like Home Depot. Use it all the time.  I used to buy paint there but I don't anymore. 

1 hour ago, dfitzo53 said:

Looks really nice!  How well are they adhering?

Not that we were planning on doing any work any time soon, but the reviews scare me a bit.  People saying the boards are starting to warp or come unstuck after as little as one night.

Thanks! Holding up pretty well! Very strong stuff- the very first board I put on was slightly slanted and ended up pulling a chunk of drywall off with it when I tried to pull off and adjust. I started it around 2 weeks ago and and they are still holding up (knock on wood)

• Like 1

• 5 months later...

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Ryobi-ONE-120-MPH-18-Volt-Lithium-Ion-Cordless-Hard-Surface-Leaf-Blower-Sweeper-Battery-and-Charger-Not-Included-P2105/202556447?MERCH=REC-_-PIPHorizontal1_rr-_-204589657-_-202556447-_-N

Will this thing be helpful with leaves? I don't have a big leaf issue, but just need to speed up the job anyway. At fifty bucks, if it shaves an hour or two then it'll be worth it. I already have a bunch of other Ryobi One gear, so I have battery packs to keep going for over an hour. I'm happy with my other Ryobi One tools, but worried this might be underpowered—glorified blowdryer.

Need some help with this.

The bottom of the window frame, just above the window sill, is getting some type of bad corrosion, and it's happening on both sides in the same place.

It bubbles from the inside out, then flakes, then turns brown, and the brown actually liquifies and leaks out, as you can see.

All of what you see here, has happened totally on its own, with no contact with any humans, or objects at all.

Can anyone tell me what causes this, and what can be done about it, both as preventative, and as a cheap cosmetic fix ?

Picture1127171324951.jpg

7 hours ago, Malapropismic Depository said:

Need some help with this.

The bottom of the window frame, just above the window sill, is getting some type of bad corrosion, and it's happening on both sides in the same place.

It bubbles from the inside out, then flakes, then turns brown, and the brown actually liquifies and leaks out, as you can see.

All of what you see here, has happened totally on its own, with no contact with any humans, or objects at all.

Can anyone tell me what causes this, and what can be done about it, both as preventative, and as a cheap cosmetic fix ?

You have a water leak.  Need more pictures but most likely from above.

If thats the part youre seeing, the part you arent is far worse.  Probably a mold issue behind that plaster :(

• Thanks 1

• 1 month later...

Bifold closet door fell over and the handle got pushed in and damaged the door. The handle was one of the bigger ones for a closet door so the dent is kinda big. Hate to throw out the whole door just for this—seems repairable. Any ideas? Saw some vids on YouTube about repairing a hole in a hollow core door with expanding foam and putty, then repainting. Anyone else go this route?