Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

DIY Home Improvement Thread..

PleaseBlitz

I'm not married to any brand, do you have any recommendations? 

Are you talking about this kind of combo: http://www.amazon.com/DEWALT-DCK280C2-20-Volt-Li-Ion-Compact/dp/B0052MIIX2/ref=sr_1_1?s=hi&ie=UTF8&qid=1433165252&sr=1-1&keywords=drill+and+impact+driver+combo

I was where you are at 2-3 months ago (asked same question in this thread).  I had a Dewalt 18V for 18+ years and leaned heavily that way.  Think someone recommended the combo with impact drill, but I already have/had an impact drill, so I bought this:  http://www.lowes.com/pd_530413-70-DCD795D2___?productId=50040970&pl=1&Ntt=dewalt+cordless+hammer+drill

It's a fantastic drill.  I would recommend NOT getting PC if you are going to use it for serious projects, such as deck, remodeling, etc.  I love PC for other things (circ saw, Sanders, etc.) but not for cordless drills.  Go DeWalt....especially since you're not paying for it.  :)

Edited by pointyfootball
  • Like 1

I'm a noob at this DIY stuff so I'm still finding it hard to justify spending for quality/contractor-level tools. Shoot I'm getting all of my work done now with a 15 year old B&D corded drill with a chuck that I paid $20 :D

Project completed this weekend: replaced weather stripping around garage door. Trying to create a tighter seal in the garage to reduce bugs and keep out the cold to reduce heating costs. There was about a 1-inch gap between door and seal last winter. 

yeesh, almost had an "incident" with a hand held reciprocating saw. I was cutting a piece of wood secured to my work bench. but it was still flopping around a lot, so I one-handed the saw while I pinned down the wood with my left hand. After the piece cut away, the weight of the saw just dropped like a dead weight.  I almost got the blade mid-thigh.

Good thing I was standing off to the left a bit. Whew.

yeesh, almost had an "incident" with a hand held reciprocating saw. I was cutting a piece of wood secured to my work bench. but it was still flopping around a lot, so I one-handed the saw while I pinned down the wood with my left hand. After the piece cut away, the weight of the saw just dropped like a dead weight.  I almost got the blade mid-thigh.

Note to self: Respect the power tool. Think it through before proceeding. Especially when tired or in a hurry. 

Buddy of mine was cutting trees down on his lot. After about 8 hours he's tired but had one more cut in him. Ripped through a limb, chain saw fell towards this thigh, but only cut his blue jeans before he gained control of the saw. He wore those same jeans every time after that whenever he did any kind of DIY job to remind him of how stupid & lucky he was. 

Drywall question

When doing drywall corner beads, where there is a bead on the edge of a frame and also along the top, do you have to cut 45 degree cuts to the very tip and line them up? Like this:

corner.jpg

What is the advantage of that?

yeesh, almost had an "incident" with a hand held reciprocating saw. I was cutting a piece of wood secured to my work bench. but it was still flopping around a lot, so I one-handed the saw while I pinned down the wood with my left hand. After the piece cut away, the weight of the saw just dropped like a dead weight. I almost got the blade mid-thigh.

Recip saws are incredibly dangerous. I see a lot of guys trying to one hand them,,, all it takes is for the saw to bind for a moment and kick up.,, then you're in a world of ****

Always keep the shoe firmly pressed against the material and always use two hands!

• Like 1

Recip saws are incredibly dangerous. I see a lot of guys trying to one hand them,,, all it takes is for the saw to bind for a moment and kick up.,, then you're in a world of ****

Always keep the shoe firmly pressed against the material and always use two hands!

"Funny" thing was I thought I was being safety minded. Put on some safety glasses, put some work gloves on. But wasn't "360" aware of the danger. Yeah, will totally respect any and all power tools from now on—no matter how simple the job seems. 

Drywall question

When doing drywall corner beads, where there is a bead on the edge of a frame and also along the top, do you have to cut 45 degree cuts to the very tip and line them up? Like this:

What is the advantage of that?

easier to finish.

if u overlap them, you have a bump which requires more mud.

• 2 weeks later...

woke up to this gem. We've gotten a ton of rain the past few days. 

Any ideas? Do I need to bring in a pro for a consultation?

This is the first time in 3 years that we've lived here that this has happened. I walked outside and the water spot drains right to the area above this so I'm thinking of:

a) extending it another 75 feet

B) scraping the top layer off grass and soil and laying down some 6 mil plastic sheeting and relaying the sod back on top. Perhaps increasing the slope away from the house.

c) painting the basement with some drylok

any other thoughts?

7gQEbnE.jpg

You sure you didn't just take a piss against the wall after drinking last night?

Looks like he was trying to spell his name out.

I can make out the E and the L, the rest gets mixed up after that.

Jk man, I'd freak if I walked into my basement and saw that.

Good thing it wasn't a few feet to the right where the bookshelf is.  

Good luck, man.  We had water come into our (mostly finished) basement a few years ago.  Managed to catch it as it was happening and wet vac it up before it hit anything important.  Thankfully it entered on the side of the laundry room, not the Skins cave.  We considered options and paid pros to come out and take care of it, and it's been solid for several years running now, knock on wood.