Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

DIY Home Improvement Thread..

PleaseBlitz

This isn't so much DIY, but I figured it'd be a good pool of people to ask.

My wife and I own a 2BR Condo that we rent out to a great tenant.  The condo was built, as far as I know, about 20 years ago and still has the original water heater.  The condo association recently sent out a letter to owners stating that some of the original heaters have started to leak, causing damage to units below.  They recommended replacement ASAP.

I need to double-check, but as I said I believe ours has one of the original ones.  If we do need to replace it, what kind of unit should we be looking to buy?  2BR Condo, single tenant, washer/dryer, dishwasher, tenant pays the gas/electric bill.  Unit has gas and electric hookups.

I need to double-check, but as I said I believe ours has one of the original ones.  If we do need to replace it, what kind of unit should we be looking to buy?  2BR Condo, single tenant, washer/dryer, dishwasher, tenant pays the gas/electric bill.  Unit has gas and electric hookups.

Depends if you are going to install it or someone else.  I personally don't do anything DIY with gas.  You're probably looking at a 50gal water tank (if natural gas, I'd go gas over electric; if propane, I'd go electric).  50gal tank is not that expensive ($250-300 I would imagine).

I lean in the same direction when it comes to working with anything having to do with the gas lines. That said,you've gotten some great use out of that old water heater. I just replaced mine a couple of years ago,(pro plumber installation with the water heater coming from a local place. I've got two teenagers in the house along with the wife and I and a 40 gallon tank has done just fine. My guess,with the age of the water heater in mind,is that you'll need an expansion tank to go along with it. It's code these days for a few reasons. That will up the price but with a good water heater and installation,it'll be a good investment for a bunch of years. 

Carpet is a pain in the ass,but as stated,that's when it's done right. It can be ridiculously expensive to get carpet installed and many companies,(especially those working with the big box stores),have some semi hidden costs that'll bit you in the ass if you're not looking for them. The biggest problem when it comes to diy on carpet and other things,is that some manufacturers won't warranty products not done by a "professional." Something to keep in mind while researching your carpet. I'll be putting in ours here in the house in the areas we don't lay tile or hardwood down. 

Installing a square (12'-15'x12'-15') ground level deck to cover a paver patio in my back yard. Planning on using composite deck. For a project so small it shouldn't be too expensive, right?

Anyone want to give me a brief how to? Tools and materials required?

My AC unit was recently fixed, there was some type of molding that had warped and a family member who works in HVAC replaced it and refilled the Freon. This was close to a month ago. Today I come home from church and the house is really hot, the air vents in my house are barely pushing cold air, and the outside unit is blowing lukewarm air out. 

I checked the air filter, and it did need to be changed so I took care of that. Still no change to how poorly the HVAC unit is cooling the house. Does anyone in here any experience with this? 

So this is the place as we got it. Moving our crap in:
r8zwFAX.jpg
KB2juJ3.jpg

There was some toilet repair that had to happen, but I can't find the pics. Essentially I had to replace the flange and then pour new concrete. Someone had chiseled it out from around the downpipe and then left the pipe unssecured. That plus the former tennants being quite large is probably what led to it being broke and water leaking out. So after that, the carpet in the living room pretty much had to go.

yVYmXJL.jpg
Had to cut out some drywall, as sit had mold. Double layer of 5/8" everywhere man. Sucks.

Also put some paint on the walls:
pe9sp6g.jpg
vsOXS1x.jpg

Hmmmm ... then I found this. Wasn't sure how to fix it.
0MAtjTb.jpg

Definitely going to need this:
oCHGaR2.jpg

And this fixes everything:
eKqPCxr.jpg

Kidding. Used Quikcrete.

Get a new floor in:
utXEYOS.jpg
jIf6BkG.jpg
VuWoHPV.jpg

And of course, have to test out the new floors:
JRQfAzf.jpg

We got a new couch. Even Reddy doesn't like watching the Browns:
bgXAZT1.jpg

So this is the current kitchen:
K8JU2WQ.jpg
VZwcChT.jpg

Yea, the washer and dryer gotta go. Where could I move them ... hmmmmm

zXMHrwC.jpg
The coat closet by the front door? That is an excellent idea!!!

lF5eWjS.jpg

So the plan was this: Make the coat closet narrower by about 12 inches (36 inches to 24 inches). That area on the other side of the framing is actually the closet for the second bed room. The funny thing is that the closet actually goes beyond the front door AND that room has another closet on the other side. So, I have spare closet space. So we'll block off 48 inches and bump in to the room about 5 inches to make space for a stackable washer and dryer.

rybOFGF.jpg
All cleared out, and putting the framing in. Concrete nail gun actually uses a gunpowder charge :P

MNXl6tx.jpg
Cutting in to the vent pipe that goes to the sewer.  Tested it with a hose and it'll take the water. Just have to work the piping around to the new laundry closet.

Framing it up nice:
E1vADOA.jpg
0sCH8DL.jpg

Framing done, electrical routed, but not hooked  up
1OAe6hf.jpg

Dat plumbing:
KarWc3t.jpg
ekAPAlG.jpg
Kthradb.jpg

Demo done
Closet re-sized
Laundry closet added
Bedroom closet framed in
Plumbing done
Drainage added

Only thing I have to do is add in the dryer vent and then drywall. Oh and drop like 1k on a new washer and dryer.

Edited by Slateman
  • Like 3

Very nice work Slatemen

Just a tip, don't waste your money on an HE washer.  Complete and total scam - just do some online research.

1- they do not clean your clothes

2- they are less reliable than a 85 Chevette

3- you WILL have mold.  Not maybe, definitely.  Mold problems.

They're supposed to be environmentally friendly, but I cannot think of a worse environmental option.  Replacing a piece of **** for $1500 every 5 years is not an environmentally friendly platform.  Period.

We recently bought Speed Queen commercial units.  It's amazing, they actually clean your clothes.  No circuit boards, no gaskets, no mold.  They will be illegal starting in 2017, if you want one you better get it now.

Thank you environmental assholes.

• Like 1

upstairs laundry be money, slate.

There is no upstairs. Two bed room condo that is the bottom unit. Essentially, it looks like a town home, but the top two levels are one residence and the bottom level is another. It does have a small backyard though.

Very nice work Slatemen

Just a tip, don't waste your money on an HE washer.  Complete and total scam - just do some online research.

They're supposed to be environmentally friendly, but I cannot think of a worse environmental option.  Replacing a piece of **** for $1500 every 5 years is not an environmentally friendly platform.  Period.

We recently bought Speed Queen commercial units.  It's amazing, they actually clean your clothes.  No circuit boards, no gaskets, no mold.  They will be illegal starting in 2017, if you want one you better get it now.

We don't know what we're getting yet, but knowing my wife, it won't be cheap. I want to stay around 1k for both units, so we'll have that out. Essentially, the more we spend on those now, the longer it's going to take to do the kitchen.

At this point, my plan is to keep the old appliances, but add in space when we re-do the counters/cabinets that we might need for more modern appliances. That way, I can save a little money each month for them and buy them as I go.

Very nice work Slatemen

Can I have a link to your source? My wife wants one and I've been telling her the reliability sucks and the mold issue will put me over.

2.) I've been  constantly throwing out the idea of multiple washer dryers in the house because of the amount of laundry the family generates. I will look into these commercial units.

Can I have a link to your source? My wife wants one and I've been telling her the reliability sucks and the mold issue will put me over.

2.) I've been  constantly throwing out the idea of multiple washer dryers in the house because of the amount of laundry the family generates. I will look into these commercial units.

Way too many links to list.  There is actually class action lawsuits against all the major makers

http://www.lieffcabraser.com/Case-Center/Front-Loading-Washer-Litigation.shtml

They look fancy but they are all great big pieces of Chines Made poo.  Don't fall in love with all of the hi tech digital crap and fancy finishes.  Trust me, they don't work.  We've owned two different pairs from reputable companies.  Both developed mold and had several service calls for gasket leaks and circuit boards.  My sister, two neighbors, and essentially everyone I know with an HE washer has had similar problems.

You could read on the web for hours.

You can buy a commercial SQ pair for about $1500-$2000.  They are only sold thru independent distributors, as typically they are built for laundromats.  (these are actually laundromat units, but without the coin tray).

There is nothing electronic on them - mechanical dials and thats it.  They are NOT energy star rated.  It's glorious.  Truly.

Way too many links to list...

You can buy a commercial SQ pair for about $1500-$2000.  They are only sold thru independent distributors, as typically they are built for laundromats.  (these are actually laundromat units, but without the coin tray).

There is nothing electronic on them - mechanical dials and thats it.  They are NOT energy star rated.  It's glorious.  Truly.

I looked it up after I posted and found all those hits on the mold. Crazy.

I just checked and I have SQ retailer about ten minutes from my work. 

We debate on the machines regularly and my point is that ten years ago, I didn't feel that my clothes weren't clean. 

Yeah, we've had a couple HE units and always had mold.  We've currently been able to keep it at bay by keeping the door open all the time and running cleaner through it every now and then, but the gasket is impossible to actually keep clean.  Whenever this one needs to be replaced I probably won't go HE again if I can possibly help it.

Such poor design.

I looked it up after I posted and found all those hits on the mold. Crazy.

I just checked and I have SQ retailer about ten minutes from my work. 

We debate on the machines regularly and my point is that ten years ago, I didn't feel that my clothes weren't clean. 

If you want some light reading, check out the reviews for the SQ on amazon (they don't sell it, but it's still listed for some reason)

http://www.amazon.com/Speed-Queen-White-Load-Washer/dp/B007TTR4GI/ref=sr_1_4?ie=UTF8&qid=1431967658&sr=8-4&keywords=speed+queen+washer

I get what they're saying, truly.  It's glorious to have a washer that actually cleans your clothes.  I was serious though - these units will be outlawed in 2017.  If you're thinking about it buy it now.

The other big thing that happened a few years ago was they removed sulfates from detergent.  That part I kind of get, environmentally speaking.  The HE push, however, is a joke.  It is the perfect metaphor for how ****ing stupid the environmental lobby can be sometimes.  It's like the dingbat california dipwad who thinks they're saving the environment by shopping at whole foods.

Yeah, we've had a couple HE units and always had mold.  We've currently been able to keep it at bay by keeping the door open all the time and running cleaner through it every now and then, but the gasket is impossible to actually keep clean.  Whenever this one needs to be replaced I probably won't go HE again if I can possibly help it.

Such poor design.

They are truly terrible designs.  The new top loads are even worse.  And it's not just the mold, it's the constant failure of electronic circuitry, and the fact that they DO NOT CLEAN YOUR CLOTHES

There is an entire industry that has sprung up overnight supplying parts online to repair HE pieces of poo.  And the government is mandating them into law.

I am all for environmental protection, this is the exact opposite of that.  Our nations landfills will be running over with HE washing machines.  They are a 5 year product.

(/rant)

it really pisses me off.  Guess because I fell for it twice.  Not again.

Installing a square (12'-15'x12'-15') ground level deck to cover a paver patio in my back yard. Planning on using composite deck. For a project so small it shouldn't be too expensive, right?

Anyone want to give me a brief how to? Tools and materials required?

Expensive is relative, right?  :)  I think it might be more than you would expect.  Composite material is expensive, although some is more expensive than other.  If you do not need any railing, that reduces your cost, and work, a lot.  For estimate's sake, figure out how many deck boards you need and then multiply that by the cost per board that you like.  That will be about 50-60% of your total cost (if no railing).  12' deep deck would be 26 deck boards, say $20/board = $520.

If you're going to do composite, try and size your deck to not have to cut the boards.  So, 12' wide would let you just use 12' long.  15' wide would require you lopping off a foot of every 16' board. Not a huge deal, except that's about $2 you're throwing away for every board. 

Most people fasten a ledger board to the house (might require cutting siding away and using flashing to keep water from leaking behind ledger board.  For 12' deep (away from house) deck, I personally would use a 2x8 ledger fastened to the house, with four 4x4 posts (they'll be short) sandwiched by 2x8s to support deck joists 9-10' from house.  I tend to overbuild decks a bit, but I hate a bouncy deck.  My inputs for 12'x12' wide deck, no railing:

Ledger, joists, support beam & rim (2x8x12s)

galv joist hangars w/ nails

Deck boards ~ Qty 26-27

Posts 4x4 - I'd put them 4' apart, 10' out from house, sandwiched by 2x6s or 2x8s (need to have footers for posts)

1/2" galv hardware for ledger/posts

hidden fastener system (use if at all possible!)

Some 3" deck screws

concrete for posts

fascia board(s)?

Tools:

Circular saw

Cordless drill with some oomph

1/2" drill bit (one short, one long)

socket set

few clamps if working on deck by yourself

post-hole tool

string & string level

4 or 6' level

That's all I can think of right now.  Hardest part is always getting posts in ground (and level) and the ledger up.  Once that's done, yo9u can fly.  Good luck, and have fun. 

Edited by pointyfootball

funny, I'm ripping out a deck to put in a patio.

Patios > decks, not even close

If you have ugly concrete, put pavers over top.  You will be MUCH happier with that than a deck.  Decks are truly awful.

If you have ugly concrete, put pavers over top.  You will be MUCH happier with that than a deck.  Decks are truly awful.

This is true.  Although I like a screen porch best. Problem with patio is getting the ground ready (excavating, filling, tamping, etc.).  My favorite outside space was to excavate down like 4", dump sand in, and then jigsaw piece big flagstones in, with gaps between for grass to grow.  This was around a fire pit.   Didn't have to worry about it being perfectly level, and only maintenance is to run over it with lawnmower when I mow.  Favorite spot in the yard.

Edited by pointyfootball

Replacing the Oil Control Valve on my 2007 Sonata tonight. Causing to make all kids of racket due to throwing the timing off. Hopefully that's the issue, or I'm in for a few thousand to get the motor worked on and see if the timing chain jumped a tooth. One little sensor set me back $130. I love newer cars.

I have a ground level deck. I am not allowed to pour concrete to replace it, except to build the deck. So at the end of my list of things to do is rip out the rotting deck and replace with paving stones.

I put a paver patio in last Summer. Really wasn't hard to do and the nice part is, if in a few years I want to add onto it, it's pretty simple to do.