Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Figure Four - ALL Things ECW-WWF-NJPW-TNA-ROH-AEW

TK

Awesome put on one the greatest matches of his career at the first ECW One Night Stand PPV. He came in years after still having heat for jumping to WCW & nearly taking the ECW title with him. He & Masato Tanaka damn near stole the show that night.

R.I.P.

Dave Meltzer is reporting that former ECW World Champion Mike Awesome (real name Michael Alfonso) has passed away. He was found dead on Saturday evening in the Tampa area according to those close to the family. He was only 42 years old.

At about 10:30 p.m. on Saturday night, friends were going to his home in Tampa, Florida to pick him up and go out. He never answered the door and they found him hanging in the home. The death is believed to be due to suicide pending results of the autopsy.

Also, WWE.com has confirmed his passing:

Mike Awesome passes away

Written: February 19, 2007

WWE is saddened by news of the passing of Mike Alfonso, better known to wrestling fans as Mike Awesome. He was 42.

Mike Awesome's first major exposure came overseas, where he became one of the Japan's top stars. Awesome would eventually become a star and champion in America while wrestling for Extreme Championship Wrestling. Following his successful run in ECW, Awesome spent time working in WCW and later WWE before retiring to his native Tampa, Florida.

While in ECW, Awesome was a two-time World Champion and Tag Team Champion. His matches with Masato Tanaka, including a show-stealer at One Night Stand in 2005 were among the most memorable in ECW history.

www.wwe.com/inside/news/mikeawesomepasses I just saw this on wwe.com

R.I.P Mike Awesome

Damn, that sucks. I really liked Mike in the old-school ECW days, he had some of the most ridiculous matches I have ever seen with Masato Tanaka. I will never forget one PPV when Tanaka powerbombed Awesome out of the ring through a table onto the concrete floor. He landed right on the back of his neck and I was sure he was seriously hurt. But after a little while, he got back up, and even took some more nasty bumps before eventually losing the match. Easily one of my favorite matches ever.

I think he could have been a bigger player if he were ever given an intelligent angle. Unlike That 70's Guy, or whatever the hell he was in WCW for a little while.

Anyways, Mike was good and a hell of a performer. He will be missed.

While sitting here watching Tuesday Night Heat, I had an idea. They really need a Tag Team Title on that show. Here's who I love to see kick that division off.

C.M. Punk & R.V.D. against The Hardy Boyz.

While sitting here watching Tuesday Night Heat, I had an idea. They really need a Tag Team Title on that show. Here's who I love to see kick that division off.

C.M. Punk & R.V.D. against The Hardy Boyz.

what is up with them reuniting LARESISTANCE or how ever you spell it I do agree that they need a tag division

Tuesday Night Heat is a good desription or Velocity

so Trump's pick for the match at WM..................Lashley! Ugg. Wait it gets worse..........SCSA will be the guest referee.....Wow, this WM is goin to really suck

Any Stone Cold automatically makes things better, even though you know it's just a setup so he can screw Vince over and he'll get his head shaved. That's what makes the fact that Lashley is going to beat Umaga who's been pumped up WAY beyond what he should be, wrestling in dark matches, somewhat believable.

Im sick of SCSA........All he does is come to the ring drink beer and give stunners...........it was funny/cool years ago, now its been overdone and not interested in seeing SCSA around.......Besides the only reason he is back is to promote his new movie.....The only way this match works is if they make it a street fight or hardcore match.........Umaga has proven to me that he can fight (see the Cena/Umaga street fight). anyways it will be funny to here JR bust a load when SCSA hits the ring

only way this match works is if they make it a street fight or hardcore match.........Umaga has proven to me that he can fight (see the Cena/Umaga street fight)

I guess I'll never get past a) he was in 3-minute warning and B) he's a rip off of Samoa Joe and if WWE is so great at coming up with storylines and gimmicks why did they rip off TNA, oh yeah that's right WWE ripped off the entire "attitude era" gimmick from the nWo so what would be new.

actually the attitude era is a response to the popularity that ecw was receiving at the time...........yea nWo did play a role but lets not give wcw to much credit.....i dont compare SJ with Umaga......Umaga is more cartoonish then Joe and Joe is ten times the wrestler Umaga is but i was impressed with his street fight.

Wait, so Trumps pick was really Lashley?

I thought for sure it would be a real shocker. Like The Rock.

I actually thought that Stone Cold was going to be Trumps pick. They could give a good rub to Umaga by having him beat Austin. Cause like it or not, the casual fan still loves Steve Austin.

I guess I'll never get past a) he was in 3-minute warning and B) he's a rip off of Samoa Joe and if WWE is so great at coming up with storylines and gimmicks why did they rip off TNA, oh yeah that's right WWE ripped off the entire "attitude era" gimmick from the nWo so what would be new.

The attitude era was actually ripped off from ECW. By the time the Attitude Era started, the NWO was already starting to get stale & had split into 17 different Factions.....

The attitude era was actually ripped off from ECW. By the time the Attitude Era started, the NWO was already starting to get stale & had split into 17 different Factions.....

Really, how come soon as the nWo started helping Nitro pummell Raw in the ratings DX, the Nation, the disciples of apocolypse all popped up.

I should have clarified I certainly didn't mean the hardcore thing I just meant the writers total approach to how to write storylines, cut promo's and go about setting up fueds began to mimmick what WCW was doing with the nWo.

And to say not to give WCW any credit, well maybe not WCW but certainly Bishcoff. Some of the things he did pushed the envelope and he did things that hadn't been done before.