Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Random Thought Thread

stevenaa

3 minutes ago, Dr. Do Itch Big said:

If you don’t remember something is that really you? Like say you have amnesia and you completely forgot who you were. Your a new person right? After it’s our experiences and memories that define us? 

Ahhh.....going with the "amnesia angle" ehh.  Trying to forget about your glory hole experience.  Ok Doc, we get it, you have amnesia and it never happened :rolleyes:

Image result for glory hole

On 6/10/2019 at 3:22 PM, No Excuses said:

Anyone know of a good company that sells reliable floor lamps?

I swear whatever I've been buying off of either IKEA or Amazon turns out to be some crooked piece of crap that drives me nuts every time I see it.

a good place or company?  I like overstock, kohls, target, costco. 

7 minutes ago, Dr. Do Itch Big said:

If you don’t remember something is that really you? Like say you have amnesia and you completely forgot who you were. Your a new person right? After it’s our experiences and memories that define us? 

You might have a new identity or sense of self, but do you think you'll really be a fundamentally different person completely unshaped by your forgotten past experiences?

16 minutes ago, Dr. Do Itch Big said:

Is amnesia even really like the Movies where you forget everything but keep your learned motor functions and language, or you gotta learn that all over again?  If you have to start over from scratch, that's one thing, but that's if your memories are gone forever, not slowly coming back or in patches that can be peiced together.

Jus lookin at wikipedia you can either forget a specific event / whole chunk of your life, or cant make new memories, those are the two main types of amnesia.  Having said that, our brain chemistry has big effects on who we are.  Imagine having schizophrenia,  losing your memory wont change that.  

Cant imagine starting from scratch, big reason I have my tattoos as reminders.  I'd want to know who I was, you dont get that time back, a lot of articles I've seen people fight to try to find anything left of who they were, maybe you end up like some movies and not like what you find and become something different.

Having some issues with memory after my stroke, I don't care about what little I don't remember because I don't remember. Thankfully I have friends and family that remind me of who I am at my core. Plus I basically remember what I have done in life and am cool with it.

Interesting question especially if you don't have anyone around to tell you what you were like. Some Alzheimer's patients don't remember well and have personality changes. We don't know how those changes are manifested.

25 minutes ago, Dr. Do Itch Big said:

I dunno. I was watching Jane the virgin and she brought up this point up and it made me wonder. I don’t believe in a soul or anything like that so why wouldn’t they be a fundamentally different person. 

You're getting into existential territory.  What defines "you"?  Are you the same you today as you were twenty years ago?  If you were duplicated, which one would be "you"?  Both?

I thought SOMA did a pretty good job of examining this subject.

15 minutes ago, Renegade7 said:

Cant imagine starting from scratch, big reason I have my tattoos as reminders.  I'd want to know who I was, you dont get that time back, a lot of articles I've seen people fight to try to find anything left of who they were, maybe you end up like some movies and not like what you find and become something different.

You know, I work with a man named John G...

24 minutes ago, Dr. Do Itch Big said:

I dunno. I was watching Jane the virgin and she brought up this point up and it made me wonder. I don’t believe in a soul or anything like that so why wouldn’t they be a fundamentally different person. 

Here's an interesting read if anyone gets a minute

https://www.theatlantic.com/health/archive/2012/12/amnesia-and-the-self-that-remains-when-memory-is-lost/266662/

"It was nice of you to come. It was helpful too. It's comforting to put together the pieces of my life, to see what I've done. To know that there were kind people like you who were in it with me. Thank you."

I walked down the stairs, past the rows and rows of identical apartment buildings, back to my car. Then I sat in my car with the key in the ignition, not wanting to move. Professor Pribram felt that when we lose our memory, we lose our entire sense of self. When I saw Tom, something fundamentally Tom was still there. Some of us call it personality, or essence. Some call it the "soul." Whatever it is, the tumor that took Tom's memory had not touched it.

9 minutes ago, Dr. Do Itch Big said:

That’s interesting but what if Tom had after losing his memory was taken to a different setting and began a new life anew. I would think a new setting would affect some traits right but I do feel like there has to be some essence. Like Tom. 

my sister was in a different part of the state than her memories and did/does not remember her husband/kids or anyone around her (her husband/kids deserves sainthood btw )

Her essence remains in most ways,despite near groundhog day .

11 hours ago, Renegade7 said:

Is amnesia even really like the Movies where you forget everything but keep your learned motor functions and language, or you gotta learn that all over again?  If you have to start over from scratch, that's one thing, but that's if your memories are gone forever, not slowly coming back or in patches that can be peiced together.

Jus lookin at wikipedia you can either forget a specific event / whole chunk of your life, or cant make new memories, those are the two main types of amnesia.  Having said that, our brain chemistry has big effects on who we are.  Imagine having schizophrenia,  losing your memory wont change that.  

For those that know how I got the name Buzz, I have very vivid memories of what happened.  Only problem is what I vividly remember and can picture clear as day, didn't actually happen.  

I was telling the story to someone one day and my mom was sitting there listening.  I didn't get very far into it when she stopped me and told me what I saw didn't happen.  Then she told the actual story and it was nothing like mine.

12 hours ago, Dr. Do Itch Big said:

I've changed so much, that I can't remember large portions of my life, plus I've had neurological injuries that in many instances would overwhelm my ability to narrate my experiences and carry out the automatic things necessary for creating connections and memory. In a lot of ways my issues erased parts of me, like in that Pixar movie Inside Out where her different areas that represented parts of her personality would gray out and collapse.

I've had to rebuild myself from the inside out, but even though I've lost so much and had to create so much anew, the core of who I am has always been there. In a way, I feel blessed by these horrible experiences, because in being ground down to near nothing, I found something within me that existed beyond thought and beyond identity.

And besides all that, even if you forget your memories, your body, your DNA, still carries the adaptations and physical history of the life you've lived and the traumas, skills, capacities, and habits you've internalized. We are more than our memories, we are also the sum of every way in which we've changed by interacting with life and the world around us. We carry history all throughout our body and not just in our minds.

Didn't know where to post this but wanted to share it...

An autistic boy had a meltdown at a theme park, and an employee’s simple, soothing act of solidarity went viral

UQC6Q232BZGYNGRFB66EHF3OTE.PNG

by Allison Klein, Washington Post

Lenore Koppelman had a professional conference to attend in Florida last week and decided it would be a perfect opportunity to visit Universal Orlando Resort with her husband and 9-year-old son, Ralph.

“Ralph is awesomely autistic,” she wrote on Facebook, later adding that she and her husband also are proudly autistic. “As wonderful, loving, intelligent and incredible as Ralph is, sometimes he struggles. (Don’t we all?) When he struggles the hardest, he can have something known as an ‘autistic meltdown.’ ”

Koppleman described in detail Ralph’s extreme excitement to go on The Amazing Adventures of Spider-Man ride at Islands of Adventure. Because of the direction the family was walking, Spider-Man would be their final ride after traversing the park for a few hours. He asked after each ride if Spider-Man was next. “He was SO patient for SO long. As patient as he possibly could be,” Koppelman wrote. “He would say, ‘Okay’ and sigh, and then enjoy the next ride. But all the while, the excitement was building up to the pinnacle of his day: The Spider-Man ride.”

As the family approached the Spider-Man ride in the late afternoon and was about to get on, an employee announced that the ride was malfunctioning and would be closed.

. . .

“My husband and I know the signs. We could see it coming, like an oncoming train. And yet we couldn’t dodge out of the way. There was nowhere else to go,” she wrote. “The autistic meltdown was GOING to HAPPEN. And happen it DID.

Ralph collapsed to the floor while people were trying to leave the Spider-Man ride, “sobbing, screaming, rocking, hyperventilating, and truly struggling to breathe,” Koppelman wrote. But as Koppelman was trying to get Ralph up from the ground to protect him, something unexpected happened.

A ride attendant who had been working the Spider-Man ride rushed up and told Koppelman it was all right for Ralph to stay where he was.

“She got down on the floor WITH HIM,” Koppelman wrote. “She rested next to him while he cried his heart out, and she helped him breathe again. She spoke to him so calmly, and while he screamed and sobbed, she gently kept encouraging him to let it all out.”

The ride attendant, Jennifer Whelchel — known by her colleagues as “Mama Jen” — told people who were stopping during his meltdown to please move along, and she also asked strangers not to take pictures.

It was exactly what Ralph needed, and in fact, lying down with him is what teachers and other professionals are trained to do when autistic children are having these types of meltdowns, Koppelman said. But it was so unusual that someone without professional training knew what to do, she added. And perhaps that’s why when Koppelman posted her story on Facebook, the autistic community and many others exploded with support and cheers, many sharing their own stories of public meltdowns. Tens of thousands of people liked, commented and shared Koppelman’s story.

. . .

After about 10 minutes, which felt much longer to Koppelman, Ralph’s cries became quieter and he was able to regain control of his emotions. Whelchel asked him if he wanted a drink of water, which he did, and then she asked him if he wanted to sit up, which he also did. Ralph then gave Whelchel a high five, unprompted.

“I hugged her for the LONGEST time . . . several times, if I’m being honest,” Koppelman wrote.

More here:

https://www.washingtonpost.com/lifestyle/2019/06/07/theme-park-employee-lay-down-ground-next-an-autistic-boy-having-meltdown-her-act-solidarity-went-viral/?utm_term=.abe174ef3bd2

Archived