Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Random Thought Thread

stevenaa

5 minutes ago, Spaceman Spiff said:

tenor.gif?itemid=7551664

(FYI, I agree jury duty is problematic.  Just wondering where you were going with the "these people" part)

Everyone. I'm the evil genius, ****. 

😁

But yeah, poor word choice. Mea culpa.

Edit..and (in retrospect) I can see how that terminology might have  been originally conveyed. It was supposed to be a jokey rant (with some semblance of frustration) but it came off wrong. Again, my bad. 

3 minutes ago, The Evil Genius said:

Everyone. I'm the evil genius, ****. 

😁

But yeah, poor word choice. Mea culpa.

I've always wondered what it'd be like to be on a jury for a case that went on for several days, even a few weeks.  And all of the deliberating that went along with it.  

Part of me thinks "well, it could be interesting" and another part of me thinks "man, what a giant pain in the ass"

1 minute ago, Spaceman Spiff said:

I've always wondered what it'd be like to be on a jury for a case that went on for several days, even a few weeks.  And all of the deliberating that went along with it.  

Part of me thinks "well, it could be interesting" and another part of me thinks "man, what a giant pain in the ass"

Right now I statistically have a 1 in3 chance of having to serve. It's a smaller end by Friday trial, according to the judge.  Giant pain the ass though if you ask me. 

Oddly enough, if you're 70 and older you can ask to be excused from jury service in my county. Aren't these the people with the most free time? 😁

2 minutes ago, The Evil Genius said:

Right now I statistically have a 1 in3 chance of having to serve. It's a smaller end by Friday trial, according to the judge.  Giant pain the ass though if you ask me. 

Oddly enough, if you're 70 and older you can ask to be excused from jury service in my county. Aren't these the people with the most free time? 😁

Tell them you've got family in law enforcement, you'll get out of it.  Worked for me, but it wasn't a lie.

And they are the people with the most free time, however they'll miss half the trial because they have to keep getting up to use the bathroom.

4 minutes ago, Spaceman Spiff said:

I was on a jury when I lived in St. Louis that went on for over a week.  It was two technology companies trying to determine if company "B" had copied technology from company "A" of had they changed it just enough to be considered new technology.  It was VERY technical and boring.  But here's the clincher-after listening to this for several days, we went to the jury room to deliberate and just as we were beginning, they came in and told us there had been a settlement and we weren't needed.

ARE YOU ****ING KIDDING ME???  We had to sit and listen to that and NOW you settle?  You couldn't have done that a week and a half ago?!?  The judge gave us some spiel about how sometimes the lawyers read the jury and realize it's not going to go their way.  Yeah, no kidding, but you couldn't have seen that a few days ago?

Anyway, we all wished we could have at least had a say.

24 minutes ago, The Evil Genius said:

**** civic duty. Compulsory jury service is problematic. These people aren't my peers. 

I've lived in this particular county for 3+ years. Had to report for possible jury duty every year. 

random my ****ing ass

Ain't enough Alphas in America to convene a jury of MY peers. 

45 minutes ago, The Evil Genius said:

I was first alternate on a criminal trial about 7-8 years ago and when we reported for the first day of the trial (after a 3 day weekend), it had been pled. That's the closest I've come (until today) to being picked. But damn if I don't get that jury summons every year.

I got pulled for it back in 2009.  Luckily for us, they let us out at noon that Friday.  I never got asked to be interviewed by any lawyers, which wouldn't have mattered anyhow cause I'd have gotten dismissed.  The main case was a DUI but not due to alcohol (never said which drug) and I would have just told them that buddy was guilty in my eyes, ain't no way he didn't know better than to get ****ed up and hop in the car..........continue rant..........get dismissed the rest of the week.

That's what one lady did on day two, she went the hell off about drunk drivers, etc.  The dudes lawyer got pissed and told the judge to get her out of there.  She got dismissed the rest of the week.  I  had to sit there for four and a half days.  Boring as ****.

1 hour ago, The Evil Genius said:

**** civic duty. Compulsory jury service is problematic. These people aren't my peers. 

I've lived in this particular county for 3+ years. Had to report for possible jury duty every year. 

random my ****ing ass

Jury duty is our civic responsibility just as voting is. I've never tried to escape jury duty except for actively managing a proposal, which service never popped up during a proposal. I always reported but never served. One case was continued so no service that day. 

Now that I am retired, I'll happily serve if called. Don't know the policies here in Cedar Park TX.

1 hour ago, First Colony said:

I was on a jury when I lived in St. Louis that went on for over a week.  It was two technology companies trying to determine if company "B" had copied technology from company "A" of had they changed it just enough to be considered new technology.  It was VERY technical and boring.  But here's the clincher-after listening to this for several days, we went to the jury room to deliberate and just as we were beginning, they came in and told us there had been a settlement and we weren't needed.

ARE YOU ****ING KIDDING ME???  We had to sit and listen to that and NOW you settle?  You couldn't have done that a week and a half ago?!?  The judge gave us some spiel about how sometimes the lawyers read the jury and realize it's not going to go their way.  Yeah, no kidding, but you couldn't have seen that a few days ago?

Anyway, we all wished we could have at least had a say.

I'd have been like "Um, they didn't settle entirely....no one's consulted with us on how much we need for our time wasted."

19 minutes ago, LadySkinsFan said:

Jury duty is our civic responsibility just as voting is. I've never tried to escape jury duty except for actively managing a proposal, which service never popped up during a proposal. I always reported but never served. One case was continued so no service that day. 

Now that I am retired, I'll happily serve if called. Don't know the policies here in Cedar Park TX.

I'd be down if the government would pay more than $12 the first day and $20 the next four days.  ****ing lawyers make $$$ and the average annual salary for a judge in Charlotte is $160K.  For those whose employers don't offer their pay to serve jury duty, it would be more enticing for them to get paid at minimum what their hourly wage is or daily salary is.  

You got some people out there scraping by, making $12/hr and then get pulled to go sit in a courtroom for $12 for the entire day, then $20 the next four days (Total = $92).  One 40 hour week at work for them is $480.  They lose $388 to potentially be pulled to serve on a jury.  

I'm lucky, my employer offers jury duty pay so I don't loose wages, but still, I have a lot of work to do and it's easy to get way behind.  So, I can sit there like I did back in 2009 and be bored senseless, but not have to worry about losing wages.  Others though, don't have that comfort, depending on where they work.  

Thought I found a neighbor friend to spend some time with. After several incidents where she tried to bully me into siding with her on some relatively small personal issues, I figured out that she's a drunk most days. So I am really scaling back any contact with her. Which is too bad because our viewpoints are similar and her cat and my dog get along. 

Good thing I am comfortable with alone time plus I have my family. I don't like being around drunks and/or bullies.

Archived