Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Random Thought Thread

stevenaa

My oldest dog, ChiChi, 8 lb Chihuahua, 7 years old, most chill dog ever - ONLY plays with toys in two instances.

1) It's a brand new toy I break out. 

If he's never seen the toy - he's goin' Georges St. Pierre on that mufug.  Taking it down over and over again.  After 3 minutes, he's done with the toy.  Couldn't care less.  He's like, "whooped that one's ass, on to the next one."

2) I get pissed off.

If I get pissed off, and he's around, he is going wrestle and flip around with a toy as soon as I start to calm down.  Dude is a psychological master.  He knows that when I finally start dialing it down, he has an opportunity to make me laugh.

Son of a biscuit, it works.  Love him.

I remember going to see Robin: Prince of thieves as a 9 year old kid on 1991.  Sitting here watching a 30-something Costner and late 40s Freeman carry this God awful movie. But as a kid, it was magical. 

I have no idea what force it is inside me, but I have never been more passionate or more interested in my life than to chase down ghosts/memories of the late 80s and early 90s.  It overwhelms me.  

I caught the Tim Burton Batman a couple weeks ago. I remember watching it on tv (back when movies on tv was a big deal) around the time Batman Returns (the sequel)came out in theatres.

Probably hadn't seen it in 20 years. Man what a trip down memory lane. As a kid i thought those movies were like the greatest thing in the whole wide world

About to jump ship to a new company, but I have some reservations. Spoke to a recruiter, they've agreed to a 20k increase in salary, but i checked the company out on Glassdoor and they only got a 3 out of 5 stars. Plus I would be a consultant of the recruiting firm for six months before transitioning to the actual contractor. 

Im not thrilled with this position, but I'm also pissed about how my current company is doing things and the politicking going on. 

9 minutes ago, Gamebreaker said:

About to jump ship to a new company, but I have some reservations. Spoke to a recruiter, they've agreed to a 20k increase in salary, but i checked the company out on Glassdoor and they only got a 3 out of 5 stars. Plus I would be a consultant of the recruiting firm for six months before transitioning to the actual contractor. 

Im not thrilled with this position, but I'm also pissed about how my current company is doing things and the politicking going on. 

You come across as talented and motivated. You jumping into a contractor position because of the money, or you trying to hurry up and get out of where you at? 

17 minutes ago, Renegade7 said:

You come across as talented and motivated. You jumping into a contractor position because of the money, or you trying to hurry up and get out of where you at? 

Thanks, and a little bit of both. I definitely need the additional money. But my current company, which I'm grateful to work at considering they took a chance on me 4 years ago with no experience, has changed a lot and the people in charge are changing the office culture for the worse. 

It used to be a lot more laid back, management was easy to work with, and the environment was open to you learning and gaining more skills/knowledge. Now I'm dealing with an unprofessional manager who's idea of a joke is telling his staff their fired(seriously), upper management won't spend any money on training, and a power struggle between two directors has left my team directionless and confused on a daily basis. I gave it some time to see if it would correct itself, but it's probably time I looked out for me and moved on. Even if the other stuff got worked out, I'd still be underpaid and that's an issue I don't see getting resolved without changing employers. 

26 minutes ago, Mr. Sinister said:

Devil you know?

Ah, maybe. That's the part that makes me apprehensive. Maybe I need to leave, but this particular opportunity isn't the right one. Or maybe I need to stay. 

13 minutes ago, Mr. Sinister said:

Damn, its stuff like that where the idea of being your own boss becomes very appealing, though its hell starting out.

My first real job out of college was like that. I can't tolerate that, not unless im clearing $80k at least

Exactly why I'm looking. The compensation isn't good enough to have me tolerate the nonsense going on. 

24 minutes ago, Gamebreaker said:

Thanks, and a little bit of both. I definitely need the additional money. But my current company, which I'm grateful to work at considering they took a chance on me 4 years ago with no experience, has changed a lot and the people in charge are changing the office culture for the worse. 

It used to be a lot more laid back, management was easy to work with, and the environment was open to you learning and gaining more skills/knowledge. Now I'm dealing with an unprofessional manager who's idea of a joke is telling his staff their fired(seriously), upper management won't spend any money on training, and a power struggle between two directors has left my team directionless and confused on a daily basis. I gave it some time to see if it would correct itself, but it's probably time I looked out for me and moved on. Even if the other stuff got worked out, I'd still be underpaid and that's an issue I don't see getting resolved without changing employers. 

Ah, maybe. That's the part that makes me apprehensive. Maybe I need to leave, but this particular opportunity isn't the right one. Or maybe I need to stay. 

Anytime, bro.

I'm a firm believer that sometimes the only way to further your career, get the money/benefits you're looking for, and work environment you enjoy is to go somewhere else, been there, done that.  Based on what you're telling me, it's time for you to leave, and you know it. 

My best friend has seen the best and worst of contractor positions since he moved to the Carolinas.  You may be getting into a good contractor position, just make sure it isn't a situation where the contract can get changed or taken over by someone else and your *** out.  I still believe you can hold out for a salary position that pays you more as well, but I'm always reluctant to give someone money advice when they have more than just their mouth to feed.

You mentioned you could probably knock out the CEH if you wanted to, why not just do that, then see what's available with that on your resume?  You sound tired of the BS, not desperate to get out of there.

1 hour ago, Gamebreaker said:

Bruh... Don't let a rating have that much effect on you. You make your own decision based on what you're seeing. Plus, you control the effort that you put in. I feel like if you're good at you're job, you can overcome a lot of things.

9 minutes ago, Renegade7 said:

Anytime, bro.

You mentioned you could probably knock out the CEH if you wanted to, why not just do that, then see what's available with that on your resume?  You sound tired of the BS, not desperate to get out of there.

You may be right. Thanks for taking the time to respond. The recruiter has been opretty agressively pursuing me for the past two weeks. I may need to spend some time thinking about it before pulling the trigger. 

But if it's the same environment, just with more money, why bother leaving more job security for that? I could get the CEH and Security+ then see what happens. 

13 minutes ago, Gamebreaker said:

You may be right. Thanks for taking the time to respond. The recruiter has been opretty agressively pursuing me for the past two weeks. I may need to spend some time thinking about it before pulling the trigger. 

But if it's the same environment, just with more money, why bother leaving more job security for that? I could get the CEH and Security+ then see what happens. 

Anytime, man. 

Headhunters be like that.  A lot of DoD positions require Security+, and add CEH, you should get the money you're looking for with your experience no problem.

I'm kinda prepared for the path I've chosen there being politics and lack of resources devoted to the priorities nobody talks about.  If I'm making $100K+, which is entirely possible in cybersecurity, I'm not going to let it phase me, and ride it out until I'm self-employed and dealing with real estate.

On 8/30/2014 at 3:17 PM, Bubble Screen said:

Mary, you are aware you can be ticketed for driving too slow, right? It's especially dangerous to do so on the interstate. I would even argue those people are putting people more at risk than the guy doing 10-15 over in the left lane.

Left lane campers target of extra WSP emphasis this week

“There is no fast lane in Washington. It’s a passing lane,” Washington State Patrol Trooper Brooke Bova said.

“Nobody in Washington follows the left lane restrictions,” Bova said.

Washington state is one of 10 U.S. states to restrict travel in a freeway’s left lane only to passing vehicles.

This week WSP is ramping up enforcement of the law with an extra emphasis from troopers.

Bova said keeping the left lane clear can end up speeding up traffic flow.

“It takes so much longer if we have to fight people on the left to move right just to get to a collision,” Bova said.

WSP says it pulled over 16,453 left lane violators in 2016.

Click on the link for the full article and video

Archived