Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Random Thought Thread

stevenaa

It all boils down to this: Any mediocre team can be a WC. All it takes is a good turnover ratio and 2-3 lucky bounces of the football.

Sustained excellence takes years and years of good drafting, and good development, to where you develop a solid pipeline.

For some reason, football attracts really stupid fans. They constantly expect overnight success. Thats not how greatness is built. I want greatness. No more 5, 4, and 7 in a row or we don't go. I want home playiff games. Homefield advantage. And im prepared to see this thing through for the next 2-3 years.

Or longer.

It all boils down to this: Any mediocre team can be a WC. All it takes is a good turnover ratio and 2-3 lucky bounces of the football.

Sustained excellence takes years and years of good drafting, and good development, to where you develop a solid pipeline.

For some reason, football attracts really stupid fans. They constantly expect overnight success. Thats not how greatness is built. I want greatness. No more 5, 4, and 7 in a row or we don't go. I want home playiff games. Homefield advantage. And im prepared to see this thing through for the next 2-3 years.

Or longer.

Exactly how I feel man.  Which is why I like talking football with the minds in the RTT, we get it.  Sure, maybe a few disagreements over this position, that defensive scheme, etc.  But overall, everyone in here sees the big picture and agrees on what it will take to get there.

People in there acting like we are some 7-9/8-8 team the past 2-3 seasons on the cusp of making a run for a SB right now in two years.  We aren't.  Can Scot take us back?  I believe he can put us in the best position we have been in at achieving that goal in the past two decades, if he is given full control to do his thing, at least in the draft.

I'll probably should stop going into The Stadium too. I get too angry at the discussions, not to mention I'm probably gonna get myself banned responding to some idiotic post over there. 

It's also draining trying to make a point in there.  It's not that others don't agree with me, I care less about that at the end of the day, but they just start twisting what you say, deflect from backing up their statements with logical reasons for X, Y and Z, start attaching one to statements they never even claimed.

Then you have to respond and reiterate what you were saying, argue dumber points, and deal with whatever groupie poster jumps on you with the person you are debating.  

Sometimes, you get a good debate/discussion going on out of it with some of the good posters, most of the time though it just takes a nose dive.

Agreed on all points. If GMSM actually gets the full control he's going to need, we could be at least looking at a winning season in a couple years. Super Bowl? Sustained excellence? You need double that. The teams that win year in and year out are the teams whose depth comes from their own decisions in the draft. You need to establish a "The Redskins Way" type of situation, a protocol. Without that, you're nothing but a flash in the pan at best. You might pull out a playoff run or a few consecutive winning seasons by the skin of your teeth. But you won't be a New England. You won't be a Green Bay, a Pittsburgh.

This is why I cringe when I'm watching or listening to the local media interact with the fans. You'll get maybe one caller who ends up being logical and acknowledges that a rebuild takes time. But the rest by the middle of the season are outraged, yelling and screaming, and calling for heads to roll because one offseason hasn't produced a title. Also doesn't help that to get ratings those type of reactions are typically provoked by the way the topics are posed. Look at things right now. We haven't done **** in FA so far. Every FB post I'm seeing from CSN, The Fan, and the like are basically inflammatory. Why aren't they spending? Do you think it's a good thing that no moves are being made? Do you really think the right changes can be made through the draft? Is Scot crazy?

It's enough to make you slam your head into a wall. I don't like ****ty football. But there's a difference between that and a developing team. I'll watch a team of youngsters grow. But people will definitely mistake that growth for "The same old ****"." And it's infurating.

Id rather wait long term and deal with the growing pains rather than swing for the fences overnight and deal with the systematic shock/battered fan syndrome.

As long as I see clear direction, and a plan taking shape, I can dig it. We've tried everything else but this

I agree with you.

Also, I try to refrain from posting specifics about he team in the RTT. You never know what poster that you highly respect will mother **** you for your opinion about something as it relates to the team.

Please forgive me for posting this...

I'm all about them Terps, bout them Terps, no Devils.

I don't know why I thought of this, but I had to get it out. :(

I hope somewhere, some believer is praying for you.

How compliments work in the Goon household....

"I would totally post a pic of your butt in those pants on the thread if I didn't plan on meeting those guys one day." :P

Umm, ty? LOL

Flattery Goon style

Dont let him cross the RedBeast (guy who posted pics of his wife in provocative poses) threshold, Mrs G. There lies a realm that many men venture to, but never return.

LMAO, yeah, not going to happen.  Especially since she's on here a lot.  Goofing off online is one thing, getting cut off at home is quite the other.

If we continue these types if signings and have a good draft, I could see a small improvement to 6 or 7 wins. Small steps. Not expecting playoffs.

Yep, I think it takes at least two drafts and FA periods to improve to a team in the playoff hunt.  Assuming his magic draft skills carry over to this team.  

Archived