Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Random Thought Thread

stevenaa

I thought this would be the appropriate place for this: 

I work in IT, and I just finished checking in all the IT equipment from a disgruntled employee who was having her last day. She felt she was underpaid, but did a good job of covering it up for the most part and people thought she was just leaving for a job which was closer to home and a better fit for her skills. Most people at my job, the normal ones, were nice to her. So it comes as no surprise to me that when I was finished receiving her equipment, people expected her to say goodbye. Nope. She walked right out the door and didn't look back. 

Now maybe I'm old fashioned, but IMO, she just burned some serious bridges. And she likely doesn't care, and feels like her new job will be her last place of employment. But she left a bad taste in a lot of mouths here, and she's likely not going to get a recommendation or referral down the road if she needed one. 

Networking is very important when it comes to your professional career. 

I wrote this below in reply to jpage yesterday, but held it back. But since this keeps going on and more questions arise, we'll do a PSA/tutorial (all your guys' fault!  :lol:)

<<lots of wise musings...>>>

But I do choose to get away from ES for a week (or month) every so often and recommend the same to others as a regular exercise. 
<<more wise musings...>>>
How much of all this dysfunctional back-n-forth all this time was faux and how much was real on his end matters in his life, but becomes much less material when evaluating his content and affect in the forum. So yes, he's gone for good and whatever the deal is, I only wish him well.
<<lots of wise musings...>>>
The site makes it clear what a member's priority is right on the rules page. I suggest all members take the time---stretch it out---to really read/know the rules.

I feel like i am reading Dostoyevsky when i read this.... :)

I am not certain if the high inquisitor tortured the incarnated jesus or not...   but it sounds like Glasses got a well deserved week-or-month break to work on his studies and tinder skills... and there were many behavioral lessons that the rest of us are welcome to learn!   

Agreed. In the production industry, you're only as good as your last gig. And what you know is always overshadowed by who you know. So networking is paramount.

I've never believed in burning bridges if not necessary. I obviously understand there are special circumstances. But it never hurts to always try and paint yourself in a good light, even if it's your last day.

bad decision on her part.  Why throw away future references?  As you said, one can never know where their career might take them, no never burn your bridges.  :rolleyes:

Most states have a law that says only neutral references can be given. At most they can state if they are eligible for re-hire or not.

As for burning bridges...I'm sure that matters based upon the industry, and how tightly knit it is. I switched jobs a few years ago. I left on good terms. Didn't make waves during my exit interview. I knew they would take me back if the new gig didn't work out. But even if the new gig went sour, I wouldn't return. I left for a reason. I wouldn't willingly put myself back in that position. Trust me, I get what you all are saying, but i don't think it's always short-sighted on behalf of the one leaving.

Now maybe I'm old fashioned, but IMO, she just burned some serious bridges. And she likely doesn't care, and feels like her new job will be her last place of employment. But she left a bad taste in a lot of mouths here, and she's likely not going to get a recommendation or referral down the road if she needed one. 

Some people just aren't big enough. I never understood the desire to burn bridges. It does nothing positive and can only be negative.

You can always go all "Office Space on the printer" or an effigy of the company in private. 

And while many companies will only provide verification of employment and not a negative reference because of possible liability, many will answer, "would you hire them again?".

And in many industries there are reasonable odds of at least one of your former co-workers being at a future possible employer. A good HR department will be aware of former employment industry for everyone and ask around. LinkedIn for Recruiters may even have a feature for this.

I posted bits and pieces here about a house I bought. A forclosure/renovation. Everything is up and running on the house. Cost me about $10k more out of pocket than I was expecting. Stuff that couldn't be rolled into the loan. But it is what it is. When we got the snow last week, I was sitting in my kitchen, looking out into a snowy woods landscape. Saw a deer running through the woods. There will never be buildings there as it's state park land.

My heating bill was A LOT More than I expected. There are still some things I want to change. And will in time. But I love my new house.

And I have to thank the SOB who stole my lawnmower last May out of my padlocked shed in my backyard. Without that act of pure doucebaggery, I never would have had to push to finally sell my house. I know a lot of people don't believe in a higher being. But it seems there was a chain of events that started with that theft. We actually lost out on the house we bought twice. But both deals with the bank fell through, and the house was ours. We didn't get a contract on our house until a few days before we settled on the new house.

Sorry for the rambling, but I'm a happy man right now.

I thought this would be the appropriate place for this: 

I work in IT, and I just finished checking in all the IT equipment from a disgruntled employee who was having her last day. She felt she was underpaid, but did a good job of covering it up for the most part and people thought she was just leaving for a job which was closer to home and a better fit for her skills. Most people at my job, the normal ones, were nice to her. So it comes as no surprise to me that when I was finished receiving her equipment, people expected her to say goodbye. Nope. She walked right out the door and didn't look back. 

knowing NOTHING about the situation... some people just hate social situations, and HATE being the center of attention.   There is a fair chance that she wasn't trying to be overtly rude, just avoid being awkward (and perhaps save everyone else from the awkwardness as well)

that said.. these are the situations where in spite of feeling awkward you do it anyway.   Nobody likes going to funerals .. but they do it anyway, because it is important (in the case of funerals, to make others aware that YOU are aware of THEIR loss, and YOU care....).   Social training is important. 

Most states have a law that says only neutral references can be given. At most they can state if they are eligible for re-hire or not.

As for burning bridges...I'm sure that matters based upon the industry, and how tightly knit it is. I switched jobs a few years ago. I left on good terms. Didn't make waves during my exit interview. I knew they would take me back if the new gig didn't work out. But even if the new gig went sour, I wouldn't return. I left for a reason. I wouldn't willingly put myself back in that position. Trust me, I get what you all are saying, but i don't think it's always short-sighted on behalf of the one leaving.

Of course. The truth always lies somewhere in the middle because the two perspectives always paint their own picture. It's definitely circumstantial. But as you said, it depends on the industry. You could be pissing off somebody that knows somebody else that's important in your new position or your pursuit of other positions. Always gotta be wary of that.

I see what you're saying, I just can't see any reason to burn bridges unnecessarily. 

Here's a good example of what I mean. Another employee recently returned to my job after being gone for a little over a year. Dude left because his boss was a major asshole that no one liked. He was the third person to leave because they couldn't work with him. That boss ends up getting himself fired eventually. Because this employee left and remained on good terms with everyone, he was offered an even better position and came back. I'm sure if left the way she did, or similar, he wouldn't have been approached when a position he was qualified for opened up. You just never know what the future has in store. 

I posted bits and pieces here about a house I bought. A forclosure/renovation. Everything is up and running on the house. Cost me about $10k more out of pocket than I was expecting. Stuff that couldn't be rolled into the loan. But it is what it is. When we got the snow last week, I was sitting in my kitchen, looking out into a snowy woods landscape. Saw a deer running through the woods. There will never be buildings there as it's state park land.

My heating bill was A LOT More than I expected. There are still some things I want to change. And will in time. But I love my new house.

And I have to thank the SOB who stole my lawnmower last May out of my padlocked shed in my backyard. Without that act of pure doucebaggery, I never would have had to push to finally sell my house. I know a lot of people don't believe in a higher being. But it seems there was a chain of events that started with that theft. We actually lost out on the house we bought twice. But both deals with the bank fell through, and the house was ours. We didn't get a contract on our house until a few days before we settled on the new house.

Sorry for the rambling, but I'm a happy man right now.

k5343840.jpg

Congrats Rictus. Speaking of houses, I'm gonna sign off and visit the bank on the way home to wire my mortgage payoff.  :D

sheesh man, that must be a great feeling!

got any leftover dough?  could you pay off some of my mortgage too while you're at it?  ;)

The truth has long been that one can enjoy a very wide latitude of posting behaviors here (obviously) and be fine. It's usually pure excessive and repeated self-indulgence (which includes continued ignorance of the rules) that gets people in serious trouble. 

The site makes it clear what a member's priority is right on the rules page. I suggest all members take the time---stretch it out---to really read/know the rules.

We went to extreme lengths to get that guy to chill out on here. 

He just wouldn't listen.

Good luck Moco.

Knucklehead.

sheesh man, that must be a great feeling!

got any leftover dough? could you pay off some of my mortgage too while you're at it? ;)

Couldve sworn he works for NASA or something, making bank Maybe he could throw me some dough so I can replace my alternator, which has my car on ice

I feel like i am reading Dostoyevsky when i read this.... :)

I am not certain if the high inquisitor tortured the incarnated jesus or not...   but it sounds like Glasses got a well deserved week-or-month break to work on his studies and tinder skills... and there were many behavioral lessons that the rest of us are welcome to learn!   

Funny mentioning Dostoyesky when simple English seems to challenge us all, often enough.  :lol:

For instance, whatever you meant to say with the inquisitor/jesus stuff (I can guess) and the rest, it read rather opaque to me. :huh:

And if by "Glasses" you meant moco, you didn't read my post very carefully as I stated he was gone for good, not for a week or a month.  

BTW :ph34r:, when talking about the rules in that post, I edited out a comment where I noted that even guys that have been here forever can be so <whatever> that they will violate rules like #11 that have been so emphasized in so many threads devoted to the matter and innumerable in-thread warnings (aside the fact everyone is instructed to and agrees to read and follow the rules when they register) that it's amazing that one could post here for months, let alone years, and not know it.

Given you just did that, and not for the first time, tell me in your specific case, is it unawareness born of laziness or lack of interest, or are you aware of the rule and just don't care?

Know that you, too, are one of my many "favorite posters"  :) ---not that it pays any particular dividend.  :P

Archived