Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

247Sports: Josh Norman benched during Redskins' blowout loss

brandymac27

https://247sports.com/nfl/washington-redskins/Article/Josh-Norman-benched-by-Redskins-123089530/

At one point in his NFL career, Washington Redskins cornerback Josh Norman was emerging as perhaps the best shutdown corner in the league. Those days might as well have been forever ago.

The former First-Team All-Pro, in his third year in Washington, was one of the many Redskins players who contributed to a downright putrid blowout loss to the New Orleans Saints. Early in the game, a holding penalty on Norman turned a three-and-out for the Saints into a touchdown drive. And then, towards the end of the half, Norman not only gave up a 62-yard touchdown pass to wide receiver Tre'Quan Smith - He wasn't anywhere near him.

Following the half, Norman did not play the first defensive series of the second half, and Redskins head coach Jay Gruden revealed after the game that he had benched him in an effort to calm him down after an exchange during halftime.

More at link....

Thoughts?

He blew the coverage on that record breaking TD. When they showed the replay, it looked like everyone else was playing cover 3, but Norman sat down like he was playing cover 2. That’s why the WR was so wide open. I donÂ’t know if he didnÂ’t hear the play call, if he was cheating and trying to read Drew Brees and expected the pass to be thrown short, or if he just flat out executed the wrong defense. Either way, he was out of position allowing an easy TD to New Orleans. 

I’d be curious as to what he would say that would get him benched. When you fail at doing your own job on such a high profile play, you shouldn’t be saying anything. Ironically, they put in the rookie who get torched. He ran the right play, he just wasn’t good enough to keep up. 

Norman should be a leader on this defense. He should be a vocal leader. But if he called out someone else or his coaches or just reacted negatively for being called out for messing up, that’s not leadership. 

Josh is a good corner, just not elite, at least for for us. That first year he was getting lots of pass deflections but each year since...his guy is more wide open. Time for him to go...”if we had a damn backup plan”.

21 minutes ago, Redskin4ever said:

He blew the coverage on that record breaking TD. When they showed the replay, it looked like everyone else was playing cover 3, but Norman sat down like he was playing cover 2. That’s why the WR was so wide open. I donÂ’t know if he didnÂ’t hear the play call, if he was cheating and trying to read Drew Brees and expected the pass to be thrown short, or if he just flat out executed the wrong defense. Either way, he was out of position allowing an easy TD to New Orleans. 

I’d be curious as to what he would say that would get him benched. When you fail at doing your own job on such a high profile play, you shouldn’t be saying anything. Ironically, they put in the rookie who get torched. He ran the right play, he just wasn’t good enough to keep up. 

Norman should be a leader on this defense. He should be a vocal leader. But if he called out someone else or his coaches or just reacted negatively for being called out for messing up, that’s not leadership. 

I'm really curious to know what was said too. Honestly, I think this move reflects more on Gruden than Norman regardless of what was said, so I'm personally withholding judgment on Norman. I say this because I honestly don't have much faith in JG, and I really feel like this team needs some people to light a fire under their asses, even if that includes the HC.

As fans we hate drama. But if that drama means somebody is pissed about being mediocre and trying to light that fire, then I'm all for it. 

The guy is just another example of what this perpetual battle to get to 9-7 portends. He's a player, like many before him, that a smart team would move on from a year early rather than a year late. Especially when you know it's not your year to contend. Maybe you could have traded him for some draft capital, but at the least, we could have saved some cap space. Instead we pay him a ton even when he reaches a point where he's no longer worth nearly what we're paying him. Just because maybe he makes us a little better in the now and maybe that's enough to save some people their jobs for another year. And that's more important than trying to build something.

10 minutes ago, Vanguard said:

I just saw that Michael Thomas put out a tweet on Josh that pretty much said "I made your boy check out after the first half."

?

Just disrespectful!!  I'm actually mad for Josh Norman.

On 980 they just said Thomas was talking a bunch of **** or doing shady crsp during the game pissing our D off. After the game he's been tweeting crap too like you posted. Maybe that had something to do with whatever Norman said to get him benched?

5 minutes ago, brandymac27 said:

I'm really curious to know what was said too. Honestly, I think this move reflects more on Gruden than Norman regardless of what was said, so I'm personally withholding judgment on Norman. I say this because I honestly don't have much faith in JG, and I really feel like this team needs some people to light a fire under their asses, even if that includes the HC.

As fans we hate drama. But if that drama means somebody is pissed about being mediocre and trying to light that fire, then I'm all for it. 

Maybe Norman should stop playing at a mediocre level if he wants to help the team be better than mediocre.

The whole thing is a ****storm and there's plenty of criticism to go in all directions, Gruden included but Norman is paid like an all-pro and playing like a scrub. The defense crashed and burned tonight with dumb penalties extending Saints drives 3 times in the first half - I think all 3 put another 7 points on the board. Norman got torched on the record TD and sucked most of the half.

Maybe he should quit whining like a little **** and strap up and play big boy football if he wants us to improve. 

1 minute ago, UKskins said:

Maybe Norman should stop playing at a mediocre level if he wants to help the team be better than mediocre.

The whole thing is a ****storm and there's plenty of criticism to go in all directions, Gruden included but Norman is paid like an all-pro and playing like a scrub. The defense crashed and burned tonight with dumb penalties extending Saints drives 3 times in the first half - I think all 3 put another 7 points on the board. Norman got torched on the record TD and sucked most of the half.

Maybe he should quit whining like a little **** and strap up and play big boy football if he wants us to improve. 

And I can't knock anything you just said. I think this whole **** show falls more on the HC and FO than anything else which really pisses me off because I don't see that aspect changing any time soon.

16 minutes ago, -JB- said:

Just another guy who fleeced the Redskins out of way too much $$.  Bet he wishes he didnÂ’t listen to his dumb ass family and sign with the Skins tho.  His other option was the Saints ?

Pretty sure he cant hear you with the " cha-ching" sound effect going off in his head. Not sure why his family would be mad he got PAID..

That being said I'm sure he blew two coverages if not more in that 1st half including that one TD to the TE at the goaline.. I mean you gotta send a message after a first half like that collectively..

So weird to see these guys mad about whatever Michael Thomas was pulling/saying. That's Norman and DJ's whole thing. Now they're pissed and thrown off their game by a little of their own medicine? 

What did we say about OBJ when Norman similarly got under his skin? That he was mentally weak, and it's part of Norman's game. So...

3 minutes ago, Playaction2Sanders said:

Pretty sure he cant hear you with the " cha-ching" sound effect going off in his head. Not sure why his family would be mad he got PAID..

Wait who said anything about NormanÂ’s family being mad ?? thatÂ’s a strange thing to bring up ?

6 minutes ago, Playaction2Sanders said:

That being said I'm sure he blew two coverages if not more in that 1st half including that one TD to the TE at the goaline.. I mean you gotta send a message after a first half like that collectively..

I agree, but if that's the case, why didn't JG just admit he benched him because of his play, or lack thereof, instead of saying he needed to cool Norman off after a verbal exchange? 

42 minutes ago, Playaction2Sanders said:

I never said he Family was mad.  I said they were dumb by pointing towards Damn snyder & the Washington football club. He could have been paid by a way better organization.  The Saints.

6 hours ago, dyst said:

Josh is a good corner, just not elite, at least for for us. That first year he was getting lots of pass deflections but each year since...his guy is more wide open. Time for him to go...”if we had a damn backup plan”.

I’m tired of hearing how “good” Norman is but just not elite.  Has the guy made a play in 2 years???   This is 2 weeks in a row that receivers are running by him for wide open TDs.   If his name wasn’t Josh Norman we would be begging for this guy to get benched or cut.  I’d be fine getting some young guys experience at this point because unless the Skins are complete imbeciles (which is likely) Norman is gone after the season anyway.  He’s the worst corner on the team.

I have no problem with benching Norman for performance.

But consistency is what makes or breaks locker rooms.

Why were Alex Smith and Montae Nicholson still playing? If I'm not mistaken, the play in question was the record breaker. Weren't the Saints in a trips look to that side of the field? Why would you play cover 3 to the trips side of a field?

Maybe I'm remembering the formation wrong, though.

6 hours ago, ConnSKINS26 said:

So weird to see these guys mad about whatever Michael Thomas was pulling/saying. That's Norman and DJ's whole thing. Now they're pissed and thrown off their game by a little of their own medicine? 

What did we say about OBJ when Norman similarly got under his skin? That he was mentally weak, and it's part of Norman's game. So...

My thoughts exactly. So they get bent after an opponent said mean things after toasting them?  Child please.  I hate Josh Norman, I have hated him since he arrived here. I find his antics with OBJ a distraction from the game, his play has never matched his mouth his entire time in DC.  

Archived