Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

2018 Season Injury News

ColonialWBSkinsFan

12 minutes ago, Hail4Life said:

**** my life.  I really was holding out hope he was the missing piece to this offense.

I always thought the missing piece was Jordan Reed...

Now we tore 2 ACL in one game. Sounds like a good way to start the season.

Thumbs up guys!

I don't think I've been this disappointed about this team in a long time and that's saying something, here's the reality. We have Jags at WR and RB and we have a great TE that hasn't been healthy in 2 years.  We have no dynamic players on this offense and our O line cant run block.

CT has broken as many bones as Evil Knievel and he could be one hit away at any time.

I want to blame somebody so bad right now but how can I, it happens and those injuries are nobody's fault but I do think if this was a business I would dissolve it and reopen under another brand.

With so many years of injuries 'bad luck' just won't cut it for me. Coaches almost live season to season and it's their job to prepare the team to win, weather that's backups or starters. If the coaches can't game plan and/or motivate backups, then they shouldn't have the job. If the backups are so untalented then the GM/scouts shouldn't have a job. There has to be ownership over items that we currently just clump into us saying: 

good-grief-1-638.jpg?cb=1411372092

At the end of the day it's an ugly game and the circumstances are never perfect. If we as the fan base are waiting for the team to be healthy, play in great weather, have a great schedule, etc... then we mind as well adopt that mentality and change the team name to 'Washington Excuses'.   

This really pisses me off and while I shouldn't mention it I can't resist I have wanted them to draft guys to open up the 1, 2 and 3 holes instead of yet another running back.  Oh yeah, this one is magical and doesn't need bigger 1, 2 and 3 holes.   ACL in the first preseason game, WTF???

5 minutes ago, Veryoldschool said:

This really pisses me off and while I shouldn't mention it I can't resist I have wanted them to draft guys to open up the 1, 2 and 3 holes instead of yet another running back.  Oh yeah, this one is magical and doesn't need bigger 1, 2 and 3 holes.   ACL in the first preseason game, WTF???

We have a knack of drafting talented guys fall due to medical/durability concerns. As fans we get pretty excited over these 'value' picks. The team then compliments this strategy by not having depth, so when the higher injury probability player gets hurt we are boned.  

3 minutes ago, Vanguard said:

I can't take it.  Honestly, I was more excited about Guice being here than having Alex Smith.  I believed Guice was going to make that much of a difference.  :(:angry:

Maybe this is just me, but I didn't.

We've been seeing this Jay Gruden offense for a few years and one thing is clear, he runs a lot on first down (I believe last year was 3rd most at just over 68% of the time). This makes sense, because you get favorable 'run focused' defensive fronts and can typically get 2-5 yards on a quick passing play. This also helped Kirk be a stat hog, despite being a 'good, but not great' QB. The unfortunate side affect is that the run game doesn't get the same number of chances to get going.

Let's think of last year. We had Rob/Perrine, who are both are big, bruising backs which in theory would get stronger as a game goes on. Neither really had the opportunities to get it going. Who's been our most successful RB the past 2 years? It's been Chris Thompson, who is a receiving mismatch and typically runs the ball against pass heavy defensive fronts. I think Guice is far more talented than Rob/Perrine, but also think he's built in the same mold. He's a grinder who wears down a defense.

Overall I think Jay just values getting the QB in a groove over the RB (which isn't a horrible choice). By offensive design I just don't think Guice would ever get the opportunities to really see his potential. I could be wrong, but I just don't see Jay fundamentally changing his philosophy over the talent of a RB. 

11 minutes ago, redskinss said:

Any latest news on ionnidis? 

Seemed last we knew that he was ok but we thought that about guice and then the axe fell. 

I'm really hoping he's going to be ok

I think Ionnidas is fine. His looked worse than it actually was.

It sucks, for sure, but I don’t think Guice is the kind of guy who would give you a completely different season. We were all really excited, me included, and of course we’ll never know the impact he may have had but it’s not like he’s Barkley. The chances that he would make a massive difference doesn’t seem as high to me as some people are making it out to be.

Anyway, now it’s time for the staff to earn their paychecks and figure out the running game without him. If I hear “Well it’s hard because we don’t have Guice” I will f’ing lose it.

1 hour ago, redskinss said:

Any latest news on ionnidis? 

Seemed last we knew that he was ok but we thought that about guice and then the axe fell. 

I'm really hoping he's going to be ok

2-3 weeks (which, ironically, was supposed to be the timetable for Guice, and guice being done for the season looked like that was going to be Matt Ioannidis. 

10 minutes ago, carex said:

hopefully the line stays healthy and we have an adequate running game

This simple post says it all with regards to an effective running game.  The facts speak for themselves. 

Neither NE or PHI had 1,000 yd rushers last year.  Both were in the top 10 in overall rushing per game last year.  

PHI was 3rd and NE was 10th.  PHI had Bount who rushed for 766 yards and 2 TD's.  NE had Lewis with 896 and 5 TD's.  Both teams averaged 4.3 and 4.2 yards per carry comparatively.  These teams averaged 29.43 rushing attempts per game.  To be make the playoffs, statistics show you have to rush for between 1,889-2,226 yards for an average of 2,043 per season.  

In 2017, the Redskins were 28th in Team rushing.  Rushing for 1,448 ypg on an average of 25 attempts per game, and 3.6 yards per carry.  To close the distance that average statistics show as a requirement to be competitive into the post season, they've got to close the gaps.  

1-  Have to rush the ball more (at least 5 more attempts per game)

2-  Those attempts need to be more affective (requiring an increase of 1.1 more yards per carry) 

When you solve 1 and 2 you'll get #3 and ultimately land in the top 10.  This would be the equation for fixing the running game.  

The paramount factor for rushing the ball more affectively comes from the line.  Can't dispute that.  Additionally, you only need a combination of RB's to achieve this success.  I don't believe that there is a need to add anyone to the roster to affectively achieve the desired result.  It comes down to a healthy Offensive Line to affectively run more often and average an additional yard per carry.  This lands on the Coaching and Training Staff.  

7 hours ago, benskins26 said:

Another season of Rob and Perrine. Can't wait. 

Kelley only played in seven games.  Perine was around for the full season but didn't touch the ball in three games and had less than ten carries in five others.  The fact is we have barely seen these guys

12 minutes ago, carex said:

Kelley only played in seven games.  Perine was around for the full season but didn't touch the ball in three games and had less than ten carries in five others.  The fact is we have barely seen these guys

Sadly, there's a reason for that. Both seem to find a crowd at the LOS and hang out there until they get tackled. Bursting through a temporary hole seems like a foreign concept. I doubt that will change with those 2 this year. Holding out hope for B.Marshall

OK, I am pretty pissed right now on this injury to Guice. I am reading   per Ian Rapport @Rapsheet. Guice suffered a hyper extended knee at LSU and never got surgery on the same knee he injured  in last nights game. I guess I am  going to piss some people,but this scenario smacks of a RG 3 scenario  where RG 3 had a bum knee and ownership looked the other way and hoped RG 3 knee would not be an issue. Here we are again wishing in one hand and - - - - in the other hand. Hail:247:

Archived