Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

2018 Redskin's Major Injury Thread (Robert Davis Added)

nonniey

Figure this would be a thread we can reference through the season.  ( Only post injuries that cause a loss of 4 games or more). Last year was awful and we are off to an early start this year. (Note in Preseason only add those thought to have a reasonable chance to make the team).

#1 OG Kouandjio is out for the year with a torn quad (11 May 2018).

#2 RB Derrius Guice torn ACL out for season (9 August 2018) - (Was hoping I wouldn't have to bump this thread so soon).

#3 WR Robert Davis Broken Leg/Torn LCL. out for the year (9 Agust - reported 11 August).  

38 minutes ago, nonniey said:

#1 OG Kouandjio is out for the year with a torn quad (11 May 2018).

The out for the year part isn't official as of now, but it sure doesn't look good. Especially for someone that could have used all the preparation to earn the roster spot.

6 minutes ago, NeverSurrender said:

And this is why they resigned Lavauo......

That is a point of view you can find in related articles in BHRBN. Though I believe it doesn't really matter, why would they have waited to tell about Kouandjio's injury then? So I doubt this is why they signed Lauvao.

After all, Kouandjio was cut prior to the 2017 season, so it's not like he was a lock at the LG position. Lauvao is to me right now. Until TC proves us all wrong.

So injury list starts bad, just like Galette 2 years ago, crunching his knee on the first of TC. But this is not exactly happening to one of our cornerstone player.

We are awfully thin at LG and C. I guess the good thing is that if we incur any more injuries we can pick up anyone off the street and there wouldn't be any drop off... Still, fingers crossed that Kalis steps up. And Roullier also. And neither gets hurt all season. Why does that all sound impossible.

1 hour ago, FireInHisBelly said:

Does anyone know if we're bringing back the same strength and conditioning cast as last year? Do you think that impacted all of the injuries that we had last year or was it all just bad luck?

We send young Chucky Gruden to his dad in Las Vegas

I don't think you can simply blame a coach for this. Listen to the radio personalities discuss the current dump that makes up the training facility. They don't even have a basketball court let alone anything looking like a top notch facility. The leadership is completely out of touch with the importance of training facilities. Colleges have way better training equipment and places to practice then the Redskins do. If the Redskins were in the college ranks they would never get any of the top recruits because those kids pay attention to that and it's a deciding factor for where they go. The rookies go from top notch training facilities to a complete dump here. We hear stories about the team finally getting a practice bubble, when the rest of the football landscape did that a decade ago. They don't put money into this because they can't turn a profit on it imo. Either way if this sounds weird to you go ask Chris Cooley and other former players if I am wrong if you don't believe me

Here is an example of the care the team management puts into the facility

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/1479385-fedex-field-and-the-worst-stadiums-in-nfl#slide0

Much has been made this week about the terrible playing conditions at FedEx Field for the NFC Wild Card game between the

Seattle Seahawksand Washington Redskins.

For a playoff game, it was surprising to see how poorly kept the turf, or lack thereof, was by the grounds crew.

Viewers probably noticed that the field was very green, almost too green, until play began. Within minutes, the middle of the field was brown. Obviously, something wasn't right.

As you can see in this video taken by Seahawk Michael Robinson on his phone, the groundskeepers of FedEx Field literally threw some flakes of grass on top of dirt and spray painted the entire field bright green.

Things like dilapidated fields, lack of any sort of good work out areas, practice bubbles that deflate on themselves in any sort of inclement weather these things play a part in all of these injuries. Even the best coaches can't get over this sort of crap

What exactly does Snyder spend the money from this organization on? Is he just waiting for a new Stadium? No joke the place looks so dated. After a billions years, they finally got a bubble field.

Yeah, one would think that every professional football team should have facilities and resources that are at least on par with the top notch college football programs.  Gotta be kind of a headscratcher coming from a big time program on the first day at Redskins Park.  Obviously these guys are making more money than they could ever imagine, so they'll deal.  Still not a good look for the organization.

4 minutes ago, dyst said:

What exactly does Snyder spend the money from this organization on? Is he just waiting for a new Stadium? No joke the place looks so dated. After a billions years, they finally got a bubble field.

Failed investments like theme parks, arena football teams, radio stations...showing that he doesn't just fail at owning the Redskins, he is a failure at life. 

2 hours ago, FireInHisBelly said:

Does anyone know if we're bringing back the same strength and conditioning cast as last year? Do you think that impacted all of the injuries that we had last year or was it all just bad luck?

I don't recall where but we had a pretty good discussion about this at the end of last season. 

My take is that most of the injuries we had last year were not preventable through S&T. I think it was @WIldbunny who said if anything, S&T shortcomings resulted in poor run blocking. I'd agree with that.

Here is insight into how OL routinely get hurt (getting rolled up):

https://www.si.com/nfl/2014/08/29/offensive-lineman-injuries-luke-joeckel

No amount of conditioning lets you avoid that.

Hail

2 hours ago, CTskin said:

We are awfully thin at LG and C. I guess the good thing is that if we incur any more injuries we can pick up anyone off the street and there wouldn't be any drop off... Still, fingers crossed that Kalis steps up. And Roullier also. And neither gets hurt all season. Why does that all sound impossible.

Go back and watch Roullier's work in the second half last year. He is The Scherff's Mini Me in training. I have zero worries about a healthy Chase Roullier. I'm praying Welsh works out. He has a few bad habits (based on limited observation so far) but if he's coachable they can be fixed.

26 minutes ago, MassSkinsFan said:

Go back and watch Roullier's work in the second half last year. He is The Scherff's Mini Me in training. I have zero worries about a healthy Chase Roullier. I'm praying Welsh works out. He has a few bad habits (based on limited observation so far) but if he's coachable they can be fixed.

Roullier was average, which is as good as we could have asked for a 6th round rookie. Every year we've hoped/assumed that promising rookies would take a leap in their sophomore years and many times it hasn't happened.

Let's be realistic and look at our crop at LG and C: Roullier, Luavao, Kalis, Welsh, Bergstrom... The talent in this group is questionable at best, let's call it what it is. Sure, we can look at this optimistically and hope that they improve this offseason, but that's a coin toss at best. Putting any weight in an undrafted center kind of proves my point.

We have plenty of cap space to steal a vet camp cut, so I imagine we'll be adding a few more pieces over the next couple of months.

3 hours ago, FireInHisBelly said:

We are, exact same team still in the building, with the exception of an assistant, Deuce Gruden, that left.

Ironically this entire staff was hired prior to the start of last season, so their only complete season in their current jobs was last years debacle.

Archived