Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Press Release: #REDSKINS ANNOUNCE 2018 SCHEDULE

TK

Jeez some of you are negative, at least wait until preseason to think our season will be “over by November 12th” or whatever ? 1, the draft hasn’t happened yet. 2, any team can have injuries between now and when our games are scheduled that can have an impact in some way. Waving the white flag now is silly :) I’m glad none of you are in charge of the team  

On 4/20/2018 at 5:11 AM, Renegade7 said:

I expect either that Jax or Philly game in December to get flexed if we're relevant, no way they stay 1PM if we're in playoff contention and they are two, those matchups are sweet.

The only thing I like about this schedule is the first two games give us a chance to ease ourselves into the season (defense is typically ahead of offense at that point in the season).  I hate the rest, especially our last four games.  Early bye and 4 of our last 6 are on the road?  If we don't have it figured out by then, we probably won't, helluva way to come down the homestretch. Ugh.

It's a rough schedule for sure - I am happy with one element of it though - given that we knew we'd have to play tough opponents, only two Primetime games is a HUGE win for all of us UK based fans.

I'm a teacher so literally have no chance of seeing the Skins in the US unless it's over Christmas, due to vacation schedule and our season is normally done by then (although there is a restructuring of vacations coming which means I should get chance to come over in October next year onwards), so it really matters to me when we are on the late kick off as I can't watch them in term time - If they are going to flex one of those games then it needs to be Philly. Jags being flexed out of watching range for me if we are relevant would drive me crazy. I'm off work when the Philly game happens so that's fine.

23 hours ago, goskins10 said:

Nothing wrong with this schedule. Last year there were all kinds of crazy stuff - way too many short weeks and unusual days. This year really nothing except Thanksgiving. But that is actually good as it provides a kind of mini bye going into Dec. Even the early bye is good this year. Lot's of new moving parts. Will be good to have the bye early to make corrections. 

Who we play is never a problem. The schedule itself like last years weird back to back Thurs then a 5 day week going from a MNF game to a Sat game. Let's play football! 

\

7-9 team having the 3rd hardest schedule in the league is a  bit wrong to me, having the bye after week 3 is clearly a handicap.  

2 hours ago, Darrell Green Fan said:

7-9 team having the 3rd hardest schedule in the league is a  bit wrong to me, having the bye after week 3 is clearly a handicap.  

I don't even know how the dude ConnSKINS cited in his post arrived at us having the 3rd toughest schedule in the league. Since 2002, we play teams in our division, every team in a division in the AFC, every team in another division in the NFC, and two other teams in the other NFC divisions based on where they finished. It is what it is.

As for the bye, we had later byes from 2014-16, so who cares if we now have a couple seasons with an early bye. And I remember 2005 under Gibbs. We started 2-0, but our offense looked like crap, as it did in 2004. We had an early bye and came back and the O looked like night and day afterwards. With a new (albeit a vet)QB taking the reins for us in 2018, an early bye might be similarly beneficial in case things are haywire early on. 

2 hours ago, Darrell Green Fan said:

\

the schedule is pre determined.  actually having a 7-9 record made our schedule a bit easier since we play the other 2 NFC 3rd place teams.  I think we got a early break because we get another 10 day break in November. 

8 minutes ago, skinfan2k said:

the schedule is pre determined.  actually having a 7-9 record made our schedule a bit easier since we play the other 2 NFC 3rd place teams. 

Dude, c'mon.......the league SCREWED us by giving us Rodgers while the Cowboys play the Lions. Gotta keep up with the conspiracies!!!!  :ols:

Eager to see how we come out for that first game, specifically the preparation and game-planning. Those have been disappointing and severely lacking. We've lost every season-opener under Gruden, and have looked terrible doing it --- lost to the Texans, Dolphins, Steelers, and Eagles. For some teams, a season-opener is just a working-out-the-kinks kind of exercise. For Gruden, it has been a real tone-setter of adverse proportions. Hope we come out rockin' and rollin' in Zona.

Can't wait to see how Smith looks and operates in this offense, and how he utilizes Doctson.

5 hours ago, Darrell Green Fan said:

\

The supposed 3rd hardest is not data driven - just what they think. They call it based on talent. The actually strength of schedule which while not a perfect metric is at least supported with data. Based on that the Redskins play the 14th hardest schedule - or basically average.  Either way, you have to beat who is in front of you. If we want to be a championship team it should not matter who we line up against. 

As for the bye - normally I would agree - although someone has to have a bye then. But this year with all the new players - especially a new QB, an early bye gives the team to do an early evaluation and make adjustments before the schedule gets away from you. Also, due to the Thanksgiving Day game, we have a mini bye later in the season. 

Just really not a lot to complain about. It's as fair a schedule as we have had in years. 

10 minutes ago, skinzplay said:

Eager to see how we come out for that first game, specifically the preparation and game-planning. Those have been disappointing and severely lacking. We've lost every season-opener under Gruden, and have looked terrible doing it --- lost to the Texans, Dolphins, Steelers, and Eagles. For some teams, a season-opener is just a working-out-the-kinks kind of exercise. For Gruden, it has been a real tone-setter of adverse proportions. Hope we come out rockin' and rollin' in Zona.

Can't wait to see how Smith looks and operates in this offense, and how he utilizes Doctson.

I agree. I want to see 60 minutes of intense football, not just the first week but every week. Would be nice to start 1-0 for once. 

My initial thoughts:

1. Since the opponents and locations of games has been known since January, the "strength of schedule" hasn't changed at all.

2. PLEASE don't forget that there are only 2 games a year that are different between the divisions.  The entire division plays the NFC South and the AFC South.  Of the 8 teams in those divisions, There were 5 playoff teams last year (Saints, Falcons, Panthers, Jags, Titans).  All 4 NFC East teams have to play them.  

Sure, the home/away of those games are different, so whoever gets New Orleans at home is a little better off than those who get them in NOLA, for example.  But they teams are the same.  And good teams can win on the road against good teams. 

The only 2 games which are different are the finish-order based for the NFC North and the NFC West.  We drew 'Zona, Philly drew the Rams.  Dallas gets to play Seattle.  That's fair.  The NFC North is a bit complicated because GB probably would have finished better than third had Rodgers been healthy.  But those are the breaks.

3. The early Bye is somewhat off-set by the late season "bye" between the Thanksgiving game and the next game, which is a MNF game.  It's not quite 2 full weeks, but Thursday to following Monday is a really good break late in the season.

4. I'm actually glad we're opening on the road.

5. I have a renewed interest in Andrew Luck's shoulder.  Given how early that game is in the season, it will be interesting to see if he's actually going to star the season.

6.  4 of the first 6 are at home, and actually 4 of 5 if you discount the opener. Overall, in the first half of the season,they have 5 home games, 3 away, and obviously the back end they have 5 away games and 3 home.  

7. I'd prefer not to come OFF of a bye and play MNF.  I'd prefer to play MNF, then go on a buy.  Or come off of a bye and play Thursday.  Preference.  

8. This might be for a different thread, but Arizona is a MUST WIN opener.  They didn't draw a division opponent, or one of what looks like the tougher teams on teh scheduled.  They open with a team who has a new coach and a new QB.  They better damn win that game. It would be Gruden's first opening game win... 

9. 4 of the last 6 are on the road, starting with the Thanksgiving game.  In that span, they play 2017 playoff teams in 4 of them (Phiy, Jax, Tenn, Phily)

10. They have no 3 game home or road trips, though I'm pretty sure that "no 3 game road trips" was a new thing this off season.

11. No home prime-time games. YIPPEE!!!

12. Romo will likely call the October 21st 'Skins vs. Cowboys game.  "Ohhhh ho ho!!  Here we go Jim!!!!!"

13.  You never know who's going to be good and who's not going to be good, but the schedule is set up to start quickly, and they better run up the record before the end of the season.  If they are going to get to 10 wins and the playoffs, they need to take advantage of the early home-game run.  

There's no real way to know, but you'd think they'd have to get to something like 6-2 in order to avoid must-win division road games in the back half of the season. You don't want to go into Thanksgiving NEEDING wins at Dallas and turn around at Philly to stay in contention.  I don't think that's very likely, but they REALLY need to start quickly and win home games. GB is a great example of a game that if they're going to get into the playoffs, they need to win.  It's early in the season and it's at home.  The Packers have Rodgers, but they aren't a great team apart from that.  We saw that when Rodgers was out...

Another is the Panthers at home, which has been a nightmarish match-up for them.  However, it's at home.  

The schedule hasn't changed my opinion that in order to get to 10-6 and make the playoffs, they have to at least go 3-3 in the division, go 6-2 at home, which means they need to make some hay against GB, Carolina, Houston, Indy and the Falcons.

Then if they split on the road and go 4-4, they're still in reasonable position.  With the stack of home games early really emphasizes the need for a fast start. 

Other than the early bye week, I think this is as good as we could get as far as a schedule...

The furtherest west we go is Arizona and we open with them...go out and get the win against a new coach and big question mark at QB.

Road games at Tennessee and Jacksonville, not exactly known for a homefield advantage.

Get the Packers, known for a huge homefield advantage, and Panthers at home.  Granted, flip side of that coin, we are not known for a homefield advantage.

Minus division games, our toughest road test will be New Orleans and if healthy, I like our chances down there.

Consider the 1:00PM starts...7 of 8 at home...Gibbs would approve, of course, if in contention, flex can play in.

Would have preferred the bye to be later but really, this lines up about as good as one could expect. Not thrilled playing on Thanksgiving the 3rd year in a row but eh, whatever, don't fear Dak and the Cowboys like 2 years ago.

On ‎4‎/‎20‎/‎2018 at 7:04 AM, hail2skins said:

I will never understand why Super Bowl teams aren't in the top quarter of this chart - mind boggling.

More mind boggling is the lack of AFC teams in the top half of the chart.  I see two in the top seventeen.

The bottom thirteen is all AFC.

Archived