Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Bruce Allen/GM Thread

Makaveli

1 minute ago, Skinsinparadise said:

My thoughts are Allen still has his teeth in this team and like I said IF another team comes along and signs Kyle Smith away from us as their GM, the Skins are in trouble, BIG trouble! We let our former OC go to LA and he will be successful for a long time. I think the same thing could happen IF Smith is signed by a team to be their GM.

Bruce is a joke.

Got lucky with Jay, who is even-tempered and underrated as a coach. 

Pushed out Scott because he was getting too much credit and then blamed it on Scott's drinking. Even if Scott was partying like mad, it's not like Bruce is some teetotaler (or however you spell that word). 

Doug Williams... great player. But no one was beating down his door. The kind of guy who will voice his opinion but only to an extent. 

Bruce is great at one thing: protecting himself at all costs. 

41 minutes ago, RWJ said:

My thoughts are Allen still has his teeth in this team and like I said IF another team comes along and signs Kyle Smith away from us as their GM, the Skins are in trouble, BIG trouble! We let our former OC go to LA and he will be successful for a long time. I think the same thing could happen IF Smith is signed by a team to be their GM.

Maybe wishful thinking, but Dan at least saw what a legitimate talent evaluator like Scott being brought in could do. Fan base was jazzed as they should be. I’d be shocked if Dan having brought in Lafameina (spelling) and the smoke about Bruce being phased out doesn’t amount to a guy like Smith getting the GM title. I’d be pissed if they let Smith walk out the door, very pissed.

17 hours ago, Hooper said:

Pushed out Scott because he was getting too much credit and then blamed it on Scott's drinking. Even if Scott was partying like mad, it's not like Bruce is some teetotaler (or however you spell that word). 

Then why would Bruce bring him here in the first place ?

On 11/14/2018 at 2:45 PM, Hooper said:

To save his job. Danny was under pressure to do something. And then when things looked on the upside, Bruce came up with a reason to shiv Scott.

I think Scott was fired here for the same reason he was fired everywhere else.

At this point, I don't really care about McCloughan anymore.

How do think Doug Williams is doing at his position so far ?  If you think he's done pretty well, then we should expect Bruce to be shoving Doug out the door any day now, right ?

3 hours ago, Spearfeather said:

I think Scott was fired here for the same reason he was fired everywhere else.

At this point, I don't really care about McCloughan anymore.

How do think Doug Williams is doing at his position so far ?  If you think he's done pretty well, then we should expect Bruce to be shoving Doug out the door any day now.

Hard to judge Doug. I'm rooting for him, but it's not like anyone was beating down to his door. Classic Danny hire. Fits the Redskins tradition so it works with the fans, but not a guy in demand. To be fair, there's no evidence Danny can attract an in demand candidate. Scott had major issues obviously. Bruce was done in the NFL when Snyder came calling. And before that was Vinny.  The word has long been out on the Skins organization -- you don't go there if you have any other options.

But hey, things have definitely changed for the better in some ways. I give the credit to Jay more than anyone else. He has the perfect demeanor for this franchise -- has eliminated a lot of drama by simply refusing to buy into it. 

Just now, Califan007 said:

Um...Allen was announced as the challenge consultant back in 2014, Gruden's first year here. I'm surprised this guy didn't know that. It's not exactly a secret lol...

We've heard it multiple times from beat guys and an insider here, too. But dont recall a coach or Bruce himself ever confirming it.

2 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

We've heard it multiple times from beat guys and an insider here, too. But dont recall a coach or Bruce himself ever confirming it.

I remember it being mentioned in a presser or interview...I'll look for it (maybe lol).

This is from a WP article in November of 2014:

"Gruden is 0-for-the-season on coach’s challenges, though Redskins replay consultant Bruce Allen, who also doubles as the team’s president and general manager, deserves some of the blame."

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/dc-sports-bog/wp/2014/11/04/will-redskins-head-coach-jay-gruden-ever-win-a-coachs-challenge/?noredirect=on&utm_term=.ef85d1b8f02a

Since Gruden is called a "rookie head coach" I'm assuming this was also written in 2014, but then updated in 2016- https://www.foxsports.com/nfl/gallery/the-longest-streaks-of-failed-challenges-by-nfl-coaches-111814

Screen Shot 2018-11-15 at 7.32.05 PM.png

This was in 2014..apparently Gruden said it so that must have been where I first heard it:

Mike JonesVerified account @ByMikeJones

Bruce Allen is up in the booth assisting on replay decisions.

Grant PaulsenVerified account @granthpaulsen 21 Sep 2014

Replying to @ByMikeJones

@MikeJonesWaPo Really? That's a wacky. Haha. Why is he doing that?

Mike JonesVerified account @ByMikeJones 21 Sep 2014

@granthpaulsen Not sure. Gruden said in the preseason that Bruce would have that role.

On ‎11‎/‎13‎/‎2018 at 7:47 PM, Hooper said:

Bruce is a joke.

Got lucky with Jay, who is even-tempered and underrated as a coach. 

Doug Williams... great player. But no one was beating down his door. The kind of guy who will voice his opinion but only to an extent. 

Bruce is great at one thing: protecting himself at all costs. 

Some people SWEAR that Bruce Allen has 20 fingers, being he's so good at pointing to others for his mistakes.

Archived