Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

2017 - 18 Stanley Cup Champion Washington Capitals Thread

ixcuincle

38 minutes ago, mammajamma said:

Just wanted to check in to see how everyone is doing in here. Everyone feeling good? I'm on my honeymoon in Italy and had to stay up till 5am (2am start) to watch the Caps advance to the cup final. Definitely worth it, but grateful for this layoff to get a few more nights of sleep before Monday. Feels weird to have a break from hockey knowing there's more to come. Can't wait

Feeling fine.  I know the team *can* do it, it's just a matter of them executing.

Well, unless MAF decides to be the hottest goalie of all time, which is a thing goalies tend to become when facing us.

But that's half of this.  It's MAF.  He's, like, the final boss.

But the team seems pretty loose.  Ovi literally could not be separated from the Prince of Wales trophy, he probably literally banged his wife while holding it over his head, while most other teams and players view it as bad luck to even touch the thing.  He's loose as ****.

1 hour ago, DogofWar1 said:

Feeling fine.  I know the team *can* do it, it's just a matter of them executing.

Well, unless MAF decides to be the hottest goalie of all time, which is a thing goalies tend to become when facing us.

But that's half of this.  It's MAF.  He's, like, the final boss.

But the team seems pretty loose.  Ovi literally could not be separated from the Prince of Wales trophy, he probably literally banged his wife while holding it over his head, while most other teams and players view it as bad luck to even touch the thing.  He's loose as ****.

Well we were talking about Holtby and his career all time NHL best numbers in playoff history at 2.01 and like .927 (guessing cause I'm lazy and don't feel like looking up that one atm but it's right around there) and Fleury right now for this post season is sitting at like .947 and 1.67 GAA. He is on fire. Him being off for a week I can only see as a benefit. Caps are going to have to light him up and get into his head because MAF is the main reason they are in the SCF.

17 hours ago, ixcuincle said:

i think the round 3 recap is already out. they set the highlights to dramatic music it's great

If it's out they haven't posted it to their YouTube channel yet. They posted game 7 but they normally will wrap it all up with a 15-20 minute video.

4 hours ago, Zazzaro703 said:

Well we were talking about Holtby and his career all time NHL best numbers in playoff history at 2.01 and like .927 (guessing cause I'm lazy and don't feel like looking up that one atm but it's right around there) and Fleury right now for this post season is sitting at like .947 and 1.67 GAA. He is on fire. Him being off for a week I can only see as a benefit. Caps are going to have to light him up and get into his head because MAF is the main reason they are in the SCF.

If it's out they haven't posted it to their YouTube channel yet. They posted game 7 but they normally will wrap it all up with a 15-20 minute video.

now it's out

Just watched an interview of Bryce Harper on the NHL channel, he seems to be a pretty big knights fan but I remember seeing a picture of him in a caps jersey once. I know he’s from Vegas so that must put him in an odd spot going for Vegas when you’re the face of Washington’s baseball team. He said he was going to Game 4 in a knights jersey. I wonder how fans will react. 

6 minutes ago, maxspruill21 said:

Just watched an interview of Bryce Harper on the NHL channel, he seems to be a pretty big knights fan but I remember seeing a picture of him in a caps jersey once. I know he’s from Vegas so that must put him in an odd spot going for Vegas when you’re the face of Washington’s baseball team. He said he was going to Game 4 in a knights jersey. I wonder how fans will react. 

There was a Post article about 2 weeks back talking about how cool he found it thag Vegas had its own team and now he gets it, what fandom means. 

Bryce is near or at the top of the NL in HR and RBI but only batting .233. I think he's preoccupied with the Knights and should be benched until the SCF are over.

Here's a Bryce story, including him dropping the puck before a Caps-Knights game in December:

https://www.mlb.com/cut4/bryce-harper-is-excited-to-cheer-on-the-vegas-golden-knights-in-the-stanley-cup-finals/c-277821708

1 hour ago, maxspruill21 said:

Hes dead to me

Something I have been pondering....

1. The media (outside of DC mostly) are saying that the VGK has faster players. Their players get to the puck fast. They are making it seem like the Caps have no chance in this. So how you slow down a fast team... hit them hard and often. This will slow them down. It surely slowed the Lightning down a bit. No?

2. Did we beat the Pens because they didn't have Fluery?

Thoughts?

Not sure. ESPN and NHL pretty much split down the middle on who will win. Theories on why Vegas itself has the VGK as series favorites range from home ice to Vegas trying to cover itself due to the futures bets it'll have to pay out if VGK wins.

Tough to say what'll work against the speed. People thought the physicality of LA, SJ, and Winnipeg would conquer VGK and it didn't happen. I think Caps have some decent speed of their own.

MAF has historically been a mixed bag in the playoffs. This year's version would've and will be tough to beat. But Holtby also been outstanding recently.  But VGK also not having the defensive breakdowns that the Pens seemed to have this year.

5 hours ago, Popeman38 said:

1990 - make the ECF for first time ever, get swept by Boston

1998 - make ECF and win; make SCF for first time ever, get swept by Detroit

2018 - make the ECF and win; make SCF and...

I’m just saying there’s a pattern...

Caps are bucking a lot of trends this year.  This may be just one more thing that could change as well.  We'll see.

Still can't decide whether Vegas or Caps are better this series. Vegas is damn good...but again so was Tampa and the Caps beat them. The honesty is Columbus was the only team the Caps were expected to beat easily. Pittsburgh at the time before the series started was "better", Tampa was too. And the Caps beat them both. 

As I stood at practice watching a crowd of nearly 6,000 cheer their team on, it finally dawned on me that this team had finally won the East. I saw it like everyone else on TV, but it all seemed a dream. There was something that didn't seem real about it. Did they finally win the East? As I stood there with my camera, it finally started to hit me. They did it. You could see because of the massive crowds at the send off. You could see all the merchandise at Potomac Mills, at Lids, at Modell's...

I stood there at Modell's just staring at all the conference champions shirts they had, letting it all sink in. And then tears began to swell in my eyes. Tears of joy. It was like, they finally did it. After all this time, after four years of me attending nearly every playoff game, after nearly two decades of watching this team... I asked for one of those red Eastern Conference shirts but they didn't have any. The hype had taken full effect. 

7 hours ago, SAli457180 said:

Caps are bucking a lot of trends this year.  This may be just one more thing that could change as well.  We'll see.

You missed the point. Caps get swept first time making the ECF, win the next time. Caps get swept the first time they make the SCF...

Pattern holding is we win the whole damn thing.

2 hours ago, Springfield said:

I refuse to buy any Eastern Conference Champion merch.  I don’t knock anyone else who does it, but to me that just advertises second place.  Win a cup and I’ll buy as much of that merch as I can.

I'm the same way. Celebrate it sure, but buying conference champion merch? Kinda lame.

On 5/25/2018 at 11:31 PM, hail2skins said:

You definitely should visit Vegas if you haven't been. Pretty tough not to have fun there.

Cant see how there should be any animosity between the two fanbases. Vegas is in a different conference so it's not like there is going to be a longstanding rivalry with the Caps. Think it's cool that Vegas has embraced this team......the winning has surely helped, but cool that their practices are apparently always packed as well. I think the Vegas fanbase relationship with the expansion Knights is going to be different than when the existing Raiders come in 2020. Vegas may also get an NBA team relatively soon, and they are building a new ballpark for the AAA team there.

My Thrashers went back to Canada. 

Please forgive me for ****ing that the Carolinas can support a team and win a Cup, but Atlanta has failed. 

Archived