Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

PFT.com: Washington promotes Greg Manusky to DC, Hires Jim Tomsula as Dline Coach. Hires Torrian Gray as DB coach!

zCommander

Links: 

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2017/01/22/washington-promotes-greg-manusky-to-defensive-coordinator/

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2017/01/23/report-jim-tomsula-to-washington-as-line-coach/

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2017/02/04/reports-torrian-gray-will-coach-washington-secondary/

After all the rain and the dance. We had a great D coach right on the staff. Amazing!

Welcome Greg to the team. :D

Welcome Jim Tomsula to the team! :)

Welcome Torrian Gray to the team! :) 

HTTR!

Just now, Voice_of_Reason said:

I'm interested in the assistant coaches.  I am hoping when they do the official press release, they'll announce the entire staff.

You'd think they would be this has been a very long process so anything goes as far as I can see at this point.

Just now, Area51 said:

Congrats to Manusky.  Let's give him some more talent and let's see what he's capable of.

Key also because Scot M. is known for drafting BPA and we need a lot of help on D.  He'd better get BDPA (best defensive player available) in my opinion in both FA and draft

I think the biggest piece is what kind of talent upgrade we do through free agency and draft. It seems current players really do like him so hopefully he can at least motivate and instill discipline in the locker room.

Hopefully soon we hear the rest of the assistant coaches and this isn't just some "Eh, hire to have someone until next season" type of hire.

Manusky DC Rankings

San Francisco 2007-2012

2007 25th YPG - 20th PPG - 19th 3rd Down %

2008 13th YPG - 23rd PPG - 12th 3rd Down %

2009 15th YPG - 4th PPG  - 10th 3rd Down %

2010 13th YPG - 16th PPG - 19th 3rd Down %

San Diego 2011

2011 16th YPG - 22nd PPG - 32nd 3rd Down %

Indianapolis 2012-2015

2012 26th YPG - 21st PPG - 14th 3rd Down %

2013 20th YPG - 9th PPG  - 15th 3rd Down %

2014 11th YPG - 19th PPG - 2nd 3rd Down %

2015 26th YPG - 25th PPG - 17th 3rd Down % 

I just hope he puts players in positions to succeed and gives young players a chance early instead of waiting until the vets playing poorly in front of them cost our team wins.  That was Barry's biggest failing IMO.  Let's hope the vets on the team aren't breathing sighs of relief this morning.

1 minute ago, dckey said:

Manusky DC Rankings

San Francisco 2007-2012

2007 25th YPG - 20th PPG - 19th 3rd Down %

2008 13th YPG - 23rd PPG - 12th 3rd Down %

2009 15th YPG - 4th PPG  - 10th 3rd Down %

2010 13th YPG - 16th PPG - 19th 3rd Down %

San Diego 2011

2011 16th YPG - 22nd PPG - 32nd 3rd Down %

Indianapolis 2012-2015

2012 26th YPG - 21st PPG - 14th 3rd Down %

2013 20th YPG - 9th PPG  - 15th 3rd Down %

2014 11th YPG - 19th PPG - 2nd 3rd Down %

2015 26th YPG - 25th PPG - 17th 3rd Down % 

It will be interesting to see if Scot give him the pieces he needs. 

Hiring Manusky over Pettine makes no sense to me.  Manusky's track record is not impressive by any means.  Pettine had some good numbers with his defenses, and is only available for failing to turn the Browns around as a HC (no easy task).  Manusky is available because 2 different franchises fired him for poor performance, and he was on the staff for our poor defense last year.  But hey, at least our GM has already worked with him.  God forbid we bring in someone from the outside for a fresh perspective (never mind the better track record).

GMSM, Gruden, and Allen again choose to go with familiarity over more reputable outsiders, and if the Skins show no improvement next season after adding some key pieces on defense (which I am assuming they will), it will be hard to make a case for keeping anybody on the coaching staff moving forward.  And GMSM will have to be held accountable as well. 

I consider this a solid hire, but not an exciting or inspiring one. He was able to get good production out of Indi despite poor talent and had okay results elsewhere. 

I think the thing I like best is his connection to the glory years. This is our second coach with a Gibbs connection (and I'm not totally sure McCardell counted.)

Go get 'em, Greg! Prove the doubters idiots. 

Archived