Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

What's your favorite/least favorite Led Zeppelin album?

Spaceman Spiff

What's your   

32 members have voted

1. 1. What's your FAVORITE Led Zeppelin album?

• I
    • II
    • III
    • IV
    • Houses of the Holy
    • Physical Graffiti
    • Presence
    • In Through the Out Door
    • Coda
    • Live: The Song Remains the Same
    • Live: BBC Sessions
    • Live: How the West Was Won
  2. 2. What's your LEAST FAVORITE Led Zeppelin album?

• I
    • II
    • III
    • IV
    • Houses of The Holy
    • Physical Graffiti
    • Presence
    • In Through the Out Door
    • Coda
    • Live: The Song Remains the Same
    • Live: BBC Sessions
    • Live: How the West Was Won

Inspired by the movie threads we've had lately....

For me, I always end up listening to III.  Great blend of hard songs (Immigrant Song, Out on the Tiles), blues (Since I've Been Loving You) folk (Gallow's Pole) and country (Tangerine).  So many different genres and it all fits together effortlessly.  

As far as the least favorite, I will say In Through the Out Door.  It's terrible.  I've tried so many times because I know people like it but it doesn't come close to any of the rest of their stuff.  

I think Presence is really underrated, too.

Of course, Physical Graffiti gets a slight not over The Song Remains the Same, Live.

To be fair, it is a double album, so that helps out.

Great thread and I'm happy to discuss the greatest rock and roll band any time. 

Long Live Zeppelin.

Well, I think that 1, 2, 3, 4 are superior.  I think that 1 is the best... at the moment.  Led Zeppelin is an always evolving band for me.  Right now, I prefer the bluesy sound of 1.

The later albums are usually my least favorite.

The Beatles are my favorite album of all time, however Led Zeppelin is hot on their tail.

Favorite band, alongside Rush.

Physical beats out Zep 1 by a slight margin.  Zep 3 is my least-favorite, and I still like it.

I'll forever-point out that In Through the Out Door is the most underrated album of all time to me.  It always wins the "least favorite" category.  Baffling.  Think it's because it's the last and most modern offering from them.  "All My Love" has a synth sound that isn't appealing to some, but "In the Evening" is right there as one of my very favorite songs of all time.  Top 10 perhaps.

1 hour ago, Riggo-toni said:

IV is the most overrated, outside of Stairway

IV is quickly touted as the greatest by a lot of casual fans, so I see your point.  I think they see Stairway, Black Dog and Levee and say "how on Earth could I go wrong?"  Yet, the rest of the songs on that album are also freaking awesome.  "Going to Cali" isn't exactly my cup of tea, but the rest of the album kicks my ass up and down the street.  Battle of Evermore and Four Sticks are fierce.  Misty Mountain Hop?  Love it.  LZ 4 is definitely a great album.

Houses of the Holy is a blast to listen to and my favorite album by the band. What a rush The Song Remains the Same is; if you listen to it after When the Levee Breaks it's like the sun breaking through after a hurricane. Even the album's weakest tracks are incredibly entertaining and a spit in the face to everyone who said the band took themselves too seriously. One of my favorite warm summer day albums to kick back and have a beer/joint with.

I voted for Coda as least favorite because it was available as an option, but I don't consider it an album.

Here's a crazy way of thinking about Zeppelin albums:

Many songs were cut from earlier albums, and added to Physical Graffiti.  This, in a way, gives it an unfair advantage.  Because even though the songs were cut, they are Zeppelin songs and therefore, are awesome.

So you have 800 songs on Physical, and like 8 on all the rest of the ****ing things.  It's like, c'mon.

So here we go.

Take away from Physical Graffiti:

The Rover (recorded for Houses of the Holy)

Houses of the Holy (a song which was cut from the album it's named after)

Bron-Yr-Aur (recorded for Led Zeppelin III)

Down by the Seaside (recorded for Led Zeppelin IV)

Night Flight (recorded for Led Zeppelin IV)

Boogie With Stu (recorded for Led Zeppelin IV)

Black Country Woman (recorded for Houses of the Holy)

You have now, Physical Graffiti's original recordings as:

Custard Pie

In My Time of Dying

Trampled Underfoot

Kashmir

In the Light

Ten Years Gone

The Wanton Song

Sick Again

That's still a SICK album.

That's how good Physical Graffiti is.

Kinda with you on 3.  Hard to believe it wasn't liked so much when it came out. "that's the way" is one of my favorites.

As far as "in", I do love in the evening. One of the best intros, leading up to one of pages classic crushing guitar riffs. And all if my love is really beautiful. Ya, almost all synth and little guitar, but plants amazing on it. It's also about his kid who had died, fwiw. 

The first 10 tracks on physical, as a whole, are pretty great. It really spans the entire zeppelin range from really heavy (kashmir) to soft and beautiful (Bron yr aur) and everything in between. 

9 hours ago, d0ublestr0ker0ll said:

Bull****.  Spaceman.  Stop it man.  You got me with one of these moves a couple months ago and I'm not letting you do it again.  YOU'RE terrible.

Hmph.

Well, "In The Evening" is a fantastic song, there's no doubt about that.  

South Bound Suarez is pretty good, too.  Fool in the Rain sounds like nails on a chalkboard, as does All of My Love (hey, you said it yourself about that synth). Hot Dog, are you kidding me?  Sounds like something goofy that they were ****ing around with and decided to throw it in as a gag.  Carouselambra falls in with Fool in the Rain and All of My Love with that triumphant sounding synth, it kills me.  I'm Gonna Crawl is a decent blues song but it lacks structure and just kinda meanders about with no direction.  It's a decent song that I can listen to but they've done the blues way better in so many other albums and it doesn't save the rest of the dreck that this album is for me.  So aside for two songs that I can listen to the rest of the album just sucks in my eyes.  You couldn't put the remaining six songs on any of their other albums and have them fit in with the rest of their work.  The synth sound on "The Ocean" is amazing but nothing on Out Door stands up to it.  I'm Gonna Crawl could never take the place of Since I've Been Loving you or anything off I or II.  Hot Dog is just an abomination and couldn't fit on any other album, anywhere.  

And I get it, Plant had the car accident, and his son died a couple years before and he wasn't in the mood for big bombastic tracks or anything really hard hitting.  And I also think every band deserves a mulligan (or two).  It just sucks that their mulligan is their last one because there's no telling about how they'd have treated the 80s and what else they could have done.  From what I've read over the years, they were going to make a return to heavier and louder music in the next album before Bonham died.  

Song Remains the Same is my favorite and the version of the Rain Song on that album is probably my favorite song of all time.  The solo on No Quarter from that album is also what I consider the best guitar solo of all time.  Would give just about anything to have been old enough to have been there.  

Coda is the only album from Zep that isn't worth having.  Greatest band of all time.  Yes that's a lot of all time greatests but it's Zeppelin. 

Archived