Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

What's your favorite/least favorite Led Zeppelin album?

Spaceman Spiff

What's your   

32 members have voted

1. 1. What's your FAVORITE Led Zeppelin album?

• I
    • II
    • III
    • IV
    • Houses of the Holy
    • Physical Graffiti
    • Presence
    • In Through the Out Door
    • Coda
    • Live: The Song Remains the Same
    • Live: BBC Sessions
    • Live: How the West Was Won
  2. 2. What's your LEAST FAVORITE Led Zeppelin album?

• I
    • II
    • III
    • IV
    • Houses of The Holy
    • Physical Graffiti
    • Presence
    • In Through the Out Door
    • Coda
    • Live: The Song Remains the Same
    • Live: BBC Sessions
    • Live: How the West Was Won

22 minutes ago, Spearfeather said:

Voted Physical Graffiti, with III and Houses a close second

Voted Presence although Achilles Last Stand is great. Bonham just crushing it.

Achilles is great, as is Nobody's Fault But Mine. Loved the version on the O2 reunion concert.

1 hour ago, Ron78 said:

Never liked Zeppelin.  Most overrated rock band in history.

Sacrilege! Now after a claim like that, why do you feel that way? You are certainly entitled to your opinion. As an example, I can't stand most of what the Beatles have done, but can recognize their impact and talents. I just don't connect with what they've done like I connect with the Stones.

Just now, Busch1724 said:

Sacrilege! Now after a claim like that, why do you feel that way? You are certainly entitled to your opinion. As an example, I can't stand most of what the Beatles have done, but can recognize their impact and talents. I just don't connect with what they've done like I connect with the Stones.

Zep was a great band, however, saw them in 77 at the Cap center and it was one the worst 'live' concerts i have experienced. 2 1/2  hours late & warm up act only played for 1/2 hour and john bonham plays a 45 minuter timpani solo. 45 minutes!! Clearly wasted.

6 hours ago, Busch1724 said:

This one was tough! Voted for II as my fave and Coda as my least fave.

However, Houses may have gotten the vote had Houses of the Holy and the Rover been included over The Crunge and No  Quarter. 

You don't like no quarter? 

3 hours ago, Ron78 said:

Never liked Zeppelin.  Most overrated rock band in history.

Insanity. 

Play 'I' through 'in through the out door' straight thru and tell me you feel the same. 

I did see them in 1995 when it was just page plant... which was incredible. 

They had the whole Cincinnati orchestra with them for Kashmir and it went on for around 30 minutes. 

that was some surreal ****.

they also had an Egyptian group with them playing something that looked like a jack in the box.. they all had 10 min solos which I could have done without. Still freaking awesome.

16 hours ago, Spaceman Spiff said:

Well, "In The Evening" is a fantastic song, there's no doubt about that.  

South Bound Suarez is pretty good, too.  Fool in the Rain sounds like nails on a chalkboard, as does All of My Love (hey, you said it yourself about that synth). Hot Dog, are you kidding me?  Sounds like something goofy that they were ****ing around with and decided to throw it in as a gag.  Carouselambra falls in with Fool in the Rain and All of My Love with that triumphant sounding synth, it kills me.  I'm Gonna Crawl is a decent blues song but it lacks structure and just kinda meanders about with no direction.  It's a decent song that I can listen to but they've done the blues way better in so many other albums and it doesn't save the rest of the dreck that this album is for me.  So aside for two songs that I can listen to the rest of the album just sucks in my eyes.  You couldn't put the remaining six songs on any of their other albums and have them fit in with the rest of their work.  The synth sound on "The Ocean" is amazing but nothing on Out Door stands up to it.  I'm Gonna Crawl could never take the place of Since I've Been Loving you or anything off I or II.  Hot Dog is just an abomination and couldn't fit on any other album, anywhere.  

And I get it, Plant had the car accident, and his son died a couple years before and he wasn't in the mood for big bombastic tracks or anything really hard hitting.  And I also think every band deserves a mulligan (or two).  It just sucks that their mulligan is their last one because there's no telling about how they'd have treated the 80s and what else they could have done.  From what I've read over the years, they were going to make a return to heavier and louder music in the next album before Bonham died.  

Here's my man Spaceman Spiff

tripping-o.gif

TRIPPIN'

So you agree In the Evening is a great song.  I like that.  YOU like that.  I respect yall for liking that song.  It gets lost in the smear campaign Spaceman is spearheading for the dark side.

Then you kind of just gloss over South Bound Saurez like, "let's just forget about this one".  Okay.  So that song is a down-home beastmode groove from the boys, with Plant huffing and puffing.  By the way, he sang his ass off on the album.  Obviously not like Zep 1 and 2, or some moments on Physical.  It was Presence he was really handicapped for, and he adjusted wonderfully for his injury and age moving forward.  I think the clear-cut best part about In the Evening is the singing.  He wrecks house.

Then you grill Hot Dog until it was blackened and popping, I mean...WTF.  That song is fun, it's upbeat, it's a play on a vein of music.  Zeppelin did that all the time.  I love that old west piano style from JPJ, like in South Bound Saurez.  It's mega groovy.  Play Hot Dog and South Bound on drums.  Woo-wee!  Fun.  Fun to play for everyone, guaranteed.  Be dancing hard while playing, lol.

Then you smash Fool in the Rain, because you've heard it too much on the radio and in restaurants and in your head and EVERYWHERE.  I've heard it too much too.  Shame.  The half-time shuffle groove is filthy, as is the Latin/Caribbean instrumental.  I listen to the drum track more than the song.  I mean, it's a good song.  Overplayed.

Caroselerumba is awesome.  You hate synth.  You aren't biased at all :rolleyes:.  JPJ on synth > the dark side.

I'm not a yuge fan of I'm Gonna Crawl, but it's a hauntingly good song for what was about to happen.  Kind of grew in to a goodbye song to Bonzo.

A TERRIBLE album needs to be put in to perspective.  That, it's not.  For sure.  They are still laying down greatness at that point.  They didn't bomb an album, they weren't headed towards musical stagnation, it was another step in the progression of the band's sound.  Unfortunately, it's the last album.  Imagine the 80's if they stuck around.  People basically just copped them, put their own little cookie cutter twist on it, slapped on makeup, and made millions.

I need to go back to ITTOD, it's been a looooong time since I've heard it, but from what I remember, the melodies are too strong and the album's variety too entertaining to throw out the whole thing over a synth tone. I'm not wild about classic rock bands adopting synths either, but a decent song is a decent song and there are more enjoyable ones than bad ones on that album. "It doesn't fit in with the rest of their catalogue" is a weak reason to bash the album. 

That said, it's far from a favorite of mine. There's a reason I haven't heard it in ages. Only so much Hot Dog a guy can listen to. Plus, Plant's voice is in absolute shambles. I never cared much for Plant's raspier vocals from 1976-1980; life was not kind to him back then.

On 1/22/2017 at 1:58 AM, TryTheBeal! said:

I listen to Presence constantly.  Tea For One is my jam forever...but Graffiti is the best Zep album.

Presence is amazing. Love it. Tea for One is also one of their best songs.

I love Zeppelin and have to rank Houses of the Holy, Presence and III as my top favs. 

Here's a fantastic (IMO) live version of Ten Years Gone... Page ads the B-Bender Tele to it...

23 hours ago, STBonecrusher21 said:

For your education. You're welcome and no charge.

Led Zeppelin's 1977 North American Tour was the eleventh and final concert tour of North America by the English rock band. The tour was divided into three legs, with performances commencing on 1 April and concluding on 24 July 1977. The tour was originally intended to finish on 13 August, but was cut short following the death of Robert Plant's son.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Led_Zeppelin_North_American_Tour_1977

Contents

On 1/21/2017 at 11:19 PM, Riggo-toni said:

I, III, and Out Door.

IV is the most overrated, outside of Stairway, but Presence is the one I never listen to.

Stairway is the most overrated song in their catalogue and IV has WTLB  which is top 5 in their catalogue.

13 hours ago, grego said:

You don't like no quarter? 

Nope, just one of those songs I just don't get. Chop about 3 or 4 minutes off of it, maybe.

Another one of theirs for many people like is Levee...I just don't get it. 

3 hours ago, Busch1724 said:

Nope, just one of those songs I just don't get. Chop about 3 or 4 minutes off of it, maybe.

i get that about the length. there are a few zep songs that go on for a bit longer than they really need to, especially some of their more bluesy songs. 

i love levee. i cant think of a song where the drums dominate like they do on that song. just incredibly powerful. 

20 hours ago, d0ublestr0ker0ll said:

Here's my man Spaceman Spiff

tripping-o.gif

TRIPPIN'

So you agree In the Evening is a great song.  I like that.  YOU like that.  I respect yall for liking that song.  It gets lost in the smear campaign Spaceman is spearheading for the dark side.

Then you kind of just gloss over South Bound Saurez like, "let's just forget about this one".  Okay.  So that song is a down-home beastmode groove from the boys, with Plant huffing and puffing.  By the way, he sang his ass off on the album.  Obviously not like Zep 1 and 2, or some moments on Physical.  It was Presence he was really handicapped for, and he adjusted wonderfully for his injury and age moving forward.  I think the clear-cut best part about In the Evening is the singing.  He wrecks house.

Then you grill Hot Dog until it was blackened and popping, I mean...WTF.  That song is fun, it's upbeat, it's a play on a vein of music.  Zeppelin did that all the time.  I love that old west piano style from JPJ, like in South Bound Saurez.  It's mega groovy.  Play Hot Dog and South Bound on drums.  Woo-wee!  Fun.  Fun to play for everyone, guaranteed.  Be dancing hard while playing, lol.

Then you smash Fool in the Rain, because you've heard it too much on the radio and in restaurants and in your head and EVERYWHERE.  I've heard it too much too.  Shame.  The half-time shuffle groove is filthy, as is the Latin/Caribbean instrumental.  I listen to the drum track more than the song.  I mean, it's a good song.  Overplayed.

Caroselerumba is awesome.  You hate synth.  You aren't biased at all :rolleyes:.  JPJ on synth > the dark side.

I'm not a yuge fan of I'm Gonna Crawl, but it's a hauntingly good song for what was about to happen.  Kind of grew in to a goodbye song to Bonzo.

A TERRIBLE album needs to be put in to perspective.  That, it's not.  For sure.  They are still laying down greatness at that point.  They didn't bomb an album, they weren't headed towards musical stagnation, it was another step in the progression of the band's sound.  Unfortunately, it's the last album.  Imagine the 80's if they stuck around.  People basically just copped them, put their own little cookie cutter twist on it, slapped on makeup, and made millions.

I'm not saying the musicianship is ****.  No one can say that about ANY of their albums or any of their songs.   

Hot Dog is terrible, you can't convince me otherwise.  I give props to Led Zep all the time for being able to seamlessly try different genres of music and pull it off but I think this is the one instance where it just doesn't work.  I'm not saying it's not fun, I'm not saying it's not upbeat but it just sounds like **** to me.  

Fool in the Rain has always sounded like a half assed song that they're just mailing in.  I don't disagree that Bonham's drums on that song aren't amazing, in fact it's the one saving grace.  

I don't hate all synth, sometimes it can be fantastic but not on Carouselambra.  

You can say it's not a terrible album but when it comes to their previous work it just doesn't hold a candle.  I don't see how anyone could put it ahead of any of their first six albums.  I can understand if you prefer it to Presence but I think Achilles Last Stand, Tea for One and Nobody's Fault But Mine blow away anything on Out Door with the exception of In the Evening.  Again, not saying their musicianship sucks on this album just saying I don't like the directions they went.  

As I said before, I imagine them making a return to a heavier LZ sound in the 80s.  I think they would have triumphed where the Rolling Stones basically had a mulligan on the entire decade.  

16 hours ago, Busch1724 said:

So essentially get rid of JPJ piano solo? No thanks... :)

Archived