Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

PFT.com: Sean McVay takes over the Rams (M.E.T.)

aREDSKIN

Considering how things were going those last days, it's not exactly a surprise. I believe Jay and Scott already have a plan for this and I'm curious to know what is it.

Will Sean ask us permission to talk to Wes for the OC job? Will be interesting as well. Or are we promoting him to stop the bleeding?

That is the beginning of a real interesting offseason for us. Like make or break one.

Congrats to the young man anyway, good luck to him, and see you on the other side of the field this year in LA! Can't wait to watch the handshake between Jay and him at the end of the game. Like:

- Sean: Damn dad, your offense is a pain in the ass to defend.

- Jay: I know son.

6 minutes ago, Gibbit said:

I have a feeling the alternatives weren't very creative either. Reed slant...covered. Wheres Garcon?

Reed slant probably wasn't there very often because he was out and injured quite a bit. IIRC a lot of Garcon's red zone routes were across the middle or in the back of the end zone. Kirk seemed very hesitant to throw to the middle in the red zone without Reed there this season.

2 minutes ago, BRAVEONTHEWARPATH93 said:

Congrats but I'm not bothered at all

thinks he's a tad overrated but it's still impressive 

doubt the offense misses a beat as long as we keep good personnel 

Solely because of Phillips right? 

Mcvay and Gruden seem pretty similar so yeah but McVay at least has the unknown potential and the whole boy genius thing going for him. And Phillips obviously >>> Bradley 

15 minutes ago, mistertim said:

Reed slant probably wasn't there very often because he was out and injured quite a bit. IIRC a lot of Garcon's red zone routes were across the middle or in the back of the end zone. Kirk seemed very hesitant to throw to the middle in the red zone without Reed there this season.

Or the fade route...seemed majority of fades were to pierre except for that one game we tried that Josh doctson goal line weirdness

I just saw online that Jackson is singing the praises of the new head coach.  I bet he would like to play for him in LA.

Skins need to pick a coordinator who will get the job done.  I hope a year from now we are not complaining about Sean's replacement.

He was not effective calling plays in the red zone but the offense put up a ton of yards.

We were ranked in the top 2 or 3 teams in total offense in the NFL this year.

Some people on Twitter saying this might be one of those disguise "better for both parties" things as Jay has been wanting to run the ball more but left it up to McVay.

Not sure how true that is since Jay came here already with a rep for not committing to the run.

I don't see how this doesn't hurt us. Even if you disagreed with some of his playcalling, he was very clearly a bright offensive mind and had a strong rapport with players. 

So...who is currently unemployed that was on the Bucs staff in the mid 2000s? They're about to be an offensive coordinator. 

Or tired old failed Callahan. 

Not sure which choice I'd hate more...

2 minutes ago, Nfcbeasts4721 said:

I gots a feeling there will not be a replacement for mcvay..Gruden will be full time o coordinator

Gruden may very well go back to calling the plays, but you almost have to have an actual OC for the teaching and coaching of the offense--Gruden has his hands all over it but he's the HC and kinda has to be everywhere at once.

Yet again I was wrong predicting on here shocker lol.

Honestly don't care he's gone, maybe I give too much credit to Jay Gruden for the offense but I think he did that not this baby, way too young to be an NFL head coach. I'm over a decade older then this guy. Can't believe he gets this shot so young makes no sense to me but hey that's why the Rams are worth billions and I'm not right? .

Think this hire like most things Rams ends up being a massive mistake but who knows? Maybe the offense was all McVay's doing and ours goes straight to hell now that McVay is gone? Maybe the Rams win the division because McVay turns Todd Gurley into something that looks like an NFL RB and makes Jared Goff not look like the biggest #1 overall QB bust ever?

Ya maybe those things happen, time will tell but I do know for some strange reason it feels nice not having a head coach around here known as "boy wonder" I hate that name. And I'm not broke up about this news. Honestly like I said I don't care

So who replaces him? IDK and I'm not guessing at that, it is pretty cool that as young as Jay is that he's already got sprouts growing out of his coaching tree.

One thing I do know is it will will be fun to watch the team go into LA and beat his ass next year, looking forward to the boys doing that proper as a nice thanks for everything memory to the boy wonder. HTTR and congrats! 

9 minutes ago, Momma There Goes That Man said:

Mcvay and Gruden seem pretty similar so yeah but McVay at least has the unknown potential and the whole boy genius thing going for him. And Phillips obviously >>> Bradley 

That genius thing won't last long I believe. Honestly I'd rather have the Rams going with the growing pains of McVay as a HC than us.

12 minutes ago, Gibbit said:

Or the fade route...seemed majority of fades were to pierre except for that one game we tried that Josh doctson goal line weirdness

My personal favorite was the fade to DJax while covered 1 on 1 by Patrick Peterson.

Take your 5'9 175 lb WR and throw a corner fade to him while he's covered by one of the best CBs in the game and who also happens to be 6'1 205 lbs.

Brilliant.

Congrats to McCay. I am surprised. Didn't think he was seasoned enough. Best luck to him.

This will hurt the 'skins at least in the short run. Now, there's going to be at least some learning curve. Even if it's just the new OC learning what our guys do really well or who has endurance and who needs to be subbed to keep fresh. Who needs to be coddled and who needs to be chastised? 

McVay had his faults, but he did well here. I think we'll be fine, but I'm surprised and a bit disappointed.

Archived