Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Who stays? Garcon or DJax???

Renegade7

Who stays???  

264 members have voted

1. 1. Which WR should the Redskins re-sign this offseason???

My heart says keep both of them...my brain says let them both walk...unless Garcon stays at a discount.

Doctson + Crowder + Reed + Grant/Harris/FA would be fine.

One thing that has always happened with this O is WR are open. Dont need to pay guys in their 30s big bucks.

If signing these guys = we cant upgrade the interior line i will pass on them. Lets be the Pats and let guys go too early rather than sign them past their prime.  

Am I being overly optimistic in saying that I think Vernon Davis gives this offense what Desean Jackson does?  Hear me out...

Davis is a different breed than Reed.  Reed is more like Garcon, where it's his short-area quickness and toughness after the catch that set him apart rather than his straight-line speed.  Reed isn't going to win consistently on go routes - give him an option route, though, and he will get open 9 times out of 10.  Davis, on the other hand, is a burner.  When he hits his top gear, there are very few LBs or safeties in the league that can go stride for stride with him.  Davis can win consistently on go routes and wheel routes, and is also pretty good (although not elite) inside on the shorter stuff.

I think Davis, if used properly, can take the top off a defense similar to what Jackson does.  Think about it - you line Davis up against an LB or an S and have him run a go route, it will clear out the underneath stuff because either (1) Davis' defender will have to play very soft coverage, or (2) Davis' defender will need safety help over the top.  If the other team is sticking a CB on Davis, then move him in line and run the ball down their throats.

Note that the above is my assessment as of 12/12/2016 and may or may not be applicable next season when Davis is 33 years old (although Jackson runs a similar risk).

Gotta say, I don't envy our GM having to make this decision, particularly due to Doctson's injury and the need to address the D.  Hopefully it becomes a bit clearer as FA approaches, potential FAs (ours and others') get re-signed before hitting the market, etc., but still...

I think the thought to keep both would be an option if something special is taking place with the team, but as it is, the Skins are just above a middle of the pack to team. It appears resources will need to be reallocated to different areas of the football team. 

Im for letting both go if GM has a plan where to spend money elsewhere. Kirk next year will hopefully be ready to carry the offense to similar levels with less money spent at WR. 

I would keep Garcon. He is a better possession receiver and he is more engaged in the game.  

Crowder appears ready to be WR1.  Josh Norman is clearly our new "shinemaster" now so there's no room for Djax.

DJax is a nice threat but I'd rather have players that work hard.  Djax dogged it in the WC game vs GB, cost the team a TD, and the game went sideways after that. -1

coincidence?

Don't care how disinterested DJax looks, he's ELITE at what he does.  Might be the best deep threat in the NFL since Randy Moss.  That's not even hyperbole.  Even at 30, show me someone who can catch him from behind.  Even on the Pick 6, look at how quickly he closed the gap on McKelvin. 

As someone said before...we're the Skins.  There's $ to be spent, so figure out a way to keep both.

I think Garcon is morphing into Anquan Boldin before our eyes.  Nothing wrong with that. 

*edit*

My gut tells me Desean will look for a HUGE pay day while Garcon might be OK w/ a slight pay cut to stay in the DMV. 

2 hours ago, S.T.real,lights,out said:

My heart says keep both of them...my brain says let them both walk...unless Garcon stays at a discount.

One thing that has always happened with this O is WR are open. Dont need to pay guys in their 30s big bucks.

If signing these guys = we cant upgrade the interior line i will pass on them. Lets be the Pats and let guys go too early rather than sign them past their prime.  

Tell you what.  I wouldn't want anyone else to try and make that catch on that 4th and 1 that Cousins threw besides Garcon.  I want him to stay, the dude is a physical monster when it comes to fighting for that ball and blocking down field.  Who is going to do that Doctson?  Don't make me laugh, we need to keep Garcon at the very least.

Its a toss up every week on who I would keep. One of the things I keep in mind at the end of the offseason is who is the easiest type of player to replace. Honestly even though I love Garcons attitude and demeanor on the field, DJax is the hardest to replace. However I think Garcon will be more willing to play ball during contract negotiations and would settle for a respectable offer made. He is a true Redskin, always positive on social media regarding his team and a drama free individual. Djax is more of a enigma. Its hard to tell at times how invested he is in being a Redskin, often I get the impression he cares only about his individual accolades. It will be interesting come offseason to see how he reacts, who knows if he even really wants to stay with us. I hope someway somehow we keep both though, they both make our offense dangerous.

Btw...not sure if its just me, but did you guys take away anything from how DJax reacted from that deep ball from kirk? Usually he peddles backwards into the end zone, does some sort of dance celebration after but yesterday I didn't see any of that. All of those "rumors" about going back to Philly never seemed plausible until yesterday to me. Still doubt he goes back there .

If nothing else, maybe this lights the fire under McCloughan to sign Cousins quickly. That frees up the franchise tag that could be used on Jackson (who will demand more money than Garcon). 

I would sign Garcon because what he does doesn't seem like it will be quite as impacted by age. I would love to have Jackson back too, but envision him being tougher to sign. 

I dont think there is a chance DJax will be here next year. I think he wants out. I think Garcon does as well. I wouldnt be shocked if neither of them is on the team next season. If I had to choose one I would pick Garcon though. Once they started letting him run the entire route tree Garcon has been beasting out. I think he is the better all around receiver over Jackson as well.

1 hour ago, TheGreek1973 said:

Tell you what.  I wouldn't want anyone else to try and make that catch on that 4th and 1 that Cousins threw besides Garcon.  I want him to stay, the dude is a physical monster when it comes to fighting for that ball and blocking down field.  Who is going to do that Doctson?  Don't make me laugh, we need to keep Garcon at the very least.

Already given up on Doctson. lol

Gotta love Skins fans. 

1 hour ago, TD_washingtonredskins said:

I would sign Garcon because what he does doesn't seem like it will be quite as impacted by age. I would love to have Jackson back too, but envision him being tougher to sign. 

DJax is always one nick away from being completely useless.

4 hours ago, S.T.real,lights,out said:

If Doctson could be effective as a deep threat in much the same way as Vincent Jackson was in his heyday. That would make letting DJax go more palatable.  

And I would like to keep Crowder as a WR3 working in the slot on nickel corners.  

I've said all along I want them both back. Plus Vernon Davis. Keeps continuity plus retains a good balance of vets and younger players at the WR/TE slots. We got the cap space, the FA market doesn't offer better value and I want the draft to focus heavily on defence.

4 hours ago, S.T.real,lights,out said:

That's not find for me. Doctson has a lot to prove in 2017, starting with getting on the field. ......and Reed is great, love his play, but everyone must realise he's at serious risk of constantly missing playing time. 

The collective group makes us tick in my opinion.

I'd like to keep both.  If only one can stay, I'd choose DJax.  He's a phenomenal athlete and a game changer.  I wish Cousins would use him more.

2 hours ago, clskinsfan said:

I dont think there is a chance DJax will be here next year. I think he wants out. I think Garcon does as well. I wouldnt be shocked if neither of them is on the team next season. If I had to choose one I would pick Garcon though. Once they started letting him run the entire route tree Garcon has been beasting out. I think he is the better all around receiver over Jackson as well.

Why do you think neither wants to stay a Redskin?

1 hour ago, UK SKINS FAN '74 said:

That's not find for me. Doctson has a lot to prove in 2017, starting with getting on the field. ......and Reed is great, love his play, but everyone must realise he's at serious risk of constantly missing playing time. 

The collective group makes us tick in my opinion.

Gotta disagree there, I think Kirk makes us tick.  When he's on, he's on.  Coaching can get people open, Kirk can find them.  

Also believe we're underestimating Harris.  If I have to choose between Garcon/Djax and Eric Berry, I'd go with the safety and hope for the best on offense.  

I want them both back but if I could only choose one it would be garcon... He just has a tough gritty style about him that I absolutely love but I also love Jackson and how he can stretch the field and the way he adjusts his body to catch the ball is right at best in the league.

Eric berry will be available next year?

Archived