Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The 2017 FA Thread - OP Updated with Signings (Sundberg, Galette, VD, Hood re-signed) *** Terrell McClain, Stacy McGee, DJ Swearinger, Terrelle Pryor, Chris Carter, Brian Quick, ZACH BROWN(!!)***

DC9

12 minutes ago, goskins10 said:

Hope they beat duke. Always a good day when duke loses... 

Sounds like a 1 yr deal. He has not gotten much interest. If he is cheap enough, bring him in and see what he's got. He has not really played much the last two years.

this does not look like a very reliable site

20 minutes ago, Morneblade said:

Right about Moses, 66th pick in the draft. Very high 3rd rounder. My mistake.

As for everything else, apparently you agree. Same scheme, a 1 gap attacking one. Which I already said.

Which is what I initially said. So your first post was just confirming what I initially said? ?

Thanks 

Eh...the way the FA RB market has shaped up, it would be very cheap. If he's all healed up I'd bring him in as a COP guy to compete with the perennially overrated (by fans) CT. Charles really doesn't have a lot of carries on his (admittedly torn up and injured) legs. It wouldn't be the worst thing, it's not like bringing in Larry Johnson all those years ago.

13 minutes ago, Koolblue13 said:

If this is true, we really don't have any idea what we're doing again.

Why? 90 man roster during the off season. What's wrong with kicking the tires? What if he still has something left? I see nothing wrong with this at all - unless of course if they sign him to some $2M or $3M deal. Vet min + incentives maybe. I do not see the harm at all.

2 hours ago, William Barbour said:

Which is what I initially said. So your first post was just confirming what I initially said? ?

Thanks 

Actually, you originally said this

" Not in Manusky scheme. Hes going to be hitting gaps and disrupting the backfield. Not just taking up blocks for the Linebackers."

You implied that Barry did not do this, so everything was going to be different now.

When it was the exact same philosophy. So no, it's not what you said originally.

2 hours ago, markmills67 said:

Any news on if Hankins has got any visits lined up, surely he is worth $6m per season or on a 1 year prove it deal.

HTTR 

Id guess he's staying with the Giants unless a team buckles, if the Colts offered Poe 5/60mil you would think they would jump in on the auction. Won't come cheap.

22 hours ago, carex said:

Our D broke at the wrong times back then.  Part of the reason Jason Campbell had so little success is the script always seemed to play out the same way back then.  Skins fall behind by two scores late in the first half/ early second.  Defense stiffens to hold it to that point.  Offense puts together good drive, cuts the lead to one score, we just need the D to keep playing like it was and we're back in it.  Defense gives up long clock killing drive and puts it back up to two scores, we get the  ball back with five minutes left

you can't guarantee that Cousins will sign a LTD, and sadly I'm not sure the numbers he wants will lower his cap hit this year.  So going into free agency with a plan like yours in not the way the FO can work

There have already been a couple articles posted where he averages $24M per year with a ton of guaranteed money that lowers his cap hit significantly. 

Sound like the Giants have the best current offer on the table.  Giants these days are willing to pay more it seems than the Redskins are to land guys, so sadly I'd put my money on them.  The other upside of signing Hankins is taking him away from the Giants -- arguably the Giants D line was more than the Redskins O line can handle in terms of what we saw in the last game of the season -- both in terms of pass protection and moving the ball on the ground.  The Giants didn't get bargains for Harrison or Vernon in FA but did get themselves a D line who could manhandle the Redskins and stop the Cowboys making them a threat to take the division this year IMO. 

1 of the top FAs -- #Giants DT Jonathan Hankins -- has tried for weeks to beat NYG's standing offer. Hasn't done it yet. They want an answer

21 hours ago, fordranger76 said:

First of all very solid rebuttal. I love seeing people takes explained like that because its a very real discussion and one I very much appreciate. However I still do not agree with you and that is ok. Hopefully I can further clarify my stance so I can put this to bed. In regards to the draft from all reports a true DT will probably not come until 3-4 round this year and most likely will just provide depth. Which to mean means a very real possibility of Safety, Corner, or Inside backer in round 1. Under your scenario we have 2 down players with not much depth on the D-line. That is why I am so skittish on that approach if it were to have happened. I also see McClain and McGee possibly falling into that same trap and I am aware that could cancel itself out and if it does then no matter what they did we would have most likely been screwed either way.

I am very very concerned still with that backend we have. I really think that the coaches are not high on Breeland at all at the moment. A few interviews (or 1 lol cant remember) have pointed to that theory from the coaches themselves with hints of corner being a pressing need on this team. Which leads me to believe corner is going to be the pick. I have hopes for Fuller still but he could still go either way unfortunately. Now if we did not sign Swearinger then we go back to Hall and Blackmon back there with zero behind them. Injuries are a very real concern with both of them and that would be leaving us uncomfortably thin. Cravens is the wild card I will grant you that but is still a wild card. I may be over rating Swearinger but I think he is going to be the steal of FA for this team. I also still do not think they are done with this position at all as evidence by the Colt player they were sniffing around with just last week.

To close I really am not super high on the McClain and McGee signings to be honest but I do not hate them for the cost. They have a nice upside that has me intrigued. However I really think the team saw them as rotational depth behind a Campbell/Logan starter. The contracts just were not going to work for this team for what they are trying to do. FYI I am still hoping for a Hankins signing at a resonable contract and if that happens it changes the discussion completely. So it does indeed put us in a pickle but I am super stoked about the Swearinger pick up. Again I go back to that line situation for contracts on O and forgot completely about Crowder's coming up too. Just a lot of people that will be signed and I am afraid that the Cousins signing is going to really break the bank. I am talking 25 million plus. I hope I am wrong but I dont think I will be.

Cousins would/will get a ton of money in the event of a long term deal BUT in any case it will lower his cap hit this year from what it is under the tag. That's a given. 

I guess i just feel like your argument about us likely going linebacker of defensive back early in the draft only supports my argument. If the back end is likely to be strengthened early in the draft then all the more reason to focus on the line in free agency. 

I think ink a starting line of Logan, Hankins and Hood with rotational guys in Jackson, Lanier and Ioannidis is actually a top tier starting line with quality depth. It's also a great mix of youth and a couple vets. You also said you would expect another depth player or two from the draft which only strengthens the line. I get that Hankins is a two down player based on snaps last year but I think people wrongfully disregard his pass rush - he can certainly collapse the pocket and penetrate. Plus, I guarantee you manusky is looking to get smith, Kerrigan, gallette and Murphy all on the field at times on third down. Or three of them with Lanier in the middle. It all fits perfectly for what the vision has been for our defense for years. Stop the run and force turnovers in passing situations. 

But out I appreciate the conversation brother. I think we just agree to disagree. 

39 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

Sound like the Giants have the best current offer on the table.  Giants these days are willing to pay more it seems than the Redskins are to land guys, so sadly I'd put my money on them.  The other upside of signing Hankins is taking him away from the Giants -- arguably the Giants D line was more than the Redskins O line can handle in terms of what we saw in the last game of the season -- both in terms of pass protection and moving the ball on the ground.  The Giants didn't get bargains for Harrison or Vernon in FA but did get themselves a D line who could manhandle the Redskins and stop the Cowboys making them a threat to take the division this year IMO. 

1 of the top FAs -- #Giants DT Jonathan Hankins -- has tried for weeks to beat NYG's standing offer. Hasn't done it yet. They want an answer

If NYG's offer is really only 1 year $4 million, and we let him go back there, I will be livid.

Over the weekend, we heard that the Giants have a “50-50” chance of keeping the defensive tackle. The Giants’ exact offer to the 25-year-old is not known, but Ralph Vacchiano of SNY says they’re unlikely to offer him anything more than a one-year, $4MM deal because of their cap situation. That would be a crushing blow to Hankins who came into March looking for a deal worth more than $10MM per year. After Dontari Poe settled for a one-year deal with an $8MM base, a lucrative multi-year deal seems unlikely for Hankins, even though he’s younger.

So far, the incumbent Giants, Redskins, and Dolphins have been the only teams to be linked to Hankins. However, the Redskins have already made defensive line upgrades and the Dolphins’ interest might not be all that serious. Right now, all signs are pointing towards Hankins returning to the Giants, but their offer might have an expiration date.

You know, I guess maybe I was being a bit unduly harsh for criticizing the Redskins FO for not improving or biggest need position of DLine in free agency.  They did!  Last year, we were 31st in spending on the DLin, this year, we are 30th, we moved up one spot!  Now we are spending the princely sum of $11,540,000 on our DLine. 

Archived