Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Do You Trust The Program That The Redskins Have In Place?

Diehard Otis

It seems to me that one prevailing refrain through the tenor and tone of the threads on this board, and our discussions of them, boil down to the baseline issue of trust.

Allow me to elaborate my reasoning.

Fortunately for some of us, we can remember a time when The Washington Redskins were a legitimate & consistent Super Bowl Contender.  Obviously, that time has long since passed and a different narrative has taken root on The Field, in the press, and in our collective consciousness.  Clearly none of this is noteworthy.  But what is striking to me is the realization that a significant portion of The Team's backers do not have a living memory of The Redskins as serious Contenders.  

In the past, I dismissed this reality because it wasn't my reality.  I am now aware of the gravity of my misunderstanding. To the point, for those who have only seen fits and starts of decent-to-good football through the endless deluge of losing, being guarded in one's outlook makes perfect sense.  In fact, it speaks to one's character & loyalty to remain true when the reward for one's faith is constantly deferred.  For a fan of my age & era, that is hard to empathize with.  And it clouded my understanding of perspectives other than my own regarding the team.

However, The Redskins appear to be on the verge of realizing an unprecedented achievement in the new century - namely, posting back-to-back Winning Seasons and consecutive Playoff berths.  Of course, there is still plenty of football left to be played and The Team could miss one (or both) of those marks.  But by virtue of putting themselves in position to attain these feats, this indeed represents significant new ground.  And herein lies the discussion.

At this point, it is conceivable that Washington becomes a Contending Team going forward.  In other words, this can be viewed as the opening "The Window."  It's been a mighty long time coming, but if this is in fact the beginning of our window, do you have faith in The Program - as it is currently constituted - to get it done?

I don't intend to be ambiguous here: 

-by The Program, I'm talking about Snyder/Allen/McCloughan/Gruden/Cousins.  We can reasonably expect Personnel to be upgraded here or there, and they'll be some Coaching turnover, but that's the core.  That will probably remain in place.
-by get it done, I'm talking about a Super Bowl Championship.  Can Washington Win It All with this core in place?
*also, do you believe that this group can achieve long term Success?  I will define success as posting Winning Records 2 of 3 years; I will define long term as 8-to-10 years.  Therefore, can that group achieve that level of success over, say an 8-10 season span?

At the heart of it (once again) is trust.  Do you trust that this Program is capable of attaining any or all of these feats listed?  Why or why not?  I believe that this topic deserves a worthwhile discussion.

I have no significant doubts about the GM or the offensive core that's in place (Gruden, McVay, Callahan, Cousins).  But I think Gruden/Mcloughan are going to face a major decision this offseason that will shape the course of our next 5 years.  And, surprisingly, it's NOT the decision on whether to franchise or extend Cousins.  Even if they make the wrong decision on that one, we can keep moving forward (Cousins will be on the roster for 2017, we'll have the possibility of extending him after 2017, and in the meantime we can scramble for alternatives).

The real decision is: does Jay Gruden want to be a champion, or does he want to be a guy who won a bunch of games with his buddies?  Because for this team to take the next step into elite territory, we need an actual defense, and I don't think Joe Barry is the guy that's going to give that to us.  Gruden needs to look objectively at this defense and at Joe Barry and ask himself if that's really a Super Bowl caliber defensive coordinator.  I don't think it is.  I think we need to get somebody in here who has a history of producing top defenses, and that's not Joe Barry.

I'm still smelling what the FO is cooking. GMSM is trying to tear the proverbial 20+ year Albatross off of the neck of the franchise and while it's not always been pretty, I don't have the same feeling of "lather, rinse, repeat" that was going on here for so long.

Playoffs two years in a row would be nice, but if we do make them we may be in a similar fix as recent years when it comes to advancing due to our more cold than hot defense. If we MISSED the playoffs but still won 9-10 games I would chalk it up to a stronger Conf / Division and still feel pretty good about GMSM's 5 Year Plan.

I do feel that our defense is due for some scrutiny next off season. Either our acquisitions thus far need to take the next step (and Gallette maybe play a down) or Berry does (or step off).

I trust the program and the people executing it, but my battered fan syndrome prevents me from having the perennial optimism I had during my youth when the Skins were always fighting for top spot in the NFCE and a 50/50 bet to make the playoffs (at least). To give perspective to the youngsters, we were basically the 70s/80s version of today's Pats (minus 1 SB, a perennially easy division, and the cheating stuff). As fans we knew with no uncertainty that our Skins could do the job and we didn't fear any other teams.

I get flashes of the feeling I had then (****y confidence, no depression after a loss, always ready to bounce back and fight), but it's not fully returned. If we make the playoffs this year, then come back with another winning record next year, it will return in full force.

To do that, we need to add more great draft picks, including OL and DL. Keep the big boys coming in - considering that OL is 45-55% of the O and DL is 27-45% of the D, we need to be sure the trenches are filled with beasts! I think we are seeing the plan hatching, and next year we will see an improvement on the defensive side of the house. HTTR!

I guess it depends on what you really mean by trust. I think we have a good group and we're heading in a positive direction. I don't know where the ceiling of this group is.  I still don't have a feeling for Barry. Sometimes, I think he's okay and it's his players. Sometimes, I think everything is okay. Other times, I think he's among the worst d coaches in the history of the NFL.  I have almost never thought... Now, that's a really great DC and he really out schemed, out foxed, and humiliated his opponent.  Likewise, I have thought... I'm closer to buying in on the offense. Getting greater balance in the run game has helped with that. I trust that our GM knows what he is doing. 

So, I kinda sorta trust this team, but I'm wary of it too. It still feels like an awfully fragile trust.

I hope everything stays the same this offseason and after back to back winning seasons, I don't think that's unrealistic. 

One more year getting better, faster and younger and then I'll have more of an opinion on it.

Don't know about trust, but I like it. We're obviously a much improved team.

Back to back winning season will go a long way. If you look at where we were in '13 and '14, and compare it to where we are now, it's night and day. Less than two years since Scotty came on, and we're immensely better than we were. The defense still has a ways to go, but the special teams and offense have been significantly better. The front office and coaches have done a very good job in a short amount of time. If we can continue to draft well, I think we'll be in great position to make a real run in the near future.

In short, I trust in what they are doing. The results have been pretty damn good so far, and nothing leads me to believe that Scott can't continue to build a real winner.

I am starting to really trust what is happening in Washington.  I think it will take another year or two before I am 110% confident in this group mainly because I want to see how SM fixes the defense moving forward, but since SM took over things have really improved.

So no, I don't trust it yet, but it took a long time to break the trust and therefore rebuilding that trust will not happen overnight, or in 1-2 seasons.

Making the playoffs in back to back years will definitely help, but even more so would be fielding an improved defense next year and seeing some of the recent GMSM draft picks improve in the off-season.

It's definitely an "up arrow" for me, trending upwards, but not 100% sold yet.  I feel there are still some demons and skeletons that must be exorcised. 

I have to wait until KC is signed before I can answer this question fully but as of now I like what I see and I really like Gruden as our coach.

The crazy thing is we could win a superbowl this year if we had a bit more on the defensive side.  The league is wide open and there for the taking, its frustrating we don't have all pieces in place but we are very close.

If you mean do I trust that the core you mentioned will take us to the Superbowl, the answer is no. 

Things have taken a noticeable turn for the better once Snyder and Allen decided to hire McCloughan. McCloughan is the glue that holds together my hopes for this team and raises my expectations. It is a bit cliche' but Snyder, Allen and company were running around the ship like chickens with their heads cut off until McCloughan grabbed the ship's wheel and set course. I like the direction the team has taken since he was hired to be the GM. Do I think that core can win the Superbowl? The answer is yes, but I do not trust that it is going to happen.

Perfect thread for a poll, I don't get why I rarely a thread with one unless I do it myself.  It's hard not to trust what we're doing, the results speak for itself, as this is the closest we've been to sustained success since the late 80's early 90's.  I do believe its fair to pump breaks on the future of this organization until Kirk is locked up long-term.

41 minutes ago, S.T.real,lights,out said:

On pace to possibly make the playoffs two years in a row...the fact that we are even in the hunt. Cant remember the last time we were in a position like this. 

It is sad that I am already satisfied with this season simply because we are leading the way for a playoff spot this deep into the season and don't have to go on some magical run to get there. If they fold, I will be disappointed, but this is the first time EVER that I don't expect them to fold. I expect them to rise to the occasion. It is truly an amazing feeling as I actually think that this is sustainable for this season and the next.

I trust that Dan and Bruce hired Scot and Scot can build a roster, coaching staff that will win consistently. If that includes a progressing Gruden, Great, if it doesn't, I trust in Scot to make that call. I hope to see Barry replaced, that would have me believe Scot is in control of coaching staff and not just Gruden. 

Nice thread btw. 

I like how we are progressing, but I'm not ready to concede anything until we finish the season out.  I think people are sorely underestimating our opponent this weekend, and ditto for Carolina next week.  If we win and make it in, the narrative will be a good one.  If we don't, some of the same old tired questions and Redskins cliches will win the day.  Not just in the media, but here in ES land as well. :)

It's more important to the culture (which the OP addressed) for us to win and to make the paloffs, than it is to my personal opinion of the team.  I believe that we are an improving team with some glaring weaknesses that will take a while to address.  I don't think much can happen this season that would change my view.

Since I started the thread to gauge opinion, both specific and general, it only seems fair that I offer my opinion as well.

Believe it or not, I'm conflicted.  As some may know, my outlook regarding the team is always positive.  And it's not that I'm being insincere in my posts - I believe in The Washington Redskins all the time (and never waver).  But I have to admit, now that it looks like it has finally come to it being our time, I'm apprehensive.  I say that NOT due to a lack of faith; The Skins will kick ass always!  But it's because I want our Team, our Program, to be Championship Caliber.

Let me elaborate.  In sports, I have always used the analogy that I'd rather be us (The Redskins) than the the Atlanta Braves (which I'm also a fan of).  That is, when we're good, we are Winning Championships: when we're not-so-good, we're not too much in the mix.  The Braves on the other hand (until very recently) are always good.  They routinely go to the Playoffs & are well regarded as a Program.  But typically, they aren't a serious threat to Win The World Series.  But they do Win a lot.  

And I don't want to see this Program go the Braves route.  I do trust The Organization to make us a genuine Contender.  I also trust them to give us a measure of stability, which will help The Team remain in Contention for the foreseeable future (at least medium term, say for the next 5 or 6 years).  

But long term?  At this point, it's anybody's guess.  And I'd be lying if I said I know we'll be good for the next dozen years.  That's such an elusive feat - I mean, there have been some good teams (2000ish Titans, mid2000s Bears, those KC teams of the mid90s, etc.) that couldn't sustain it long term...too many variables have to work in tandem, including minimal turnover at key spots in a team's Program.  So do I believe Washington can do it?  In OUR Division??  [Sigh] I just don't know.

And the biggie - The Super Bowl Trophy.  That's even tougher to gauge.  I believe in this Team's Program.  I do, 100%.  But will they Win a Super Bowl?  If Cousins stays, I say yes.  The man has Won me over unequivocally.  But will that happen?  There's so many unknowns still, going into Week 13.

However, the core as it is constituted can wind up doing some really special things, and I do have faith in them.  I'm taking the blind leap, but the flip side of that coin is that faith comes with expectations = a Lombardi Trophy.  And for me the clock started ticking in earnest when The Team beat Green Bay (since it broke significant new ground).

Now we all get to see what happens.

Show me a team who has had sustained greatness (a decade) who didn't hit the lottery on a future hall of fame quarterback. Seahawks might be in that category in a couple years.  Point being, everyone else has to do it the old fashion way - build for a while - then hope to hit on a year when things converge (i.e. 2013 Ravens, 2003 Bucs). I don't think there's any way other than what we're already doing. What else would you propose? Go pull the next Aaron Rodgers out of thin air? 

I'll get back to you in the springtime when Cousins has contract signed and delivered and Gruden gets his deserved extension.
We absolutely need the QB and can't let Gruden go into the year as a lame duck. He's done a terrific job in turning this team around, and we are on the verge of becoming a winner that has to be contended with every season. And that is what you want.

Reward the man by letting him know he's got the time to finish what he's been building.

~Bang

1 hour ago, Bang said:

I'll get back to you in the springtime when Cousins has contract signed and delivered and Gruden gets his deserved extension.
We absolutely need the QB and can't let Gruden go into the year as a lame duck. He's done a terrific job in turning this team around, and we are on the verge of becoming a winner that has to be contended with every season. And that is what you want.

Reward the man by letting him know he's got the time to finish what he's been building.

~Bang

Doesn't Gruden still have 2 years left on his contract?  Thought he had a 5 year deal.

Yes.

Leave it alone.

Most of us (me included) are so manic about this team it's ridiculous.

You learn to control it with age... which mostly involves stepping away from the keyboard for a few minutes.

If we win 3 more games we're doing things we haven't done since Gibbs I.  And though most of you don't, I certainly give Gruden a pass for year 1 cause of all of the shenanigans.  For me, this is his second season.

24 minutes ago, Alcoholic Zebra said:

Doesn't Gruden still have 2 years left on his contract?  Thought he had a 5 year deal.

You are probably right. Counting from 3 to 5 has always been difficult for me since the accident.

~Bong

Archived