Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Do You Trust The Program That The Redskins Have In Place?

Diehard Otis

Its nice to be in the winning category for 2 years in a row and being in the discussion as a team on the uprise. that's showing improvement.

But for a team to be good year in and out, it has to constantly evolve, constantly change, even a little bit; that's what gives perennial winners the edge. We're in that position right now; hopefully the defense will be fixed/upgraded in some way, that will get a few years, then upgrade in the running game will get us a few more.

Its how the coaching staff manages the changes; that's what will show the team's direction.

A GM that values the draft and has a good eye for talent and believes in re-signing proven talent, depth that allows us to shrug off injuries, an owner that is staying away, a head coach/OC/qb that all seem to work quite well together - setting records, performing against good defenses - and a team that is showing resilience with a positive culture... yes, I trust in the process.  

We'll have to get a bit lucky adding some pieces on D, but if we do, then I could certainly see a Super Bowl berth in the near future.

We made the playoffs fairly easily last year and we've been in contention for it almost this entire season, despite Dallas running away with the division.

It's been a long time since we could say that.

I'm not sure what the roster turn around been in the last two years, but I know it was basically a fire sale.

What 2 starters on offense and 2 on defense? That's incredible.

1 hour ago, Koolblue13 said:

We made the playoffs fairly easily last year and we've been in contention for it almost this entire season, despite Dallas running away with the division.

It's been a long time since we could say that.

I'm not sure what the roster turn around been in the last two years, but I know it was basically a fire sale.

What 2 starters on offense and 2 on defense? That's incredible.

Pretty close... as far as I can tell - Williams, Reed, Garcon and Jackson remain (as starters) on offense, and Kerrigan is the lone defensive starter from 2014.

Incredible is right.

I count 18 players still on the team, including several on IR (Golston, Paul, Hall, Lichtensteiger).

42 minutes ago, skinny21 said:

Pretty close... as far as I can tell - Williams, Reed, Garcon and Jackson remain (as starters) on offense, and Kerrigan is the lone defensive starter from 2014.

Incredible is right.

I count 18 players still on the team, including several on IR (Golston, Paul, Hall, Lichtensteiger).

I was thinking Garcon and Reed, forgot about Williams. Was DJax here?

Defense I thought Baker and Kerrigan.

Whatever, that's incredible!

4 minutes ago, Koolblue13 said:

I was thinking Garcon and Reed, forgot about Williams. Was DJax here?

Defense I thought Baker and Kerrigan.

Whatever, that's incredible!

Yeah, 2014 was Jackson's 1st year here.  Hatcher/Cofield/Bowen started at dline, though Baker may have started games (maybe even a bunch)... not sure.

Just now, SkinsPassion4Life said:

I don't have much confidence in this coaching staff to take us to the next level.

I like GMSM's plan, but not his execution so far....His accomplishments as a football GM are VASTLY overrated.

This will be a huge off-season that will really tell where the program is headed.

I do not have a lot of confidence in the coaching staff either. I do think our head coach is decent but our DC is not good. We have a good O line coach.Three years and we have no running game and a poor defense. I am also not crazy about some of the picks our GM has made so far like passing on Williams and picking Dotson and Gallette and all those free agents that tanked. I will become a believer when we can go on the road and beat a real good team like the Seahawks, Cards, Panthers etc. I don't want to mention the Pats or Denver. The Packers game was huge. These next few weeks are put up time. I will admit that we are heads and shoulders above the mess we had here for years, like the RG3 fiasco, and I do not expect overnight success as I feel we are still suffering from the RG3 DEAL and the cap penalties. Those things haunt a team for years. I do think the players we have now play hard so I will give Gruden credit for that. If we can make the playoffs and win a wild card game then I will believe.

For the first time in years I was really busted up about losing.  Have not really been as depressed about losing a game this late in many years.  Further, as late as last season, when we played New England or even Carolina, I knew we would probably lose even if we brought our A game. I am beginning to believe again that we have a real chance to win any game when we bring our A game and can play a bad game and still win.  Finally, never seem to be out of any game.  Last year was the first time on a long time where we got hit hard but got back up.  This season, we actually did that against a team that will probably go to the playoffs.  We have also been in a situation that previous Redskins teams just seemed to quit.  So, yes.

By the way, if our defense was performing in the red zone at just the same clip as last season, we'd be giving up about 3 fewer points per game.  Besides that, our defense has improved overall.  Thing is, we've rarely seen a slow improvement of our defense:  we were historically bad in 2006 and were decent in 2007 despite losing its heart, 2003 we were terrible and the next year was one of the best, 1999 defense was what kept us from an elite regular season while 2000 was a playoff level defense (even though the offense and teams killed us). Even going all the way back to 1971, Allen came in and we went from one of the worst to one of the best.

Looking at our red zone woes on offense.  We've played 3 games against the top three red zone defenses, another against the 10th best RZ defense and 3 more against those with above average RZ defenses.

Archived