Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

We need to go 6-2 (10 wins for playoffs)

Duckus

It's looking more like 10 wins what will be required in the NFC this year for even a wildcard.  Coming out of the bye, we will need to go 6-2. 5 at home, 3 on the road. Games that terrify me are 4 of the next 5 - Minnesota, Green Bay, Dallas, and Philly. We need to a find a way to go 2-2 in those 4 games and win out last 3 at home to end 10-5-1. 

Minnesota
Green Bay
@Dallas
@Arizona
@Philadelphia
Carolina
Chicago
Giants

Minnesota' defense is the only thing to worry about in that game. Thompson and Kelley may as well call in sick, and don't think about suiting up Matt " Fumbling creates excitement" Jones. If our defense can get it together we can win most if not all of them, but Barry needs to wake up and look at what he's putting on the field. A couple players are nothing more than liabilities or excuses for losses.

I'd be OK with 4 wins to get us to a winning record, that was my acceptable baseline for this season going into it.

Obviously I'd love to see us rattle off a bunch of wins at the end like we always do in playoff seasons and I suppose it's possible with this offense. Gonna have to be a whole lot better in all three phases at the same time though.

1 hour ago, Duckus said:

It's looking more like 10 wins what will be required in the NFC this year for even a wildcard.  Coming out of the bye, we will need to go 6-2. 5 at home, 3 on the road. Games that terrify me are 4 of the next 5 - Minnesota, Green Bay, Dallas, and Philly. We need to a find a way to go 2-2 in those 4 games and win out last 3 at home to end 10-5-1. 

Minnesota
Green Bay
@Dallas
@Arizona
@Philadelphia
Carolina
Chicago
Giants

What if... we drew out in each of the remaining games... would that get us in?

2013, a 3-5 Redskins team coming off a division title went to Minnesota.  At that time, we were one of the best offenses until points time.  Almost this exact thread existed.  2014, now the year before we were coming of a 3-13 season but we were coming off a two game winning streak.  Almost this exact thread existed.  I will say this, we actually beat the Vikings this time and we will win the division.

We have never lost a regular season game to the Vikings in a year we went to the playoffs (assuming we actually played them).  Only twice have we beaten them in the regular season and not advanced to the playoffs.  We also need to beat Carolina or Arizona since when we win at least one of our match-up games, we always advance to the playoffs

1 hour ago, Bacon said:

I'd be OK with 4 wins to get us to a winning record, that was my acceptable baseline for this season going into it.

Obviously I'd love to see us rattle off a bunch of wins at the end like we always do in playoff seasons and I suppose it's possible with this offense. Gonna have to be a whole lot better in all three phases at the same time though.

This is where I'm at too. 

I said coming into this season that going 8-8 in 2016 could be more impressive than going 9-7 in 2015. By all means, I'd love to see the team come together, but I'm not really expecting it after these first 8 games. I think a few things at the halfway mark (by now, we are who we are and tendencies are probably not going to magically change): 

1) We are pretty solid and talented - it's not a fluke that we move the ball like we do

2) We still have major holes on this team (mainly the defense)

3) We are still learning to win - we could easily have lost several games we won, but boy 1 or 2 more plays and we could be a 6-2/7-1 team (this likely won't change either as it's been a pretty large sample size)

4) I think we tread water to end the season and get to 7 or 8 wins. 

With the schedule still including more proven teams (Minnesota, Arizona, Carolina, Green Bay) along with another round of divisional games, 6 more wins seems like a long shot. I think our new ceiling after losing these past two winnable games is 8-7-1. 

Footnote: if we somehow go 9-7 in 2105 and 8-7-1 in 2016, the similarities to the early-Norv era would be spooky. Gruden will have been one year ahead of Norv but he probably inherited a slightly better team (and was partnered with a stronger personnel guy and QB). Next year would be a very interesting season (Norv stepped way back before rebounding in 1999). 

Archived